NT4 and xp home ver - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT4 and xp home ver - Windows NT ; we have a small office network ( workgroup model, using netbeui protocol running win 95/98) with 10 workstations. we are upgrading some workstations, but the upgrades have XP home ver as the OS. while i can get the 'xp home ...

  1. NT4 and xp home ver

    we have a small office network ( workgroup model, using netbeui protocol
    running win 95/98) with 10 workstations.

    we are upgrading some workstations, but the upgrades have XP home ver as the
    OS.

    while i can get the 'xp home ver computers' onto a peer to peer with some of
    the networked computers in the workgroup, i cannot get them (those running
    xp home) to log onto the standalone server.

    should i format the new workstations and install the "safer" win 98?

    or can i reconfig the network to tcp/ip protocol and assign a specific
    address (not use DHCP server)?

    or is there another way?

    any thoughts?

    Dr. JDR

  2. Re: NT4 and xp home ver

    :
    : we are upgrading some workstations, but the upgrades have XP home ver as
    : the OS.
    :
    : while i can get the 'xp home ver computers' onto a peer to peer with some
    : of the networked computers in the workgroup, i cannot get them (those
    : running xp home) to log onto the standalone server.
    :

    You'll have to purchase Windows XP Professional or use Windows 98.

    Windows XP Home Edition cannot access a domain-based network:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...joindomain.asp
    Windows XP Professional: The Right Choice for Larger Networks

    "Windows XP Home Edition is a great choice for small or home networks
    (typically two to five computers), but for the best experience on
    larger networks (typically more than five computers) for example, at
    a school or business, Windows XP Professional is the right choice.

    Most larger networks are domain-based. Windows XP Professional is
    required to access a domain-based network. If you're not sure whether
    the network you will access is domain-based, talk to the person in
    charge of the network to make sure you choose the proper version of
    Windows XP. Learn more about why Windows XP Professional is best for
    large networks."

    --Jerry Leslie
    Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

  3. Re: NT4 and xp home ver

    Our faculty often bring their own laptops, many of which have XP Home, and
    we can hook them up to our network (Win2K Server). Will the same thing not
    work on NT4?

    Once they access shared resources, they are asked to log on to the domain.
    I then connect the printers they want to use, and put a shortcut on their
    desktop to the folders they need to access.

    I don't have one here, so I can't tell you the exact network settings to
    use, but it's pretty much the same as you would use with Win98.

    -- Erich

    "leslie" wrote in message
    > Dr. Jacques Rusinek (jrusinek@netcom.ca) wrote:
    > : we have a small office network ( workgroup model, using netbeui protocol
    > : running win 95/98) with 10 workstations.
    > :
    > : we are upgrading some workstations, but the upgrades have XP home ver as
    > : the OS.
    > :
    > : while i can get the 'xp home ver computers' onto a peer to peer with

    some
    > : of the networked computers in the workgroup, i cannot get them (those
    > : running xp home) to log onto the standalone server.
    > :
    >
    > You'll have to purchase Windows XP Professional or use Windows 98.
    >
    > Windows XP Home Edition cannot access a domain-based network:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...joindomain.asp
    > Windows XP Professional: The Right Choice for Larger Networks
    >
    > "Windows XP Home Edition is a great choice for small or home networks
    > (typically two to five computers), but for the best experience on
    > larger networks (typically more than five computers) for example, at
    > a school or business, Windows XP Professional is the right choice.
    >
    > Most larger networks are domain-based. Windows XP Professional is
    > required to access a domain-based network. If you're not sure whether
    > the network you will access is domain-based, talk to the person in
    > charge of the network to make sure you choose the proper version of
    > Windows XP. Learn more about why Windows XP Professional is best for
    > large networks."
    >

    > --Jerry Leslie
    > Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

  4. Re: NT4 and xp home ver

    LESLIE@JRLVAX.HOUSTON.RR.COM (leslie) wrote in

    > Dr. Jacques Rusinek (jrusinek@netcom.ca) wrote:
    >: we have a small office network ( workgroup model, using netbeui
    >: protocol running win 95/98) with 10 workstations.
    >:
    >: we are upgrading some workstations, but the upgrades have XP home ver
    >: as the OS.
    >:
    >: while i can get the 'xp home ver computers' onto a peer to peer with
    >: some of the networked computers in the workgroup, i cannot get them
    >: (those running xp home) to log onto the standalone server.
    >:
    >
    > You'll have to purchase Windows XP Professional or use Windows 98.
    >
    > Windows XP Home Edition cannot access a domain-based network:
    > Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

    snip

    This is not strictly true. You won't actually be able to login to the
    domain but you CAN access resources on the domain. You will be prompted
    for a login name and password and you should provide your domain login
    identity in the format: domain\loginname. We have several people on our
    network using XP Home (not sure why they use it except that it came
    w/their system) and they can access network resources.

