Newsgroup monitor - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Newsgroup monitor - Windows NT ; Can you please remove my posting asking for help with roaming profiles? Since that post 3 days ago, I have been for the first time in 3 years recieved 75 emails with viruses attached... What a great help this newsgroup ...

  1. Newsgroup monitor

    Can you please remove my posting asking for help with roaming profiles?
    Since that post 3 days ago, I have been for the first time in 3 years
    recieved 75 emails with viruses attached... What a great help this newsgroup
    is.... My antivirus takes care of the viruses, but would appreciate your
    removing my address....

  2. Re: Newsgroup monitor

    This is an unmonitored newsgroup. By now your post
    resides on thousands of servers around the world, with
    your EMail address clearly visible to anyone who
    wishes to abuse it. If this follow-up post still contains
    your real address then things will get worse, and you
    are likely to get lots of spam too. My recommendation:
    Never include your real email address in a newsgroup
    post.

    "Jim Murray" wrote in message
    > Can you please remove my posting asking for help with roaming profiles?
    > Since that post 3 days ago, I have been for the first time in 3 years
    > recieved 75 emails with viruses attached... What a great help this

    newsgroup
    > is.... My antivirus takes care of the viruses, but would appreciate your
    > removing my address....

  3. Re: Newsgroup monitor

    Oh boy! Big problem! Call your ISP and ask if they
    have a subscription to a spam and virus filtering
    service like Postini. If they do, subscribe to it immediately.
    Right now, I have over 5000 viruses blocked at Postini,
    and nearly 1000 spam emails. I could care less.
    Even better, Postini is in a position to collect information
    about these spammers and virus bots, and eventually
    put somebody in the slammer.

    johns

  4. Re: Newsgroup monitor

    I forgot for a moment that we live in a pimple faced, punk attitude,
    terrorist filled, hacker loving world.... thinking that a newsgroup was
    inhabited by helpful people... sharing ideas and information... That's what
    it used to be years ago... I regularly visited newsgroups and assisted
    people with hardware problems... then got too caught up in "the working
    world"... Just came back to visit with a question.... My things have
    changed....

    Thanks for letting me know that it is unmonitored....

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > This is an unmonitored newsgroup. By now your post
    > resides on thousands of servers around the world, with
    > your EMail address clearly visible to anyone who
    > wishes to abuse it. If this follow-up post still contains
    > your real address then things will get worse, and you
    > are likely to get lots of spam too. My recommendation:
    > Never include your real email address in a newsgroup
    > post.
    >
    > "Jim Murray" wrote in message
    > > Can you please remove my posting asking for help with roaming profiles?
    > > Since that post 3 days ago, I have been for the first time in 3 years
    > > recieved 75 emails with viruses attached... What a great help this

    > newsgroup
    > > is.... My antivirus takes care of the viruses, but would appreciate your
    > > removing my address....

  5. Re: Newsgroup monitor

    I'll just change my email account.... It's not my main account anyway.
    I'll just drop it.

    Thanks for the tip though.... I will see about it...

    "johns" wrote in message
    > Oh boy! Big problem! Call your ISP and ask if they
    > have a subscription to a spam and virus filtering
    > service like Postini. If they do, subscribe to it immediately.
    > Right now, I have over 5000 viruses blocked at Postini,
    > and nearly 1000 spam emails. I could care less.
    > Even better, Postini is in a position to collect information
    > about these spammers and virus bots, and eventually
    > put somebody in the slammer.
    >
    > johns

  6. Re: Newsgroup monitor

    Newsgroups still are the way you remember them, but it
    takes just one idiot (out of hundreds of dedicated contributors)
    to damage things. Conversely, when I was young, there were no
    graffiti and there was no vandalism on trains. The world keeps
    changing and we need to adjust to it.

    "Jim Murray" wrote in message
    > I forgot for a moment that we live in a pimple faced, punk attitude,
    > terrorist filled, hacker loving world.... thinking that a newsgroup was
    > inhabited by helpful people... sharing ideas and information... That's

    what
    > it used to be years ago... I regularly visited newsgroups and assisted
    > people with hardware problems... then got too caught up in "the working
    > world"... Just came back to visit with a question.... My things have
    > changed....
    >
    > Thanks for letting me know that it is unmonitored....
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > > This is an unmonitored newsgroup. By now your post
    > > resides on thousands of servers around the world, with
    > > your EMail address clearly visible to anyone who
    > > wishes to abuse it. If this follow-up post still contains
    > > your real address then things will get worse, and you
    > > are likely to get lots of spam too. My recommendation:
    > > Never include your real email address in a newsgroup
    > > post.
    > >
    > > "Jim Murray" wrote in message
    > > > Can you please remove my posting asking for help with roaming

    profiles?
    > > > Since that post 3 days ago, I have been for the first time in 3 years
    > > > recieved 75 emails with viruses attached... What a great help this

    > > newsgroup
    > > > is.... My antivirus takes care of the viruses, but would appreciate

    your
    > > > removing my address....

+ Reply to Thread