Snags while configuring network card - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Snags while configuring network card - Windows NT ; I'm attempting to configure a Windows NT 4.0 machine (Dell Precision 210, PIII 600MHz, if it matters) to recognize its onboard NIC (3COM 3c905b-tx). I've downloaded (from Dell's site) and installed the driver. I'm assuming that it installed successfully because ...

  1. Snags while configuring network card

    I'm attempting to configure a Windows NT 4.0 machine (Dell Precision
    210, PIII 600MHz, if it matters) to recognize its onboard NIC (3COM
    3c905b-tx). I've downloaded (from Dell's site) and installed the driver.
    I'm assuming that it installed successfully because a diagnostic program
    was installed with the driver and running it appears to indicate that
    the card is recognized and the tests succeed.

    However, I am not able to configure the IP address, etc., for the card:
    When I double-click the "Network" icon in the control panel, select
    "Protocol", and double-click on "TCP/IP Protocol", the "IP Address" tab of
    the resulting configuration window shows no adapters available - that is,
    the selection list for adapters has no entries in it. So although (as far
    as I can tell) the driver has been installed, it is not recognized in this
    configuration context. (However, the adapter does show up under the
    "Adapters" tab (next to the "Protocols" tab).)

    I've tried looking through the documentation files that came with the driver
    and exploring the NT system directories to see if I could find a problem
    such as a file not copied into the right place, with no luck.

    I have installed the service pack that came with the NT disks (SP 3, I
    believe). Could the problem be that I have not installed a more recent SP?
    (Is 6 the latest for NT 4?)

    I'll be grateful for any pointers or hints as to how I can find out what
    the problem is and how to fix it. And if I've left out any details that
    might be needed, please let me know.

    (In case it helps, I also have a Linux installation on the same machine and
    when I boot into Linux, the card works fine - the machine is able to talk
    to the other machines on the network.)
    --
    Jim Cochrane; jtc@dimensional.com
    [When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to

  2. Re: Snags while configuring network card

    Check the adapter via the Device Manager (Control Panel / System /
    Hardware).

    "Jim Cochrane" wrote in message
    > I'm attempting to configure a Windows NT 4.0 machine (Dell Precision
    > 210, PIII 600MHz, if it matters) to recognize its onboard NIC (3COM
    > 3c905b-tx). I've downloaded (from Dell's site) and installed the driver.
    > I'm assuming that it installed successfully because a diagnostic program
    > was installed with the driver and running it appears to indicate that
    > the card is recognized and the tests succeed.
    >
    > However, I am not able to configure the IP address, etc., for the card:
    > When I double-click the "Network" icon in the control panel, select
    > "Protocol", and double-click on "TCP/IP Protocol", the "IP Address" tab of
    > the resulting configuration window shows no adapters available - that is,
    > the selection list for adapters has no entries in it. So although (as far
    > as I can tell) the driver has been installed, it is not recognized in this
    > configuration context. (However, the adapter does show up under the
    > "Adapters" tab (next to the "Protocols" tab).)
    >
    > I've tried looking through the documentation files that came with the

    driver
    > and exploring the NT system directories to see if I could find a problem
    > such as a file not copied into the right place, with no luck.
    >
    > I have installed the service pack that came with the NT disks (SP 3, I
    > believe). Could the problem be that I have not installed a more recent

    SP?
    > (Is 6 the latest for NT 4?)
    >
    > I'll be grateful for any pointers or hints as to how I can find out what
    > the problem is and how to fix it. And if I've left out any details that
    > might be needed, please let me know.
    >
    > (In case it helps, I also have a Linux installation on the same machine

    and
    > when I boot into Linux, the card works fine - the machine is able to talk
    > to the other machines on the network.)
    > --
    > Jim Cochrane; jtc@dimensional.com
    > [When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line

    > get through my spam filter.]

  3. Re: Snags while configuring network card

    In article , Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > Check the adapter via the Device Manager (Control Panel / System /
    > Hardware).

    Thanks. I was actually able to finally solve the problem by reinstalling
    the driver, though I had to reinstall it twice. The first reinstall
    made it to the point of having a valid adapter for the tcp/ip protocol
    setting window. Apparently, this didn't work the first time because I
    chose to run the diagnostic tests - the installer appears to have a bug in
    it that such that it does not complete the install properly if the tests
    are run. The 2nd time, I didn't run the test and the install got to the
    point where there was a valid adapter and I could enter the IP address,
    netmask, etc. However, when I rebooted an error message popped up saying
    that a file (something-or-other.com or something-or-other.exe) could not be
    found; and the network card was not accessible. I tried reinstalling one
    more time and it succeeded - no missing file on reboot that time! I have
    no idea what was different between the last install and the install before
    that. Anyway, after several hours of frustration, it's finally working.

    (I ran into another problem with the "server" service after that, but I
    was able to track it down via a google search - I needed to reinstall the
    service pack #4 that I had installed several months ago so that the SP
    fixes could be applied to the newly installed network interface driver.
    This procedure is probably old hat for experienced Windows administrators:
    "Hmm, I've installed the driver - Now it's time to reinstall the service
    pack.")

    --
    Jim Cochrane; jtc@dimensional.com
    [When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to
    get through my spam filter.]

+ Reply to Thread