DHCP only to authorized computers - Windows NT

This is a discussion on DHCP only to authorized computers - Windows NT ; We have a DHCP, I want to restrict that only authorized users should be able to print to a network printer, What happens it that there might be someone comes in with his laptop and gets connected to our internal ...

  1. DHCP only to authorized computers

    We have a DHCP, I want to restrict that only authorized users should
    be able to print to a network printer,

    What happens it that there might be someone comes in with his laptop
    and gets connected to our internal network and sets up a printer on
    his computer by knowing the Printers ip and he can print with no
    problem, how can I restrict this?

    Your help is very much appreciated

    Thanks
    JoelB

  2. Re: DHCP only to authorized computers

    The notebook user would need to setup your LAN IP stack.

    Why are you allowing this if you won't allow him to print ? For security purposes you
    shouldn't allow anybody to hook up unauthorized equip't. to the LAN in the first place.
    Then you can use IP restrictions on the print server to restrict access to an IP range or
    ranges.

    I can't understand why unauthorized equip't. would be allowed on the LAN but not allows to
    print. Seems rather backwards.
    Please elaborate...

    Dave

    "Yoelb" wrote in message
    news:bff6ba56.0309251538.48496a79@posting.google.c om...
    | We have a DHCP, I want to restrict that only authorized users should
    | be able to print to a network printer,
    |
    | What happens it that there might be someone comes in with his laptop
    | and gets connected to our internal network and sets up a printer on
    | his computer by knowing the Printers ip and he can print with no
    | problem, how can I restrict this?
    |
    | Your help is very much appreciated
    |
    | Thanks
    | JoelB

  3. Re: DHCP only to authorized computers

    Addendum:

    You can use a Queue on a NT Server and all must print through the queue. The only IP
    allowed to print or access the print server then would be the NT Server.

    Dave

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    newsYLcb.4905$kD3.2985@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
    | The notebook user would need to setup your LAN IP stack.
    |
    | Why are you allowing this if you won't allow him to print ? For security purposes you
    | shouldn't allow anybody to hook up unauthorized equip't. to the LAN in the first place.
    | Then you can use IP restrictions on the print server to restrict access to an IP range or
    | ranges.
    |
    | I can't understand why unauthorized equip't. would be allowed on the LAN but not allows to
    | print. Seems rather backwards.
    | Please elaborate...
    |
    | Dave

  4. Re: DHCP only to authorized computers

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message news:...
    > The notebook user would need to setup your LAN IP stack.
    >
    > Why are you allowing this if you won't allow him to print ? For security purposes you
    > shouldn't allow anybody to hook up unauthorized equip't. to the LAN in the first place.
    > Then you can use IP restrictions on the print server to restrict access to an IP range or
    > ranges.
    >
    > I can't understand why unauthorized equip't. would be allowed on the LAN but not allows to
    > print. Seems rather backwards.
    > Please elaborate...
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Yoelb" wrote in message
    > news:bff6ba56.0309251538.48496a79@posting.google.c om...
    > | We have a DHCP, I want to restrict that only authorized users should
    > | be able to print to a network printer,
    > |
    > | What happens it that there might be someone comes in with his laptop
    > | and gets connected to our internal network and sets up a printer on
    > | his computer by knowing the Printers ip and he can print with no
    > | problem, how can I restrict this?
    > |
    > | Your help is very much appreciated
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > | JoelB

    Why are you allowing this if you won't allow him to print ?

     we are not allowing, but we have a building of 6 stories and
    anything can happen, that someone could connect to a network.

    Shouldn't allow anybody to hook up unauthorized equip't. to the LAN in
    the first place.

     how can I do it Technically?

    Then you can use IP restrictions on the print server to restrict
    access to an IP range or
    ranges.

    > restricting on the print server doesn't help, because he can access the printer by his IP Address and install his own driver and print, therefore I want to restrict him from having access on the LAN not to the network shares…

    Thanks to all of you for responding
    JoelB

  5. Re: DHCP only to authorized computers

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message news:...
    > Addendum:
    >
    > You can use a Queue on a NT Server and all must print through the queue. The only IP
    > allowed to print or access the print server then would be the NT Server.
    >
    > Dave

    Can I restrict this on the printer itself or on the printer driver
    that is on the print server? Because here we have to restrict on the
    ip adderss of the printer device because he can install his own
    printer driver on his computer…!

  6. Re: DHCP only to authorized computers

    It depends on the print server. I profess HP JetDirect. The later models support IP
    filtering such that you can limit the access to IP address or addresses.

    Dave

    news:bff6ba56.0309260627.49f6f7d3@posting.google.c om...
    | > Addendum:
    | >
    | > You can use a Queue on a NT Server and all must print through the queue. The only IP
    | > allowed to print or access the print server then would be the NT Server.
    | >
    | > Dave
    |
    | Can I restrict this on the printer itself or on the printer driver
    | that is on the print server? Because here we have to restrict on the
    | ip adderss of the printer device because he can install his own
    | printer driver on his computer.!

  7. Re: DHCP only to authorized computers

    Would anyone know about a solution through a manageable Switch,
    meaning is there some switches that you can restrict access to certain
    IP adders only through authentication?

    Thanks
    JoelB