'SHARING' tab not available?? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on 'SHARING' tab not available?? - Windows NT ; Hi all, I'm remotely setting up some shared directories on our NT 4.0 server, from an XP Pro workstation. When I call up the Properties page for the folder to be shared, the SHARING tab is missing. However, if I ...

  1. 'SHARING' tab not available??

    Hi all,

    I'm remotely setting up some shared directories on our NT 4.0 server,
    from an XP Pro workstation.

    When I call up the Properties page for the folder to be shared, the
    SHARING tab is missing. However, if I do the same for some other
    folders (say, C:\), the SHARING tab *is* present.

    I can create the share when I'm physically present at the server, and
    I can create it using Server Manager from the XP workstation.

    However, the Folder Properties method (and also NET SHARE) fail when
    run from the workstation.

    Any ideas would be most welcome.

    Cheers,

    Jason Paris

  2. Re: 'SHARING' tab not available??

    "Jason Paris" wrote in message
    news:253370b9.0401261613.4230fa07@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm remotely setting up some shared directories on our NT 4.0 server,
    > from an XP Pro workstation.
    >
    > When I call up the Properties page for the folder to be shared, the
    > SHARING tab is missing. However, if I do the same for some other
    > folders (say, C:\), the SHARING tab *is* present.
    >
    > I can create the share when I'm physically present at the server, and
    > I can create it using Server Manager from the XP workstation.
    >
    > However, the Folder Properties method (and also NET SHARE) fail when
    > run from the workstation.
    >
    > Any ideas would be most welcome.

    Where did you get the idea (if i understand you correctly) that
    Explorer is supposed to support share management remotely?
    That Shell Extension is only for management of local shares.

    For remote management of remotely defined shares you can
    try MMC but i'm not sure if it supports NT4 servers. Or
    you could get Hyena...

    - Sten

+ Reply to Thread