Need help -- boot.ini question - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Need help -- boot.ini question - Windows NT ; i am building a new Win2k server. i have two HD in my server. they both IDE HD. i am using W2K server to mirror my first HD -Disk0 to the second one -Disk1. i created a new boot disk ...

  1. Need help -- boot.ini question

    i am building a new Win2k server. i have two HD in my server. they
    both IDE HD. i am using W2K server to mirror my first HD -Disk0 to the
    second one -Disk1. i created a new boot disk with the following
    boot.ini file plus ntldr and ntdetect.com. i change the rdisk from (0)
    to (1). i don't know why
    somehow it didn't work when i unpluged the first HD and try to boot
    using the Disk1. both of my HD is FAT32 and Dymanic. can someone
    please tell me what did i do wrong! what else should i change?

    Thanks

    BEFORE CHANGE
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Server" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

    AFTER CHANGE
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Server" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

  2. Re: Need help -- boot.ini question

    On 26 Jan 2004 16:46:39 -0800, ubcreator@yahoo.com (Tony) wrote:

    >i am building a new Win2k server. i have two HD in my server. they
    >both IDE HD. i am using W2K server to mirror my first HD -Disk0 to the
    >second one -Disk1. i created a new boot disk with the following
    >boot.ini file plus ntldr and ntdetect.com. i change the rdisk from (0)
    >to (1). i don't know why
    >somehow it didn't work when i unpluged the first HD and try to boot
    >using the Disk1. both of my HD is FAT32 and Dymanic. can someone
    >please tell me what did i do wrong! what else should i change?

    First, FAT32 is a poor choice for a server as it provides absolutely
    no file permissions and isn't as robust as ntfs. (I also though you
    couldn't do a mirror with fat32...)

    You need to change it to multi(1). No need to change the rdisk entry.
    Besides, if you unplug the first disk, the remaining disk appears to
    be disk zero anyway.

    > BEFORE CHANGE
    >[boot loader]
    >timeout=30
    >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    >[operating systems]
    >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    >Server" /fastdetect
    >C:\="Microsoft Windows"
    >

    > AFTER CHANGE
    >[boot loader]
    >timeout=10
    >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
    >[operating systems]
    >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    >Server" /fastdetect
    >C:\="Microsoft Windows"

+ Reply to Thread