Multiple NT4 swap files - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Multiple NT4 swap files - Windows NT ; Can somebody give me a brief background on how NT4 uses swap files? I have swap files on both C: and E: partitions, while D: has none. I want to free space on C:. How do multiple files work? Do ...

  1. Multiple NT4 swap files

    Can somebody give me a brief background on how NT4 uses swap files? I
    have swap files on both C: and E: partitions, while D: has none. I want
    to free space on C:.

    How do multiple files work? Do they spill over from one to another?

    Is there a benefit in having more than one?

    Is the change a simple matter of changing virtual memory settings so C:
    has 0 and D: has the number that C: had before?

    Thanks.

    --
    -Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
    -and remove the obvious-

  2. Re: Multiple NT4 swap files

    [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking and a
    copy was sent to the cited author.]

    In article ,
    tdnews01@att.net.invalid says...
    > Can somebody give me a brief background on how NT4 uses swap files? I
    > have swap files on both C: and E: partitions, while D: has none. I want
    > to free space on C:.
    >
    > How do multiple files work? Do they spill over from one to another?
    >
    > Is there a benefit in having more than one?
    >
    > Is the change a simple matter of changing virtual memory settings so C:
    > has 0 and D: has the number that C: had before?

    Do you have multiple drives, or is just a single drive with multiple
    partitions? Generally, splitting a swapfile across partitions on a drive
    will not help, and might slow things down. You generally want the swapfile
    as far to the outside (beginning) of the drive as possible. That would
    typically mean the first partition. Since you need room on C:, just change
    the settings. If you have enough room, consolidate down to just one
    swapfile on D:. A generic setting is 1.5x your real RAM, but in reality,
    will depend on how much RAM you have, and what you use the computer for.

    To change them, you should probably create the one on D: first, then
    change the one on C: to 0. You will end up having to reboot after each
    change.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

  3. Re: Multiple NT4 swap files

    In news:MPG.19f624032e82ffe69897e5@news.comcast.gigan ews.com,
    Andrew Rossmann typed:

    > Do you have multiple drives, or is just a single drive with multiple
    > partitions? Generally, splitting a swapfile across partitions on a
    > drive will not help, and might slow things down.

    Forgot to mention that. They are all partitions on a RAID 1 set.

    > You generally want
    > the swapfile as far to the outside (beginning) of the drive as
    > possible. That would typically mean the first partition.

    Also, C: is FAT, so might that limit the benefit of being at the
    beginning?

    > Since you
    > need room on C:, just change the settings. If you have enough room,
    > consolidate down to just one swapfile on D:. A generic setting is
    > 1.5x your real RAM, but in reality, will depend on how much RAM you
    > have, and what you use the computer for.
    >
    > To change them, you should probably create the one on D: first, then
    > change the one on C: to 0. You will end up having to reboot after each
    > change.

    Thanks for your perspective.

    --
    -Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
    -and remove the obvious-

  4. Re: Multiple NT4 swap files

    A swap file is where windows stores buffers when there is not enough memory
    to do the computation. Usually it is best to have the swap file on the C:
    drive as this is where the operating system is normally installed and makes
    for faster lookups. Spanning the page file across multiple harddrives
    speeds up access time and is recommended if you have more than one drive
    available, or if your C: drive is low on space. Yes it is a simple matter
    of setting the virtual memory to 0 on the C: drive. For more questions
    contact me at Cahanconsulting.com. Small fee will apply
    "Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
    > Can somebody give me a brief background on how NT4 uses swap files? I
    > have swap files on both C: and E: partitions, while D: has none. I want
    > to free space on C:.
    >
    > How do multiple files work? Do they spill over from one to another?
    >
    > Is there a benefit in having more than one?
    >
    > Is the change a simple matter of changing virtual memory settings so C:
    > has 0 and D: has the number that C: had before?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > -Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
    > -and remove the obvious-

+ Reply to Thread