hosts file only work when there is internet connection - Windows NT

This is a discussion on hosts file only work when there is internet connection - Windows NT ; Hi, In Windows 2000 hosts file, I added some virtual host names for my machine 127.0.0.1 test 127.0.0.1 myhost However, they only work if my machine is already connected to the Internet. IE can then find the hosts on my ...

  1. hosts file only work when there is internet connection

    Hi,

    In Windows 2000 hosts file, I added some virtual host names for my
    machine

    127.0.0.1 test
    127.0.0.1 myhost

    However, they only work if my machine is already connected to the
    Internet. IE can then find the hosts on my machine (via Apache). If
    not connected, IE will try to dial a connection. Everything I am
    trying to do is local. It seems that Windows 2000 has to have an
    active connection for it to look at the hosts file.

    Any one know why this is and how to get to the hosts without a
    connection?

    Thanks much
    Qiao

  2. Re: hosts file only work when there is internet connection

    Tell Internet Explorer "never dial automatically".

    "Qiao" wrote in message
    news:3563cd7d.0310190001.53e8eb53@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > In Windows 2000 hosts file, I added some virtual host names for my
    > machine
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 test
    > 127.0.0.1 myhost
    >
    > However, they only work if my machine is already connected to the
    > Internet. IE can then find the hosts on my machine (via Apache). If
    > not connected, IE will try to dial a connection. Everything I am
    > trying to do is local. It seems that Windows 2000 has to have an
    > active connection for it to look at the hosts file.
    >
    > Any one know why this is and how to get to the hosts without a
    > connection?
    >
    > Thanks much
    > Qiao

  3. Re: hosts file only work when there is internet connection

    Hosts file is located in the system32/drivers/etc directory, if you are
    using it from anyplace else then it will not work. Example; say you have no
    internet access but you have an intranet setup locally and running through a
    router that supplys the IPs for the LAN. You will then have to add to the
    hosts file and entry that will point your servers ip address to the domain
    name of your server for it to see your intranet site.

    "Qiao" wrote in message
    news:3563cd7d.0310190001.53e8eb53@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > In Windows 2000 hosts file, I added some virtual host names for my
    > machine
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 test
    > 127.0.0.1 myhost
    >
    > However, they only work if my machine is already connected to the
    > Internet. IE can then find the hosts on my machine (via Apache). If
    > not connected, IE will try to dial a connection. Everything I am
    > trying to do is local. It seems that Windows 2000 has to have an
    > active connection for it to look at the hosts file.
    >
    > Any one know why this is and how to get to the hosts without a
    > connection?
    >
    > Thanks much
    > Qiao

+ Reply to Thread