Networked printers on Windows domain - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Networked printers on Windows domain - Windows NT ; OK let me describe the setup, then I'll get onto the problem: The Setup:- Windows domain, with Windows 2000 Advanced Servers, about 250 Windows XP Pro client workstations / laptops and a Windows XP Pro print spooler box. We have ...

  1. Networked printers on Windows domain

    OK let me describe the setup, then I'll get onto the problem:

    The Setup:-

    Windows domain, with Windows 2000 Advanced Servers, about 250 Windows XP Pro
    client workstations / laptops and a Windows XP Pro print spooler box. We
    have between 15 and 20 printers dotted around the network, some plugged into
    the ethernet and some shared off workstations and one plugged into the back
    of the spooler. We use adprintx in logon scripts to map the printers but
    have also tried con2prt and printui.dll.

    The Problem:-

    One the Windows XP client machines, 2 printers at the most are mapped
    depending on location done through OU's in the active directory policies.
    Mostly the clients print fine but sometimes applications throw errors about
    "a problem with the current printer setup" etc. When you look in the
    printers and faxes in the control panel on one of the client machines, it
    will say "Unable to Connect" under both printers while the machine next to
    it is fine saying "Ready" by both printers. The unable to connect business
    seems to go away and come back and move around the rooms periodically. I
    have checked the sharing on the printers and the amount of people allowed to
    use the printers at any given time says "Maximum Allowed".

    Has anyone seen this before? Please tell me if you have even if you don't
    know how to sort it out and has anyone managed to solve such an issue, if so
    how? Or finally if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

  2. Re: Networked printers on Windows domain

    I found the solution, Windows XP Pro supports a maximum of 10 users per
    share. Upgraded the print spooler to Windows 2000 Server and the problem
    seems to have gone away.

+ Reply to Thread