NT - XP Printer sharing - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT - XP Printer sharing - Windows NT ; Greetings, I have an NT 4.0 server with an epson 1520 inkjet printer attached to its parallel port. I have shared this printer from this server on my network. I have successfully printed to it from Win9x/Win2000. I just got ...

  1. NT - XP Printer sharing

    Greetings,
    I have an NT 4.0 server with an epson 1520 inkjet printer attached to its
    parallel
    port. I have shared this printer from this server on my network.

    I have successfully printed to it from Win9x/Win2000.

    I just got a brand new machine with XP Professional on it. When I try to
    setup
    the printer, I get an error: Printer driver that is being installed doesn't
    work with
    XP. Press OK, and it aborts the add printer. It never gives me a change to
    specify the XP printer driver.

    How do I get this to work?

    thanks,
    Darryl

  2. Re: NT - XP Printer sharing

    Obviously it would be better to have a server with the newest Windows OS on
    it. You could then install all the alternate drivers for various Windows
    OS's. That said, if you are stuck with your situation, I'd install the
    printer as if it is a local printer (not network) and install the WinXP
    drivers, then I'd create a new 'port' pointing to the server printer share.

    --
    Jonathan Shapiro
    jonathan@nospamshapirohome.com

    "Darryl" wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > I have an NT 4.0 server with an epson 1520 inkjet printer attached to its
    > parallel
    > port. I have shared this printer from this server on my network.
    >
    > I have successfully printed to it from Win9x/Win2000.
    >
    > I just got a brand new machine with XP Professional on it. When I try to
    > setup
    > the printer, I get an error: Printer driver that is being installed

    doesn't
    > work with
    > XP. Press OK, and it aborts the add printer. It never gives me a change

    > specify the XP printer driver.
    >
    > How do I get this to work?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Darryl

  3. Re: NT - XP Printer sharing

    Update your printer driver compatible with XP. Go the printer brand site and
    I'm sure you'll get the latest update (patch) driver. That simple.

    jonjon

    "Darryl" wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > I have an NT 4.0 server with an epson 1520 inkjet printer attached to its
    > parallel
    > port. I have shared this printer from this server on my network.
    >
    > I have successfully printed to it from Win9x/Win2000.
    >
    > I just got a brand new machine with XP Professional on it. When I try to
    > setup
    > the printer, I get an error: Printer driver that is being installed

    doesn't
    > work with
    > XP. Press OK, and it aborts the add printer. It never gives me a change

    > specify the XP printer driver.
    >
    > How do I get this to work?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Darryl