Blueyonder Problems - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Blueyonder Problems - Windows NT ; Hi, We just had cable broadband installed in our flat and we want to share it over the network. The network setup is 3 PCs connected through a switch, and the modem is connected too. At the moment, we seem ...

  1. Blueyonder Problems

    Hi,

    We just had cable broadband installed in our flat and we want to share it
    over the network. The network setup is 3 PCs connected through a switch, and
    the modem is connected too. At the moment, we seem to have two networks
    going, one PC and the modem can see each other and the other two can see
    each other. The one PC seems to be getting it's IP from the modem (82.x.x.x)
    and the two others are windows ones (162.x.x.x). According to Mr. Telewest
    the modem's DHCP server can support 30 users or something, but when you do
    an ipconfig /renew on the other two PCs they time out saying it can find a
    DHCP server (or something along those lines). One thought was that we tell
    windows the IP of the modem as the default gateway (but we've not a clue
    how). Any help or advise you could give us on this matter would be most
    appreciated.

    thank,
    Jamie (Edinburgh, UK)

  2. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    "ian findlay" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We just had cable broadband installed in our flat and we want to share it
    > over the network. The network setup is 3 PCs connected through a switch,

    and
    > the modem is connected too. At the moment, we seem to have two networks
    > going, one PC and the modem can see each other and the other two can see
    > each other. The one PC seems to be getting it's IP from the modem

    (82.x.x.x)
    > and the two others are windows ones (162.x.x.x). According to Mr.

    Telewest
    > the modem's DHCP server can support 30 users or something, but when you do
    > an ipconfig /renew on the other two PCs they time out saying it can find a
    > DHCP server (or something along those lines). One thought was that we

    tell
    > windows the IP of the modem as the default gateway (but we've not a clue
    > how). Any help or advise you could give us on this matter would be most
    > appreciated.
    >
    > thank,
    > Jamie (Edinburgh, UK)

    Jamie,
    Here in the states most cable operators only provide one I.P. address per
    cable modem and thus you need to install a router. I personally use linksys
    befsr41 for this type of application. Ultimatly the router will take the
    I.P. from the modem and then will assign I.P.'s to each attached device.
    Quite a simple setupactually but can be complicated if you ISP uses a PPPoE
    authentiication or some other wacky thing. Let me know if this does/doesn't
    work, I will keep an eye on this post.
    Cheers,
    Nuke

  3. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    You say you are using a switch - more details please ;- )

    Is it a switch or a router?

    If a router then set its IP address to 192.168.0.1 - this is the Gateway
    and the DHCP server for your PCs on your LAN.
    Set router to do DHCP - PCs should connect and get IPs in 192.168.0.xx
    range.....

    OR a better (?) solution is to give the PCs fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.2
    192.168.0.3 etc.... and disable DHCP on router.
    Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
    Gateway is 192.168.0.1 (Router)

    The cable modem is still the DHCP server for the router....
    Router's MAC address is either cloned from (originally connected) PC or
    entered manually so Telewest cable modem is happy...

    You should be able to ping 192.168.01 (router) and 192.168.100.1 (cable
    modem) from all the PCs and ping all PCs from each other...

    Guy

    ian findlay wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We just had cable broadband installed in our flat and we want to
    > share it over the network. The network setup is 3 PCs connected
    > through a switch, and the modem is connected too. At the moment, we
    > seem to have two networks going, one PC and the modem can see each
    > other and the other two can see each other. The one PC seems to be
    > getting it's IP from the modem (82.x.x.x) and the two others are
    > windows ones (162.x.x.x). According to Mr. Telewest the modem's DHCP
    > server can support 30 users or something, but when you do an ipconfig
    > /renew on the other two PCs they time out saying it can find a DHCP
    > server (or something along those lines). One thought was that we
    > tell windows the IP of the modem as the default gateway (but we've
    > not a clue how). Any help or advise you could give us on this matter
    > would be most appreciated.
    >
    > thank,
    > Jamie (Edinburgh, UK)

  4. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    In article , ian findlay
    writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >We just had cable broadband installed in our flat and we want to share it
    >over the network. The network setup is 3 PCs connected through a switch, and
    >the modem is connected too. At the moment, we seem to have two networks
    >going, one PC and the modem can see each other and the other two can see
    >each other. The one PC seems to be getting it's IP from the modem (82.x.x.x)
    >and the two others are windows ones (162.x.x.x). According to Mr. Telewest
    >the modem's DHCP server can support 30 users or something, but when you do
    >an ipconfig /renew on the other two PCs they time out saying it can find a
    >DHCP server (or something along those lines). One thought was that we tell
    >windows the IP of the modem as the default gateway (but we've not a clue
    >how). Any help or advise you could give us on this matter would be most
    >appreciated.

    Despite what the cable modem can theoretically support, it's configured
    by TW to only issue a single IP address. The first PC will get that,
    and have access via the modem to the Internet. All remaining machines
    will default to the Windows 162.x.x.x addresses you mentioned as they
    will fail to obtain an address from the modem.

    You have two choices:

    1. Use ICS
    2. Replace the switch with a router

    If going the ICS route, then you will need to add a second NIC to one
    PC, and install ICS on it. The cable modem should be attached directly
    to this second NIC, with the other connected to the switch, along with
    the remaining machines. The other machines will access the Internet via
    the ICS machine.

