Setting up a domain with Windows 2000 Server - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Setting up a domain with Windows 2000 Server - Windows NT ; Hello, I am very new at setting up domains and networks, and am having trouble deciding whether or not I am headed in the right direction. I am trying to set up a decent home network so that I can ...

  1. Setting up a domain with Windows 2000 Server

    Hello,

    I am very new at setting up domains and networks, and am having
    trouble deciding whether or not I am headed in the right direction. I
    am trying to set up a decent home network so that I can start up a
    business. The idea is very simple, I have a laptop, a desktop and a
    server. The servers main responsibility is to store all the work, and
    the other machines are to do the work and show the work. What I am
    trying to do is set up a small domain at home so that I can have all
    the functionality of our network at my real job.

    Now, I have a standard cable modem coming into my house and it is
    hooked up to a wireless Linksys router. Currently, all three of my
    machines are equiped with a standard network card and a wireless
    network card. My idea was that I don't want my network accessible
    over the internet, just a few ports for CVS and some other
    applications. This I thought I could do by mapping the ports on my
    wireless router. So, I was thinking that I could use the regular
    network cards for the real network connectivity. However, I am
    running into many problems.

    For starters, when setting up the server, I selected "Only server on
    the network" in the connectivity wizard. I proceeded to name the
    domain work and set the other field(sorry can't remember its title
    currently) to local. Hence, when I look at my network Domain name on
    it, it states "WORK.LOCAL". I set the following properties on the
    normal NIC:

    IP - 192.168.0.1
    Subnet - 255.255.255.0
    DNS - 127.0.0.1

    Now, I am trying to get my desktop to see this server. My desktop is
    running Windows XP Pro. I set the properties on the normal NIC on the
    desktop to the following:

    IP - 192.168.0.10
    Subnet - 255.255.255.0
    Gateway - 192.168.0.1
    DNS - 192.168.0.1

    I then go to System Properties, click the computer name tab, click
    network ID button and try to find the domain using the wizard, and no
    go ... can't find it at all. When I try finding the domain, I get the
    following error:

    A domain controller for the domain work.local could not be contacted.

    What I am thinking is that the Wireless router is messing with the
    network. To make matters worse, my wireless router is also using the
    192.168.1.XXX, same subnet and the gateway is 192.168.1.1. Is this my
    problem? I am using 192.168.0 ... it is using 192.168.1. I just
    don't know what to do. Also, is my methodology for this network any
    good? Am I going about this all wrong? What would the newsgroup
    community suggest? Keep in mind, this network is more a file server
    than anything else. I tried connecting my network through the router
    so as not to have wires and wireless, but I couldn't get that to work
    either. Is there a place with simple directions online anywhere ...
    networking for dummies?

    Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Dan

  2. Re: Setting up a domain with Windows 2000 Server

    Dan wrote in news:75c66504.0401180029.636e3c7e@posting.google.c om:

> [...]
    > following error:
    >
    > A domain controller for the domain work.local could not be contacted.
    >
    > What I am thinking is that the Wireless router is messing with the
    > network. To make matters worse, my wireless router is also using the
    > 192.168.1.XXX, same subnet and the gateway is 192.168.1.1. Is this my
    > problem? I am using 192.168.0 ... it is using 192.168.1. I just
    > don't know what to do. Also, is my methodology for this network any
    > good? Am I going about this all wrong? What would the newsgroup
    > community suggest? Keep in mind, this network is more a file server
    > than anything else. I tried connecting my network through the router
    > so as not to have wires and wireless, but I couldn't get that to work
    > either. Is there a place with simple directions online anywhere ...
    > networking for dummies?
    >
    > Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

    Your DNS on the server should also be set to 192.168.0.1
    and not to the local host address.

  3. Re: Setting up a domain with Windows 2000 Server

    If you use the Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0, you have to set the ip using
    the range 192.168.0.x so they can see each other.

    192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 doesn't work
    192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 work (they both see each other)

    Config your server and client to use the same range than you router

    192.168.1.1
    192.168.1.2
    192.168.1.3
    192.168.1.xxx