network hangs when users copy large files to or from NT4 server - Windows NT

This is a discussion on network hangs when users copy large files to or from NT4 server - Windows NT ; Our network always hangs whenever users try to copy large files (e.g. 50 MB) to or from our NT4 server (PDC) thru the CAT-5 (10/100 Mbps Hub)network. I will have to reboot the server to solve the problem. What goes ...

  1. network hangs when users copy large files to or from NT4 server

    Our network always hangs whenever users try to copy large files (e.g. 50 MB)
    to or from our NT4 server (PDC) thru the CAT-5 (10/100 Mbps Hub)network. I
    will have to reboot the server to solve the problem. What goes wrong?
    I replaced the NIC, SDRAM, ribbon cable (for HD) in server, and also
    replaced the CAT-5 cable connected from server to Hub, but problem doesn't
    go away. Help!!
    Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Tom

  2. Re: network hangs when users copy large files to or from NT4 server

    Tom, i think your problem could be due to network collisions. Try
    using switch to cut down broadcasts. This is only one part of
    solutions. It could be wiring problem causes packet dropout or
    incorrect network setting for your server. How many hosts do you have
    ?

    "Tom" wrote in message news:...
    > Our network always hangs whenever users try to copy large files (e.g. 50 MB)
    > to or from our NT4 server (PDC) thru the CAT-5 (10/100 Mbps Hub)network. I
    > will have to reboot the server to solve the problem. What goes wrong?
    > I replaced the NIC, SDRAM, ribbon cable (for HD) in server, and also
    > replaced the CAT-5 cable connected from server to Hub, but problem doesn't
    > go away. Help!!
    > Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Tom

  3. Re: network hangs when users copy large files to or from NT4 server

    Daniel,
    Thanks for the response.
    I have one PDC, one 24-port (10/100)Hub uplinked to one 24-port
    (10/100)Switch.
    Thanks again.

    news:6a6a9040.0309250819.4ae14ee0@posting.google.c om...

    > > Our network always hangs whenever users try to copy large files (e.g. 50

    MB)
    > > to or from our NT4 server (PDC) thru the CAT-5 (10/100 Mbps Hub)network.

    > > will have to reboot the server to solve the problem. What goes wrong?
    > > I replaced the NIC, SDRAM, ribbon cable (for HD) in server, and also
    > > replaced the CAT-5 cable connected from server to Hub, but problem

    doesn't
    > > go away. Help!!
    > > Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Tom

  4. Re: network hangs when users copy large files to or from NT4 server

    Tom, have you found your solution ?

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Tom" wrote in message news:...
    > Daniel,
    > Thanks for the response.
    > I have one PDC, one 24-port (10/100)Hub uplinked to one 24-port
    > (10/100)Switch.
    > Thanks again.
    >

    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0309250819.4ae14ee0@posting.google.c om...
    > > Tom, i think your problem could be due to network collisions. Try
    > > using switch to cut down broadcasts. This is only one part of
    > > solutions. It could be wiring problem causes packet dropout or
    > > incorrect network setting for your server. How many hosts do you have
    > > ?
    > >

    > > "Tom" wrote in message

    > > > Our network always hangs whenever users try to copy large files (e.g. 50

    > MB)
    > > > to or from our NT4 server (PDC) thru the CAT-5 (10/100 Mbps Hub)network.

    > > > will have to reboot the server to solve the problem. What goes wrong?
    > > > I replaced the NIC, SDRAM, ribbon cable (for HD) in server, and also
    > > > replaced the CAT-5 cable connected from server to Hub, but problem

    > doesn't
    > > > go away. Help!!
    > > > Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > > Tom

  5. Re: network hangs when users copy large files to or from NT4 server

    Daniel,
    It turns out my problem was the hub going bad. Thanks so much for the help.

    Tom

    news:6a6a9040.0309260919.4c1f9e34@posting.google.c om...

    > > Daniel,
    > > Thanks for the response.
    > > I have one PDC, one 24-port (10/100)Hub uplinked to one 24-port
    > > (10/100)Switch.
    > > Thanks again.
    > >

    > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > news:6a6a9040.0309250819.4ae14ee0@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Tom, i think your problem could be due to network collisions. Try
    > > > using switch to cut down broadcasts. This is only one part of
    > > > solutions. It could be wiring problem causes packet dropout or
    > > > incorrect network setting for your server. How many hosts do you have
    > > > ?
    > > >

    > > > "Tom" wrote in message

    (e.g. 50
    > > MB)