Two Harrys or one ? Laptop user problem. - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Two Harrys or one ? Laptop user problem. - Windows NT ; Hi, I've just set up a new XP laptop for a colleague, Harry, who works both on site and off site. On site Harry is a domain user uses a desktop and stores his stuff on a Win2000 SBS fileserver. ...

  1. Two Harrys or one ? Laptop user problem.

    Hi,

    I've just set up a new XP laptop for a colleague, Harry, who works both on
    site and off site.
    On site Harry is a domain user uses a desktop and stores his stuff on a
    Win2000 SBS fileserver.

    I wanted Harry to be able to copy files from his folder-on-the-fileserver
    onto the laptop to take off site.
    So I set up the Laptop to join our Company domain.

    I figured out that XP recognised the Laptop as being in its own domain.
    So I then created a new user Harry in the Laptop domain so he could use the
    Laptop.
    The I hooked up the Laptop to the LAN and succesfully got Harry connected to
    the fileserver.

    So now on the Company domain I have a user
    \\CompanyDomain\Harry
    And on the Laptop domain, two users
    \\CompanyDomain\Harry - and -
    \\Laptop\Harry

    The problem is when Harry - on site - copies files into MyDocuments on the
    Laptop, they go into \\CompanyDomain\Harry\MyDocuments and he can't access
    them when he is off site.

    I promoted \\Laptop\Harry to Admin on the Laptop; he still can't get at his
    stuff.

    As a workaround we copied the files into C:\ and there he has access.

    Questions
    ----------
    Where did I go wrong ?

    Should I have created two different Harrys ?
    Or is it just a question of redefining file permissions on the Laptop
    folders ?
    The ideal soulution would be the one that is the most transparent to Harry,
    (both of them !).

    TIA

    Tony

  2. Re: Two Harrys or one ? Laptop user problem.

    "S.B." wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just set up a new XP laptop for a colleague, Harry, who works both on
    > site and off site.
    > On site Harry is a domain user uses a desktop and stores his stuff on a
    > Win2000 SBS fileserver.
    >
    > I wanted Harry to be able to copy files from his folder-on-the-fileserver
    > onto the laptop to take off site.
    > So I set up the Laptop to join our Company domain.
    >
    > I figured out that XP recognised the Laptop as being in its own domain.
    > So I then created a new user Harry in the Laptop domain so he could use

    the
    > Laptop.
    > The I hooked up the Laptop to the LAN and succesfully got Harry connected

    > the fileserver.
    >
    > So now on the Company domain I have a user
    > \\CompanyDomain\Harry
    > And on the Laptop domain, two users
    > \\CompanyDomain\Harry - and -
    > \\Laptop\Harry
    >
    > The problem is when Harry - on site - copies files into MyDocuments on the
    > Laptop, they go into \\CompanyDomain\Harry\MyDocuments and he can't

    access
    > them when he is off site.
    >
    > I promoted \\Laptop\Harry to Admin on the Laptop; he still can't get at

    his
    > stuff.
    >
    > As a workaround we copied the files into C:\ and there he has access.
    >
    > Questions
    > ----------
    > Where did I go wrong ?
    >
    > Should I have created two different Harrys ?
    > Or is it just a question of redefining file permissions on the Laptop
    > folders ?
    > The ideal soulution would be the one that is the most transparent to

    Harry,
    > (both of them !).
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tony

    While Harry is logged on to the company domain, change
    the Properties of "My Documents" to something more suitable,
    e.g. "C:\My Documents".

+ Reply to Thread