any connection for two computers - Windows NT

This is a discussion on any connection for two computers - Windows NT ; I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also. What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe. Thanks....

  1. any connection for two computers

    I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also.
    What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard
    disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: any connection for two computers

    [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking and a
    copy was sent to the cited author.]

    In article , cljlk@hotmail.com says...
    > I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also.
    > What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard
    > disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe.

    The easiest is to get standard Ethernet network connections on each, if
    they don't already have them. Get a CROSSOVER network cable, and simply
    connect the two. Install the Netbeui protocol on each, which has nothing
    to configure other than unique computer names. For XP, Netbeui won't
    normally show up and you have to browse for an 'other' protocol somewhere
    on the XP CD or wherever a copy is held on your hard drive.

    Alternately, use normal TCP/IP and configure one for 192.168.0.1, and
    the other for 192.168.0.2, both both using a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.
    You can leave the gateway and DNS numbers blank.

    Also in the network settings, you may need to add a Service for 'File
    and Printer sharing.'

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

  3. Re: any connection for two computers

    Thanks Andrew.
    These two computers, one is Desktop with Windows XP and another one is
    IBM laptop with Windows XP also. Both are on the network. I can browse
    through internet. But I need to copy files from one machine to another.
    Of cause I can put into zip disk or burn a CD. But that is not
    convenient. I idea is that I like to mount the disk or connect a cable
    so I can copy files from one to antoher.
    Thanks

    Andrew Rossmann wrote:

    > [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking and a
    > copy was sent to the cited author.]
    >
    > In article , cljlk@hotmail.com says...
    >
    >>I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also.
    >>What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard
    >>disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe.

    > The easiest is to get standard Ethernet network connections on each, if
    > they don't already have them. Get a CROSSOVER network cable, and simply
    > connect the two. Install the Netbeui protocol on each, which has nothing
    > to configure other than unique computer names. For XP, Netbeui won't
    > normally show up and you have to browse for an 'other' protocol somewhere
    > on the XP CD or wherever a copy is held on your hard drive.
    >
    > Alternately, use normal TCP/IP and configure one for 192.168.0.1, and
    > the other for 192.168.0.2, both both using a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.
    > You can leave the gateway and DNS numbers blank.
    >
    > Also in the network settings, you may need to add a Service for 'File
    > and Printer sharing.'

  4. Re: any connection for two computers

    Andrew Rossmann wrote:

    > [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking and a
    > copy was sent to the cited author.]
    >
    > In article , cljlk@hotmail.com says...
    >
    >>I have one desktop windows XP and a laptop windows xp also.
    >>What should I do in order to make two computers can see each other hard
    >>disks and transfer files. Any cable connection maybe.

    > The easiest is to get standard Ethernet network connections on each, if
    > they don't already have them. Get a CROSSOVER network cable, and simply
    > connect the two. Install the Netbeui protocol on each, which has nothing
    > to configure other than unique computer names. For XP, Netbeui won't
    > normally show up and you have to browse for an 'other' protocol somewhere
    > on the XP CD or wherever a copy is held on your hard drive.
    >
    > Alternately, use normal TCP/IP and configure one for 192.168.0.1, and
    > the other for 192.168.0.2, both both using a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.
    > You can leave the gateway and DNS numbers blank.
    >
    > Also in the network settings, you may need to add a Service for 'File
    > and Printer sharing.'

  5. Re: any connection for two computers

    In article <3F75D402.1020408@hotmail.com>, cljlk@hotmail.com says...
    > Thanks Andrew.
    > These two computers, one is Desktop with Windows XP and another one is
    > IBM laptop with Windows XP also. Both are on the network. I can browse
    > through internet. But I need to copy files from one machine to another.
    > Of cause I can put into zip disk or burn a CD. But that is not
    > convenient. I idea is that I like to mount the disk or connect a cable
    > so I can copy files from one to antoher.

    How are they networked together? If they are both on a hub or something,
    they should be able to talk to each other. As mentioned, you may need to
    add or enable the 'File and Printer Sharing' service. You can then right-
    click a drive or folder, pick Properties, then Sharing.

    You can use the regular Windows Explorer to try and access the other
    computer. Sometimes, it may be easier to open up a command prompt and type
    something like this:
    NET USE X: \\computername\share
    (I think you could use the IP address as the computer name if the name
    can't be found.)

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

+ Reply to Thread