RIS Server And the unatended answer file - Windows NT

This is a discussion on RIS Server And the unatended answer file - Windows NT ; Hi I 'm new here so i thought i might say hello and start my first post with a question I'm having a little problem with a RIS server that i have configured at work. The installasion works fine and ...

  1. RIS Server And the unatended answer file

    Hi
    I 'm new here so i thought i might say hello and start my first post with a
    question

    I'm having a little problem with a RIS server that i have configured at
    work.

    The installasion works fine and everything works as it should.

    But!
    When the installasion completes I have to "enter a name" which becomes the
    username (in windows XP) and i have to choose if i want to "activate
    Windows" or not.

    This is a problem because even though i run sysprep afterwords the User i
    registered during installasion isn't removed

    Is it possible to skip this prosess? if so how?
    Would be forever gratefull for any help what so ever

    regards
    Glenn

  2. Re: RIS Server And the unatended answer file

    "Glenn Guillot" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I 'm new here so i thought i might say hello and start my first post with

    > question
    >
    > I'm having a little problem with a RIS server that i have configured at
    > work.
    >
    > The installasion works fine and everything works as it should.
    >
    > But!
    > When the installasion completes I have to "enter a name" which becomes the
    > username (in windows XP) and i have to choose if i want to "activate
    > Windows" or not.
    >
    > This is a problem because even though i run sysprep afterwords the User i
    > registered during installasion isn't removed
    >
    > Is it possible to skip this prosess? if so how?
    > Would be forever gratefull for any help what so ever

    Is your XP media and Key a Volume License or is it a single user license.
    If it's single user you are going to be asked for at least the activation.

    I ran into this user name problem when it turned out that the computer name
    already existed on the network. You may want to look into that as an issue.

    One question I have is why are you using Sysprep. Why not just create a RIS
    install image and control computer name and user name that way?

    --

    Rob

  3. Re: RIS Server And the unatended answer file

    Can't be done, you have to have to login as administrator and then delete
    the user profile you created earlier.
    For more help contact cahanconsulting.com

    "Glenn Guillot" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I 'm new here so i thought i might say hello and start my first post with

    > question
    >
    > I'm having a little problem with a RIS server that i have configured at
    > work.
    >
    > The installasion works fine and everything works as it should.
    >
    > But!
    > When the installasion completes I have to "enter a name" which becomes the
    > username (in windows XP) and i have to choose if i want to "activate
    > Windows" or not.
    >
    > This is a problem because even though i run sysprep afterwords the User i
    > registered during installasion isn't removed
    >
    > Is it possible to skip this prosess? if so how?
    > Would be forever gratefull for any help what so ever
    >
    > regards
    > Glenn

  4. Re: RIS Server And the unatended answer file

    I use sysprep afterwords because after installing windows i install all
    drivers and software.

    "Robert R Kircher, Jr." skrev i melding

    > "Glenn Guillot" wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > I 'm new here so i thought i might say hello and start my first post

    with
    > > question
    > >
    > > I'm having a little problem with a RIS server that i have configured at
    > > work.
    > >
    > > The installasion works fine and everything works as it should.
    > >
    > > But!
    > > When the installasion completes I have to "enter a name" which becomes

    the
    > > username (in windows XP) and i have to choose if i want to "activate
    > > Windows" or not.
    > >
    > > This is a problem because even though i run sysprep afterwords the User

    > > registered during installasion isn't removed
    > >
    > > Is it possible to skip this prosess? if so how?
    > > Would be forever gratefull for any help what so ever
    > >

    > Is your XP media and Key a Volume License or is it a single user license.
    > If it's single user you are going to be asked for at least the activation.
    >
    > I ran into this user name problem when it turned out that the computer

    name
    > already existed on the network. You may want to look into that as an

    issue.

    > One question I have is why are you using Sysprep. Why not just create a

    RIS
    > install image and control computer name and user name that way?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rob

  5. Re: RIS Server And the unatended answer file

    Ahhh Here is how I do that...

    You'll have to look up the exact folder structure but you can create $oem$
    directory in your install structure on the RIS server. Here you'll place
    all the installs for you PNP drivers etc. A RIS install will then copy that
    to the client and look there for the infs and install the drivers.

    For Driver software that won't work that way, like Intellepoint or Logitech
    mouse software you can add a section to your Answer file that will launch
    those installs at first logon. Of course you'll need to have the install
    sets available on network some place so you client PC can access it.

    For application software, I'm using GPOs to distribute software. If the
    application is common across the network then I assign it to the computer.
    If it's specific to the user I assign it to the user.

    --

    Rob

    > I use sysprep afterwords because after installing windows i install all
    > drivers and software.
    >

    > "Robert R Kircher, Jr." skrev i melding
    > >
    > > "Glenn Guillot" wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > > I 'm new here so i thought i might say hello and start my first post

    > with
    > > > question
    > > >
    > > > I'm having a little problem with a RIS server that i have configured

    at
    > > > work.
    > > >
    > > > The installasion works fine and everything works as it should.
    > > >
    > > > But!
    > > > When the installasion completes I have to "enter a name" which becomes

    > the
    > > > username (in windows XP) and i have to choose if i want to "activate
    > > > Windows" or not.
    > > >
    > > > This is a problem because even though i run sysprep afterwords the

    User
    > > > registered during installasion isn't removed
    > > >
    > > > Is it possible to skip this prosess? if so how?
    > > > Would be forever gratefull for any help what so ever
    > > >

    > > Is your XP media and Key a Volume License or is it a single user

    license.
    > > If it's single user you are going to be asked for at least the

    activation.

    > > I ran into this user name problem when it turned out that the computer

    > name
    > > already existed on the network. You may want to look into that as an

    > issue.
    > >
    > > One question I have is why are you using Sysprep. Why not just create a

    > RIS
    > > install image and control computer name and user name that way?
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Rob

+ Reply to Thread