Find PDC on NT 4.0 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Find PDC on NT 4.0 - Windows NT ; Hello, I have been trying for a day or two to sort this out, and can't find any where documentation that could help, Scenario Multi master domain, (Master domain = W2K, containing all user accounts) resource domain containing NT4.0 WKS ...

  1. Find PDC on NT 4.0

    Hello,

    I have been trying for a day or two to sort this out, and can't find any
    where documentation that could help,

    Scenario Multi master domain, (Master domain = W2K, containing all user
    accounts) resource domain containing NT4.0 WKS + Servers.

    Using XP or 2K , everthing seems to work ok, the Login request is processed
    by a DC that is local to the site, following a WINS <1C> lookup.

    When using NT 4.0 machines however the DC that controls the users login is
    arbitrary, that is to say that is could be off site or not. I have checked
    with sniffer pro, and can see that the client PC registers itself in the the
    trusing NT 4.0 domain, and correctly registers itself in the WINS servers.
    but nowhere can I see where it gets the information about what DC to use to
    process the logon request.

    can anyone answer the question :
    "How does an NT 4.0 client decide which DC to validate the users credentials
    in a trusted domain?"

    Cheers for any pointers

  2. Re: Find PDC on NT 4.0

    Thanks for all the input,

    In case anyone cares see M$ 165202
    B*ll*X
    Wilf

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been trying for a day or two to sort this out, and can't find any
    > where documentation that could help,
    >
    > Scenario Multi master domain, (Master domain = W2K, containing all user
    > accounts) resource domain containing NT4.0 WKS + Servers.
    >
    > Using XP or 2K , everthing seems to work ok, the Login request is

    processed
    > by a DC that is local to the site, following a WINS <1C> lookup.
    >
    > When using NT 4.0 machines however the DC that controls the users login is
    > arbitrary, that is to say that is could be off site or not. I have checked
    > with sniffer pro, and can see that the client PC registers itself in the

    the
    > trusing NT 4.0 domain, and correctly registers itself in the WINS servers.
    > but nowhere can I see where it gets the information about what DC to use

    > process the logon request.
    >
    > can anyone answer the question :
    > "How does an NT 4.0 client decide which DC to validate the users

    credentials
    > in a trusted domain?"
    >
    > Cheers for any pointers

+ Reply to Thread