W98 is breaking me! - Windows NT

This is a discussion on W98 is breaking me! - Windows NT ; Hi. First post to NW NGs, but I'm an old NG fart. I've done as much of my own homework as I know of that I can, and have been lurking for a few hours; seen a couple of problems ...

  1. W98 is breaking me!

    Hi. First post to NW NGs, but I'm an old NG fart. I've done
    as much of my own homework as I know of that I can, and
    have been lurking for a few hours; seen a couple of problems
    marginally similar, and tried the solutions, and I'm still
    baffled.

    The "short-form" Q is, when everything else is working so far,
    howcome my W98 gives me a Critical Error message box, with
    text=
    The network is not accessible.
    For more information, look in the Help Index
    at the topic: 'Network Troubleshooter.'

    I've done everything I can find to try to fix it. Here's
    some background.

    W2K computer:
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 512, 80, W2000 5.00.2195 SP 3
    Network ID: name entheos-ws1
    workgroup WORKGROUP
    NIC: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, SiS driver, dtd 8/2/2002,
    v. 1.16.1.0, resources= no conflicts,power management all unchecked
    Network and Dialup Connections/Status-General Connection connected
    duration 05:27:26 and counting, speed 10.0 mbps; activity packets
    sent 1,529 (so far), rec'd 539 and counting (it increments each time
    I ping it)
    "Properties" (what's installed)
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    NetBEUI Protocol
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Obtain an IP address automatically
    Obtain DNS server address automatically
    Advanced TCP/IP Settings
    IP Settings tab: "IP addresses" frame: DHCP Enabled
    DNS tab: DNS Server addresses: empty
    Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
    Append parent suffixed of the primnary DNS suffix
    DNS suffix for this connection: empty
    Register this connection's addresses in DNS
    WINS tab: WINS add... empty
    Enable LMHOSTS lookup
    Enable netBIOS over TCP/IP
    Options tab
    Optional settings
    IP security
    Do not use IPSEC
    TCP/IP filtering: Enable TCP/IP ...: unchecked
    all 3 radio buttons: Permit All

    and it pings the W98 computer just fine, by name even; and the
    W98 computer shows up by name in My Network Neighborhood, albeit
    with no contents showing, but I think that'll be my next thing
    to do after solving the current problem.

    The other computer:
    System/general
    System:
    Microsoft Windows 98
    4.10.1998
    Registered to
    Unknown User
    Unknown Organization
    Manufactured and supported by:
    Compaq Computer corporation
    Presario
    AuthenticAMD
    AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
    Intel MMX(TM) Technology
    128.0 MB ram
    (about an 8 GB drive, with about 4GB free)
    Device Manager:
    Network adpters
    PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21143 Based Adapter
    Properties/General:
    The device is working properly.
    Device Usage: Exists in all hardware profiles
    /Driver: Microsoft 5-11-1998 (has been reinstalled
    by uninstalling the network adapter, then letting W98 find
    & install it by PNP).
    /Resources: looks quite normal, No conflicts.
    Control Panel/Network (what, I think, might be supposed
    to be something like "Network Neighborhood"; this might
    be the problem, but I don't even know where to look to
    fix _that_. Maybe just rename it?)
    Configuration:
    Client for Microsoft networks Properties: Login Validation, blank
    Network logon options: Logon and restore network connections
    PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21143 Based Adapter
    Driver type Ehnhanced mode NDIS driver
    Bindings:
    NetBEUI -> PCI Fast Ethernet...
    TCP/IP -> PCI Fast Ethernet...
    Advanced:
    11 properties, some of which I don't know what they
    mean yet, but it's the only thing I haven't stripped down
    to bare bones and let W98 reinstall it clean. And, of course,
    I'm afraid to start playing with properties that I'm not sure
    what its effect will be.
    NetBEUI-> PCI Fast Ethernet...
    Bindings: Client for Microsoft Network
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    TCP/IP -> PCI Fast Ethernet...
    IP Address: Auto
    WINS: use DHCP for WINS resolution
    Gateway: empty
    DNS Configuration: Disable DNS
    Bindings: Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
    Advanced: None
    NetBIOS: Greyed Out
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks:
    Browse Master Automatic
    LM Announce No

    Primary Network Logon
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer Sharing
    I want to be able to give others access to my files.
    I want to be able to allow others to print to my printer(s).
    Descroption: Blank Grey

    Identification
    Computer name: ABIFirewall
    Workgroup: WORKGROUP
    Computer Description: Don's Son-in-Law's old comp
    Access Control
    Share-level access control

    If I've omitted any settings/ID stuff, Please don't hesitate to
    enlighten me.

