nt4 service pack 6 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on nt4 service pack 6 - Windows NT ; we run on service pack 1, but now must upgrade to service pack 6 due to software req's. can we just install service pack 6 on top of our system, or must we locate and install the intervening service packs ...

  1. nt4 service pack 6

    we run on service pack 1, but now must upgrade to service pack 6 due to
    software req's.

    can we just install service pack 6 on top of our system, or must we locate
    and install the intervening service packs first?

    we use nt4 as a workgroup, not a domain.

    thanks,

    jojo

    ---

  2. Re: nt4 service pack 6

    "Dr. Jacques (Jojo) Rusinek"
    wrote in message news:zXygb.2936$G1.13294@tor-nn1.netcom.ca...
    > we run on service pack 1, but now must upgrade to service pack 6 due to
    > software req's.
    >
    > can we just install service pack 6 on top of our system, or must we locate
    > and install the intervening service packs first?

    Nope, SP's are always all-including.

    > we use nt4 as a workgroup, not a domain.

    It's peculiar that you use them with ancient SP1.
    As i remember from the old NT4 days there were
    a lot of important fixes in SP3 and a lot of security
    hotfixes that requires SP3 or later.
    Hopefully no hacker targets your LAN before you
    have made the upgrades... or maybe they are in already?

    - Sten
    BTW, Windows 2000 or higher is MUCH better in many ways.
    > ---

  3. Re: nt4 service pack 6

    thanks for the info.
    we do not allow access to the web from our standalone server or workstations
    to prevent unwanted "guests"!...as a result, sp1 has worked just fine...

    "Sten Westerback" wrote in message

    > "Dr. Jacques (Jojo) Rusinek"
    > wrote in message news:zXygb.2936$G1.13294@tor-nn1.netcom.ca...
    > > we run on service pack 1, but now must upgrade to service pack 6 due to
    > > software req's.
    > >
    > > can we just install service pack 6 on top of our system, or must we

    locate
    > > and install the intervening service packs first?

    > Nope, SP's are always all-including.
    >
    > > we use nt4 as a workgroup, not a domain.

    > It's peculiar that you use them with ancient SP1.
    > As i remember from the old NT4 days there were
    > a lot of important fixes in SP3 and a lot of security
    > hotfixes that requires SP3 or later.
    > Hopefully no hacker targets your LAN before you
    > have made the upgrades... or maybe they are in already?
    >
    > - Sten
    > BTW, Windows 2000 or higher is MUCH better in many ways.
    > > ---

    ---

  4. Re: nt4 service pack 6

    All service packs contain all theupdates in the previous ones, you can just
    install sp6a, but make sure you use the one with 128bit encryption.