Seeking help networking two PCs. - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Seeking help networking two PCs. - Windows NT ; Hi, I am in need of help setting up two PCs as a network so that I can transfer files between them. The PCs are a laptop running Windows 2000 and a desktop running Windows NT. Here is where I ...

  1. Seeking help networking two PCs.

    Hi,

    I am in need of help setting up two PCs as a network so that I can transfer
    files between them. The PCs are a laptop running Windows 2000 and a desktop
    running Windows NT.

    Here is where I am at:

    I connected the computers with a crossover cable and set the network
    protocols to:

    Laptop(2K): 192.168.0.1
    Desktop(NT): 192.168.0.2
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

    I gave both computers have the same workgroup name (HOME). Also I logged on
    to both computers using the user name Administrator and the same password.

    I was able to ping each computer from the other so I figure the network is
    functioning.

    BUT, I haven't been able to figure out how to see the drives on the other
    computer. I tried playing around with the "Sharing" settings for the drives
    but I couldn't get it to work.

    I also tried a command prompt method, for example:

    net use X: \\192.168.0.2\C$

    But when I do this I get an error:

    "System error 53 has occurred.
    The network path was not found."

    Any suggestions what I should do?

    One problem may be that both computers have the same name. I got an error on
    boot up that I think referred to this. I dunno if this is source of the
    problem though.

    -Jon

  2. Re: Seeking help networking two PCs.

    - Give your PCs different names
    - Turn off your firewalls

    "Jonathan Klein" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am in need of help setting up two PCs as a network so that I can

    transfer
    > files between them. The PCs are a laptop running Windows 2000 and a

    desktop
    > running Windows NT.
    >
    > Here is where I am at:
    >
    > I connected the computers with a crossover cable and set the network
    > protocols to:
    >
    > Laptop(2K): 192.168.0.1
    > Desktop(NT): 192.168.0.2
    > Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    >
    > I gave both computers have the same workgroup name (HOME). Also I logged

    on
    > to both computers using the user name Administrator and the same password.
    >
    > I was able to ping each computer from the other so I figure the network is
    > functioning.
    >
    > BUT, I haven't been able to figure out how to see the drives on the other
    > computer. I tried playing around with the "Sharing" settings for the

    drives
    > but I couldn't get it to work.
    >
    > I also tried a command prompt method, for example:
    >

    > net use X: \\192.168.0.2\C$
    >
    > But when I do this I get an error:
    >
    > "System error 53 has occurred.
    > The network path was not found."
    >
    > Any suggestions what I should do?
    >
    > One problem may be that both computers have the same name. I got an error

    on
    > boot up that I think referred to this. I dunno if this is source of the
    > problem though.
    >
    > -Jon

  3. Re: Seeking help networking two PCs.

    The PC's can't have the same name. It appears to me that this is the source
    of the problem. System error 53 refers to the fact that something within
    the Netbois protocol is puking.

    All the other details look to be OK.

    You're almost there!

    DWM

    "Jonathan Klein" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am in need of help setting up two PCs as a network so that I can

    transfer
    > files between them. The PCs are a laptop running Windows 2000 and a

    desktop
    > running Windows NT.
    >
    > Here is where I am at:
    >
    > I connected the computers with a crossover cable and set the network
    > protocols to:
    >
    > Laptop(2K): 192.168.0.1
    > Desktop(NT): 192.168.0.2
    > Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    >
    > I gave both computers have the same workgroup name (HOME). Also I logged

    on
    > to both computers using the user name Administrator and the same password.
    >
    > I was able to ping each computer from the other so I figure the network is
    > functioning.
    >
    > BUT, I haven't been able to figure out how to see the drives on the other
    > computer. I tried playing around with the "Sharing" settings for the

    drives
    > but I couldn't get it to work.
    >
    > I also tried a command prompt method, for example:
    >

    > net use X: \\192.168.0.2\C$
    >
    > But when I do this I get an error:
    >
    > "System error 53 has occurred.
    > The network path was not found."
    >
    > Any suggestions what I should do?
    >
    > One problem may be that both computers have the same name. I got an error

    on
    > boot up that I think referred to this. I dunno if this is source of the
    > problem though.
    >
    > -Jon

+ Reply to Thread