Problems upgrading from NT 4 to W2K Server - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Problems upgrading from NT 4 to W2K Server - Windows NT ; I am trying to do something that seems like it should be simple. I want to upgrade a small network I support from Windows NT 4.0 Server to Windows NT 2000 Server, but when I try to set up the ...

  1. Problems upgrading from NT 4 to W2K Server

    I am trying to do something that seems like it should be simple.

    I want to upgrade a small network I support from Windows NT 4.0 Server to
    Windows NT 2000 Server, but when I try to set up the Windows 2000 server,
    none of my clients can find the server in order to authenticate to the
    Active Directory.

    Here is my configuration under NT 4.0:

    - A Linksys cable/DSL router controls access to the Internet, and also acts
    as a DHCP server. The router dynamically obtains an address from the ISP.

    - The local address of the router is 192.168.1.1.

    - The local address of the Windows NT server is 192.168.1.2 (This is a fixed
    address).

    - The other computers on the network (a mixture of Windows 98/2000/XP) have
    local addresses assigned dynamically by the router, ranging from 192.168.1.3
    to 192.168.1.20.

    - I have configured the primary and secondary DNS addresses on the router,
    and it gives this information to each client when it assigns the local IP
    address. I hardcoded the values for the server since it is a fixed address.
    Each computer can access the Internet without any problems with the NT 4.0
    server.

    - The NT 4.0 server is not a web server, a DNS server, a WINS server, or any
    other type of host. It just controls the domain and is a file/print server.
    When I try to set up the same configuration using Active Directory on a
    Windows 2000 server, none of the clients can even find the domain or active
    directory. My 2000/XP workstations can't be added to the domain, and my 98
    workstations can't log in either.

    I have enabled Netbios over TCP/IP, so this should allow my clients to talk
    to the server as if it were a Windows NT 4.0 server, isn't that correct?

    Somebody told me that I needed to configure DNS on the Windows 2000 server,
    but why would this be necessary? The server isn't controlling my domain,
    and I don't want it to be a DHCP server. I want the router to dole out the
    IP addresses, not the 2000 server.

    If I do have to configure DNS, how should I do this? What are the exact
    values I would use on the server and on the workstations?

    I would appreciate any help that you can give me. I have installed Windows
    2000 workstations numerous times, but have never set up a 2000 server in
    this type of an environment before.

    Thanks,

    Ernest Stalnaker

  2. Re: Problems upgrading from NT 4 to W2K Server

    Ernest,

    I think Active Directory needs DNS to work properly. Someone else out there
    can verify this. As far as setting it up, I'll let someone else handle that
    one. Good Luck.

    Mark

    "Ernest D. Stalnaker" wrote in message
    > I am trying to do something that seems like it should be simple.
    >
    > I want to upgrade a small network I support from Windows NT 4.0 Server to
    > Windows NT 2000 Server, but when I try to set up the Windows 2000 server,
    > none of my clients can find the server in order to authenticate to the
    > Active Directory.
    >
    > Here is my configuration under NT 4.0:
    >
    > - A Linksys cable/DSL router controls access to the Internet, and also

    acts
    > as a DHCP server. The router dynamically obtains an address from the ISP.
    >
    > - The local address of the router is 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > - The local address of the Windows NT server is 192.168.1.2 (This is a

    fixed
    > address).
    >
    > - The other computers on the network (a mixture of Windows 98/2000/XP)

    have
    > local addresses assigned dynamically by the router, ranging from

    192.168.1.3
    > to 192.168.1.20.
    >
    > - I have configured the primary and secondary DNS addresses on the router,
    > and it gives this information to each client when it assigns the local IP
    > address. I hardcoded the values for the server since it is a fixed

    address.
    > Each computer can access the Internet without any problems with the NT 4.0
    > server.
    >
    > - The NT 4.0 server is not a web server, a DNS server, a WINS server, or

    any
    > other type of host. It just controls the domain and is a file/print

    server.
    > When I try to set up the same configuration using Active Directory on a
    > Windows 2000 server, none of the clients can even find the domain or

    active
    > directory. My 2000/XP workstations can't be added to the domain, and my

    98
    > workstations can't log in either.
    >
    > I have enabled Netbios over TCP/IP, so this should allow my clients to

    talk
    > to the server as if it were a Windows NT 4.0 server, isn't that correct?
    >
    > Somebody told me that I needed to configure DNS on the Windows 2000

    server,
    > but why would this be necessary? The server isn't controlling my domain,
    > and I don't want it to be a DHCP server. I want the router to dole out

    the
    > IP addresses, not the 2000 server.
    >
    > If I do have to configure DNS, how should I do this? What are the exact
    > values I would use on the server and on the workstations?
    >
    > I would appreciate any help that you can give me. I have installed

    Windows
    > 2000 workstations numerous times, but have never set up a 2000 server in
    > this type of an environment before.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ernest Stalnaker

  3. Re: Problems upgrading from NT 4 to W2K Server

    correct DNS will work without AD but AD will not work without DNS

+ Reply to Thread