Urgent Help Needed-IT Management - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Urgent Help Needed-IT Management - Windows NT ; Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to post to. I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems ...

  1. Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

    Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
    post to.

    I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
    department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
    that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
    suggestions, and help on the items listed below.

    Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT dept. or
    suggest where I might find some on the web.

    Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off to me I
    will need to make some for the dept.

    I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for installed
    systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be done to the server
    room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find any.

    Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows of
    running an MIS dept.

    Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid needs to be
    applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.

    Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
    mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

  2. Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

    Your company has made a grievous error.

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:30:51 -0500, "Mark Rosenbaum"
    wrote:

    >Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
    >post to.
    >
    >I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
    >department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
    >that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
    >suggestions, and help on the items listed below.
    >

    >Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT dept. or
    >suggest where I might find some on the web.
    >
    >Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off to me I
    >will need to make some for the dept.
    >
    >I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for installed
    >systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be done to the server
    >room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find any.
    >
    >Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows of
    >running an MIS dept.
    >
    >Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid needs to be
    >applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.
    >
    >Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
    >mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

  3. Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

    Mark Rosenbaum wrote:
    > Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which
    > groups to post to.
    >
    > I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire
    > MIS/IT department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so
    > many problems that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated
    > anyone's advice, suggestions, and help on the items listed below.

    And the ship sinks...

  4. Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

    Mark Rosenbaum wrote:
    > Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which
    > groups to post to.
    >
    > I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire
    > MIS/IT department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so
    > many problems that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated
    > anyone's advice, suggestions, and help on the items listed below.
    >

    > Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT
    > dept. or suggest where I might find some on the web.
    >
    > Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off
    > to me I will need to make some for the dept.
    >
    > I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for
    > installed systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be
    > done to the server room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find
    > any.
    >
    > Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows
    > of running an MIS dept.
    >
    > Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid
    > needs to be applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.
    >
    > Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
    > mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

    I'm sure there are lots of people how could give you some solid advice but
    1) we'd need alot more detail, and 2) many of us get paid for that kind of
    advice. Speaking for myself, I guess I don't mind giving the occasional
    free advice with specific issues, because I suspect I'd get the same in
    return when I had a problem, but you are asking us to do lots more then help
    with a simple problem.

    My advice, hire a MIS/IT manager or look for some short term consultant
    help.

    --

    Rob

  5. Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

    "Mark Rosenbaum" wrote in message
    > Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
    > post to.
    >
    > I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
    > department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
    > that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
    > suggestions, and help on the items listed below.
    >

    > Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT dept. or
    > suggest where I might find some on the web.
    >
    > Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off to me

    > will need to make some for the dept.
    >
    > I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for

    installed
    > systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be done to the

    server
    > room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find any.
    >
    > Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows of
    > running an MIS dept.
    >
    > Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid needs to

    be
    > applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.
    >
    > Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
    > mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

    Check out www.techrepublic.com. They have downloadable forms for IT stuff,
    etc.

    ---

  6. Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

    Mark Rosenbaum wrote:

    > Sorry for the inappropriate group posting but didn't know which groups to
    > post to.
    >
    > I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
    > department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
    > that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
    > suggestions, and help on the items listed below.
    >

    > Can anyone provide me with some examples of solid SOP's for an IT dept. or
    > suggest where I might find some on the web.
    >
    > Does anyone have copies of helpdesk tickets that they can shoot off to me
    > I will need to make some for the dept.
    >
    > I know that I have seen daily, weekly, and monthly check lists for
    > installed
    > systems. Basically a check list for tasks that should be done to the
    > server room, servers, PC's and the such, but can't find any.
    >
    > Any ideas or knowledge from anyone concerning the processes and flows of
    > running an MIS dept.
    >
    > Basically I was given the job because my bosses think a band-aid needs to
    > be applied to some problems where there should be a tunicate.
    >
    > Please feel free to post back in this group or email me at
    > mhrose8989@bellsouth.net

    You poor bastard. I sympathize with you.
    I would start looking for a new job right now ... you'll need it, probably
    sooner than you think.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

  7. Re: Urgent Help Needed-IT Management

    "Mark Rosenbaum" wrote :

    > I have just been given the task of taking over my company's entire MIS/IT
    > department. I'm already pulling my hair out. There are so many problems
    > that it's not even funny. I would greatly appreciated anyone's advice,
    > suggestions, and help on the items listed below.

    An excellent starting point: read this book:

    The Peter Principle; why things always go wrong" by Dr. Laurence J. Peter
    and
    Raymond Hull, William Morrow & Company, Inc., New York, 1969, 179 pages

    Pemo

+ Reply to Thread