    But wait! There's More!

    As I say, I've been at this for about 12 hours - I want to
    reassure everybody that I've done most of my homework.

    I _hate_ when I'm using the book (Que publishing's
    "Using Microsoft Windows 2000 professional
    Special Edition")
    and I'm getting to the really juicy parts, and it says,
    "Ask your network manager." Dang it! I'm supposed to _be_
    the network manager! I will be, when I fix this one thing.

    Anyway, both computers ping each other by name; the W98
    comp will ping the world (I'm on it now); but the W2K
    comp will ping only itself and the W98 comp, which I'd
    expect since I haven't got to the part where I teach the
    W98 comp to be a firewall, present a socket to the LAN,
    and all that stuff.

    I've been to the Windows Update site, and presumably
    (supposedly? Hopefully?) installed W98 Service Pack
    something or other (something about networks)

    Lessee, am I repeating myself yet? The W2k comp. can
    see the W98 comp, at least up to the NIC, and it
    shows it by name, but when (at the W2K comp) I open
    \\ABIFirewall, it shows me no contents.

    on the Win98 comp, When I try to open "Entire Network"
    in "Network Neighborhood", I get that error messagebox
    (see above);

    I tried going to the Compaq website to look for fixes,
    and after a while of poking around, tried to "email"
    them - actually a fill-in form - selected "email me
    a copy", and when I hit submit it sent me to a "page
    not found" intercept page, and I haven't received
    any acknowledgment from them, from about 4 or 6 hours
    ago.

    Oh, and I took a "spare" RJ-48-type cable (UTP?),
    cut it in two, and made a crossover per the Book:
    1 -> 3
    2 -> 6
    3 -> 1
    4 -> 4
    5 -> 5
    6 -> 2
    7 -> 7
    8 -> 8
    I'm quite confident that's right; a couple of the
    wires don't match the color code they give in the
    book, but I've been doing electronics since 1955;
    I think I can track down "pin 1." ;-D

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    Rich Grise

    If you want to email me, first respond to the NG, and only
    cc me; To do that, use my first and last name concatenated,
    followed by the standard yahoo rest-of-the-email. :-)
    (I hope there isn't really a user SPAMDUMP@AOL.COM! ;-D )

    Thanks Again!
    Rich

  2. Never Mind! Re: W98 is breaking me!

    Read the post for entertainment, if you want, but it turns
    out I've got a whole nother W98 computer to play with, and
    it's working fine so far. Apparently Don's Son-in-law's
    old computer has a broken component or another. I'm
    about to try the two W98 comp's; I'll let you know what
    I find.

    Sorry. (is there a "blushing" smiley?)

    Thanks!
    Rich

    Rich Grise wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Oh, and I took a "spare" RJ-48-type cable (UTP?),
    > cut it in two, and made a crossover per the Book:
    > 1 -> 3
    > 2 -> 6
    > 3 -> 1
    > 4 -> 4
    > 5 -> 5
    > 6 -> 2
    > 7 -> 7
    > 8 -> 8
    > I'm quite confident that's right; a couple of the
    > wires don't match the color code they give in the
    > book, but I've been doing electronics since 1955;
    > I think I can track down "pin 1." ;-D
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rich Grise
    >
    > If you want to email me, first respond to the NG, and only
    > cc me; To do that, use my first and last name concatenated,
    > followed by the standard yahoo rest-of-the-email. :-)

  3. Re: W98 is breaking me!

    Pretty common, in my experience. If it were me, I'd start looking at the
    easy things in this order. I'd say chances are pretty good you'll find it
    among these things.

    1. Thoroughly check for viruses.

    2. Test/Replace network drop cables.

    3. Delete and reinstall NIC drivers and protocols. (make absolutely sure
    you have the correct NIC drivers here.)

    4. Test/Replace NIC's.

    5. Take up bridge!

    Have a good day!

    By the way, I see mention of a firewall in your post. You aren't by chance
    blocking your own traffic via the firewall, are you. I'm not sure how you'd
    do that...but just checking.

    DWM

    news:Te6nb.3895$RQ1.1779@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...

+ Reply to Thread