    If you opt for a router, which is vastly preferable IMHO, then you
    should simply be able to replace the switch with the router. You will
    need to register the WAN MAC address of the router with Blueyonder
    (http://selfcare.blueyonder.co.uk/) first, then power-off the cable
    modem and connect the router to it, then power it back up again. The
    router will obtain the sole permitted IP address for itself, and will
    then act as a DHCP server for the machines attached to it, allowing each
    access to the internet via NAT.

    HTH
    --
    Toby

  5. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    "ian findlay" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We just had cable broadband installed in our flat and we want to share it
    > over the network. The network setup is 3 PCs connected through a switch,

    and
    > the modem is connected too. At the moment, we seem to have two networks
    > going, one PC and the modem can see each other and the other two can see
    > each other. The one PC seems to be getting it's IP from the modem

    (82.x.x.x)
    > and the two others are windows ones (162.x.x.x). According to Mr.

    Telewest
    > the modem's DHCP server can support 30 users or something, but when you do
    > an ipconfig /renew on the other two PCs they time out saying it can find a
    > DHCP server (or something along those lines). One thought was that we

    tell
    > windows the IP of the modem as the default gateway (but we've not a clue
    > how). Any help or advise you could give us on this matter would be most
    > appreciated.
    >
    > thank,

    The modem supplies ONE Public IP address.

    In order to share the connection you HAVE to have either a ROUTER that does
    NAT or a second NIC in a PC with a switch and Sharing software such as ICS
    or Winproxy

    Go to www.homenethelp.com to find out how to do what you want to.

    The Modems BY use - Motorola Surfboard and Scientific Atlantica Webstars DO
    have a client pool of 32 addresses but not for sharing the connection.

    They don't do NAT.
    The modem is actually a bridge, not a router as such

  6. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    "ian findlay" wrote in message
    | Hi,

    [snip]

    hi

    you need a ROUTER or use ICS. A switch just doesn't cut it. I too use
    blueyonder. I bought a Linksys router off eBay for forty quid and it works
    fine. Before that, I used ICS. It worked, but honestly it was crap.

  7. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    If using a computer with Win2000 or XP,
    You can enable IP forwarding (allow others to connect to the internet
    through this computer) and allow them to use that computer as a
    router.

    I have actually done it with two network cards in a computer, no
    problem.
    You should be able to may that computer a multi-homed computer, put
    your other on a different subnet and get the whole thing to work with
    one network card.

  8. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    Why on Earth would you do something so complicated when you can just get a
    router and not have to worry again??
    "John@networktroubleshooters.com" wrote in
    message news:60859ed8.0310061529.669f917@posting.google.co m...
    > If using a computer with Win2000 or XP,
    > You can enable IP forwarding (allow others to connect to the internet
    > through this computer) and allow them to use that computer as a
    > router.
    >
    > I have actually done it with two network cards in a computer, no
    > problem.
    > You should be able to may that computer a multi-homed computer, put
    > your other on a different subnet and get the whole thing to work with
    > one network card.

  9. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    "Nuke Pave" wrote in message

    > Why on Earth would you do something so complicated when you can just get a
    > router and not have to worry again??

    Because maybe the person doesn't have the finances for a router? Maybe
    because he only has one other machine, it's pointless buying a router when
    he can pay 5 for a network card and 2 for a length of Xover CatV

    There is nothing complicated about using a second NIC to share a broadband
    connection... unless of course "you" need some assistance !!???

  10. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    In article ,
    sparhawk__@hotmail.com says...

    > "Nuke Pave" wrote in message
    >
    > > Why on Earth would you do something so complicated when you can just get a
    > > router and not have to worry again??

    > Because maybe the person doesn't have the finances for a router? Maybe
    > because he only has one other machine, it's pointless buying a router when
    > he can pay 5 for a network card and 2 for a length of Xover CatV
    >
    > There is nothing complicated about using a second NIC to share a broadband
    > connection... unless of course "you" need some assistance !!???

    Actually, while I can understand your issue with finances, the amount of
    time spent dealing with problems will be saved in the cost of the
    router.

    Even a single computer benefits from the protection that the router
    offers - most of them can be purchased for under $50 US (no idea what
    they sell for in the UK).

    Look at it this way, sharing the connection has it's own set of problems
    that will take time to resolve. Sharing the connection means that the
    primary system will still be exposed.....

    Having the router protects both (any) system and makes life easy.

    If you look at the TIME as a cost, and no ones time is free, then it
    should be a no-brainer.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

  11. Re: Blueyonder Problems

    Buy yourself a D-Link 4 port router and connect your broadband modem
    directly up to it. Tell Mr. Telewest you only want to pay for one IP addy
    and to make it static.

    "ian findlay" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We just had cable broadband installed in our flat and we want to share it
    > over the network. The network setup is 3 PCs connected through a switch,

    and
    > the modem is connected too. At the moment, we seem to have two networks
    > going, one PC and the modem can see each other and the other two can see
    > each other. The one PC seems to be getting it's IP from the modem

    (82.x.x.x)
    > and the two others are windows ones (162.x.x.x). According to Mr.

    Telewest
    > the modem's DHCP server can support 30 users or something, but when you do
    > an ipconfig /renew on the other two PCs they time out saying it can find a
    > DHCP server (or something along those lines). One thought was that we

    tell
    > windows the IP of the modem as the default gateway (but we've not a clue
    > how). Any help or advise you could give us on this matter would be most
    > appreciated.
    >
    > thank,
    > Jamie (Edinburgh, UK)

+ Reply to Thread