Network Cards Swapping IP addresses!!? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Network Cards Swapping IP addresses!!? - Windows NT ; Hello, I was tasked with installing a dual port compaq NC3134 NIC into a Compaq Proliant 550 server running NT. The server already had 3 network cards, of which 2 were dual port. so a total of 5 ports already ...

  1. Network Cards Swapping IP addresses!!?

    Hello,

    I was tasked with installing a dual port compaq NC3134 NIC into a
    Compaq Proliant 550 server running NT.

    The server already had 3 network cards, of which 2 were dual port. so
    a total of 5 ports already installed.

    Nic1 212.34.56.78

    nic2 first port 194.192.25.130 second port 194.192.25.217

    Nic3 first port 194.192.25.224 second port 194.192.25.160

    New Nic(4) to have 212.45.23.12 and 192.168.1.1
    (not my real ip addresses)

    When I added the new card and rebooted the server, the new card had IP
    addresses assigned to it that belonged to NIC2 and nic2 was showing
    "need installing" in compaq teaming and network config utility!!!?

    after rejigging the ip addresses around the cards so they went back to
    the correct nics, I found that the card with the .130 address could
    not ping anything on the network (it could ping itself only)

    If I removed the new nic(4) NIC2 and nic3 swapped ip addresses again
    after rejigging the ip addresses back to the correct nics all the
    ports worked fine.

    I can't figure out why the network cards are not keeping their ip
    addresses.

    The new card was originally installed in PCI slot 7 but the server
    would blue screen so it was then installed in slot 1 (no other free
    slots)

    One thing i did'nt check was the "Lock boards" option in the compaq
    BIOS (F10) could this have been something to do with it?

    Any help would be very greatfully welcomed as I shall be returning to
    the site on Friday to have another attempt

    Thankyou

    John Court

  2. Re: Network Cards Swapping IP addresses!!?

    Compaq's proprietary network teaming software is the problem, you need to
    remove that software first.
    "Domain105" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was tasked with installing a dual port compaq NC3134 NIC into a
    > Compaq Proliant 550 server running NT.
    >
    > The server already had 3 network cards, of which 2 were dual port. so
    > a total of 5 ports already installed.
    >
    > Nic1 212.34.56.78
    >
    > nic2 first port 194.192.25.130 second port 194.192.25.217
    >
    > Nic3 first port 194.192.25.224 second port 194.192.25.160
    >

    > New Nic(4) to have 212.45.23.12 and 192.168.1.1
    > (not my real ip addresses)
    >

    > When I added the new card and rebooted the server, the new card had IP
    > addresses assigned to it that belonged to NIC2 and nic2 was showing
    > "need installing" in compaq teaming and network config utility!!!?
    >
    > after rejigging the ip addresses around the cards so they went back to
    > the correct nics, I found that the card with the .130 address could
    > not ping anything on the network (it could ping itself only)
    >
    > If I removed the new nic(4) NIC2 and nic3 swapped ip addresses again
    > after rejigging the ip addresses back to the correct nics all the
    > ports worked fine.
    >
    > I can't figure out why the network cards are not keeping their ip
    > addresses.
    >
    > The new card was originally installed in PCI slot 7 but the server
    > would blue screen so it was then installed in slot 1 (no other free
    > slots)
    >
    > One thing i did'nt check was the "Lock boards" option in the compaq
    > BIOS (F10) could this have been something to do with it?
    >
    > Any help would be very greatfully welcomed as I shall be returning to
    > the site on Friday to have another attempt
    >
    > Thankyou
    >
    > John Court

+ Reply to Thread