    --
    remove nospam to use email

    Casey Stamper
    mstamper@nospamwideopenwest.com

    "The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
    old Arabic saying

  5. Re: NT4 and xp home ver

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:31:29 -0500, Casey Stamper
    wrote:

    >LESLIE@JRLVAX.HOUSTON.RR.COM (leslie) wrote in
    >
    >> Dr. Jacques Rusinek (jrusinek@netcom.ca) wrote:
    >>: we have a small office network ( workgroup model, using netbeui
    >>: protocol running win 95/98) with 10 workstations.
    >>:
    >>: we are upgrading some workstations, but the upgrades have XP home ver
    >>: as the OS.
    >>:
    >>: while i can get the 'xp home ver computers' onto a peer to peer with
    >>: some of the networked computers in the workgroup, i cannot get them
    >>: (those running xp home) to log onto the standalone server.
    >>:
    >>
    >> You'll have to purchase Windows XP Professional or use Windows 98.
    >>
    >> Windows XP Home Edition cannot access a domain-based network:
    >> Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

    >snip
    >
    >This is not strictly true. You won't actually be able to login to the
    >domain but you CAN access resources on the domain. You will be prompted
    >for a login name and password and you should provide your domain login
    >identity in the format: domain\loginname. We have several people on our
    >network using XP Home (not sure why they use it except that it came
    >w/their system) and they can access network resources.

    Exactly - XP Home can't _join_ a domain, but works just fine places in
    the workgroup like the W98 machines. Just setup a local account that
    matches their domain account and it works just fine.

    You mentioned Netbeui. By default, Netbeui isn't offered as an
    installable protocol on XP. You need to copy the Netbeui files onto
    your system and then you will have the option to install that protocol
    (Or did you mean netbios running over tcpip?)

  6. Re: NT4 and xp home ver

    i got it to work. my network is a workgroup not a domain and the server
    does not act as a PDC but as a standalone server; i.e., each wrkstation must
    enter a password to access its resources and similarly can file share with
    others like peer to peer.
    (it is a smaller network ~ 10 )

    protocol was netbeui due to ease of use, but had to use tcp/ip due to xp;
    however, xp sets its own address which must be manually overridden (i.e.,
    one must set the ip address manually on the xp machines)

    the last step involved seting id and password on nt server and presto
    everone is communicating!

    thank god for that.

    wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:31:29 -0500, Casey Stamper
    > wrote:
    >
    > >LESLIE@JRLVAX.HOUSTON.RR.COM (leslie) wrote in
    > >
    > >> Dr. Jacques Rusinek (jrusinek@netcom.ca) wrote:
    > >>: we have a small office network ( workgroup model, using netbeui
    > >>: protocol running win 95/98) with 10 workstations.
    > >>:
    > >>: we are upgrading some workstations, but the upgrades have XP home ver
    > >>: as the OS.
    > >>:
    > >>: while i can get the 'xp home ver computers' onto a peer to peer with
    > >>: some of the networked computers in the workgroup, i cannot get them
    > >>: (those running xp home) to log onto the standalone server.
    > >>:
    > >>
    > >> You'll have to purchase Windows XP Professional or use Windows 98.
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP Home Edition cannot access a domain-based network:
    > >> Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

    > >snip
    > >
    > >This is not strictly true. You won't actually be able to login to the
    > >domain but you CAN access resources on the domain. You will be prompted
    > >for a login name and password and you should provide your domain login
    > >identity in the format: domain\loginname. We have several people on our
    > >network using XP Home (not sure why they use it except that it came
    > >w/their system) and they can access network resources.

    > Exactly - XP Home can't _join_ a domain, but works just fine places in
    > the workgroup like the W98 machines. Just setup a local account that
    > matches their domain account and it works just fine.
    >
    > You mentioned Netbeui. By default, Netbeui isn't offered as an
    > installable protocol on XP. You need to copy the Netbeui files onto
    > your system and then you will have the option to install that protocol
    > (Or did you mean netbios running over tcpip?)

    ---

  7. Re: NT4 and xp home ver

    "Dr. Jacques (Jojo) Rusinek"
    wrote in message news:wJ7fb.2587$G1.12201@tor-nn1.netcom.ca...
    > i got it to work. my network is a workgroup not a domain and the server
    > does not act as a PDC but as a standalone server; i.e., each wrkstation

    must
    > enter a password to access its resources and similarly can file share with
    > others like peer to peer.
    > (it is a smaller network ~ 10 )
    >
    > protocol was netbeui due to ease of use, but had to use tcp/ip due to xp;
    > however, xp sets its own address which must be manually overridden (i.e.,
    > one must set the ip address manually on the xp machines)

    Sounds like you could have use for a DHCP (and Wins) server or
    you could use have one PC share an Internet connection and
    provide suitable IP's for everyone...

    - Sten

+ Reply to Thread