Re: Can Expect do this? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: Can Expect do this? - Windows NT ; In article , David Gravereaux wrote:...

  1. Re: Can Expect do this?

    In article ,
    David Gravereaux wrote:

  2. Re: Can Expect do this?

    claird@lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >David Gravereaux wrote:
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >>*If* there was a "telnet" type client for windows that is a console
    >>application, and one that can connect over a com port (Win2k's telnet
    >>client is tcp/ip only), Expect for windows could be used.

    > .
    > .
    > .
    >>anyone would realize at first glance. A company I used to work for used
    >>procomm+/ASPECT for talking to their train automation system over com link
    >>and putting the computer control system through test sequences (Alcatel on
    >>the MUNI project in SF back in 97 or so). Here's a resource site:
    >>http://www.aspectscripting.com/

    > .
    > .
    > .
    >Is there truly no telnet-type console application for Windows?
    >That would astound me; I feel as though I'm *constantly* run-
    >ning into people with needs just such as this: exercising
    >some physical device from a laptop or such. I just walked out
    >of such a meeting ...
    >
    >Do you know that kermit and plink won't work (why not? I
    >thought I'd used 'em in the past), or do you just not know
    >that they will?

    I've never used PuTTY, but the docs don't say it works on a com link.
    --
    David Gravereaux
    [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

  3. Re: Can Expect do this?

    claird@lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:

    >Is there truly no telnet-type console application for Windows?

    http://www.omen.com/winp.html

    might work. Looks good from the description.
    --
    David Gravereaux
    [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

  4. Re: Can Expect do this?

    claird@lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:

    >Is there truly no telnet-type console application for Windows?

    Here's my take on this...

    Console apps are passť. The ability to control a console application is
    unknown in the windows world in light of all the development work for OLE,
    ActiveX, .NET, etc.. where it is desired to have the application use a
    built-in form of external control. What's the COM interface, etc.? Even
    DDE has mostly disappeared.

    How often do people ever write batch scripts these days? Expect for Win32
    is a totally unknown paradigm.
    --
    David Gravereaux
    [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

  5. Re: Can Expect do this?

    David Gravereaux wrote:

    >claird@lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:
    >
    >>Is there truly no telnet-type console application for Windows?

    >Here's my take on this...
    >
    >Console apps are passť. The ability to control a console application is
    >unknown in the windows world in light of all the development work for OLE,
    >ActiveX, .NET, etc.. where it is desired to have the application use a
    >built-in form of external control. What's the COM interface, etc.? Even
    >DDE has mostly disappeared.
    >
    >How often do people ever write batch scripts these days? Expect for Win32
    >is a totally unknown paradigm.

    Here's an example... Ever used WinCVS? Great tool. I use it everyday in
    my work. Due to the direction the development team (alex) has chosen, I
    refuse to upgrade and am stuck with 1.1b17 forever... Fine by me.

    It works by execing cvs.exe (the console app) in a pipe. All fine so far,
    but if you try to use ssh with it, things get weird as ssh will be a child
    of cvs and if ssh needs to ask the user a question like "rsa fingerprint
    different, accept [yes,no]" it is written not to stdout/err, but to the
    console directly. Makes sense to me, as the user is at the console, but
    not in this case! Therefore, WinCVS doesn't know about the question, and
    ssh has no visible console and it all gets screwy!

    Yet, if WinCVS was to automate cvs (and children) with the Expect tool, all
    would be wonderful as that's Expect's job [to programmatically interact
    with console applications, not just pipes alone]. Remember, if it isn't
    being redirected to a pipe, stdout ends up on the console... So it's all
    the same.

    Who needs better telnet clients with built-in scripting?... no one. Yank
    it all out and toss out the GUI too, and go back to pure console

    Like that'll happen...
    --
    David Gravereaux
    [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

  6. Re: Can Expect do this?

    In article ,
    David Gravereaux wrote:
    >David Gravereaux wrote:
    >
    >>claird@lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there truly no telnet-type console application for Windows?

    >>Here's my take on this...
    >>
    >>Console apps are passť. The ability to control a console application is
    >>unknown in the windows world in light of all the development work for OLE,
    >>ActiveX, .NET, etc.. where it is desired to have the application use a
    >>built-in form of external control. What's the COM interface, etc.? Even
    >>DDE has mostly disappeared.
    >>
    >>How often do people ever write batch scripts these days? Expect for Win32
    >>is a totally unknown paradigm.

    >Here's an example... Ever used WinCVS? Great tool. I use it everyday in
    >my work. Due to the direction the development team (alex) has chosen, I
    >refuse to upgrade and am stuck with 1.1b17 forever... Fine by me.
    >
    >It works by execing cvs.exe (the console app) in a pipe. All fine so far,
    >but if you try to use ssh with it, things get weird as ssh will be a child
    >of cvs and if ssh needs to ask the user a question like "rsa fingerprint
    >different, accept [yes,no]" it is written not to stdout/err, but to the
    >console directly. Makes sense to me, as the user is at the console, but
    >not in this case! Therefore, WinCVS doesn't know about the question, and
    >ssh has no visible console and it all gets screwy!
    >
    >Yet, if WinCVS was to automate cvs (and children) with the Expect tool, all
    >would be wonderful as that's Expect's job [to programmatically interact
    >with console applications, not just pipes alone]. Remember, if it isn't
    >being redirected to a pipe, stdout ends up on the console... So it's all
    >the same.
    >
    >Who needs better telnet clients with built-in scripting?... no one. Yank
    >it all out and toss out the GUI too, and go back to pure console
    >
    >Like that'll happen...

+ Reply to Thread