WINS, DNS And name resolution in general - Windows NT

This is a discussion on WINS, DNS And name resolution in general - Windows NT ; I've got a few questions about name resolution and the order that it occurs. It was my understanding that the pc checks the local hosts (or should that be lmhosts) file first and then WINS server, then DNS server. Is ...

  1. WINS, DNS And name resolution in general

    I've got a few questions about name resolution and the order that it occurs.
    It was my understanding that the pc checks the local hosts (or should that
    be lmhosts) file first and then WINS server, then DNS server. Is this
    correct? What happens if the WINS and DNS servers cannot be found? In a
    small peer-to-peer network all the pc's resolve the names of the others
    themselves (don't they). So why do we need WINS? I know DNS has now
    replaced it but I'm working on a LAN that has NT4 and WINS.

    maxcoppin@humphreyfarms.com

  2. Re: WINS, DNS And name resolution in general

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:13:58 +0000 (UTC), "MJC"
    wrote:

    >I've got a few questions about name resolution and the order that it occurs.
    >It was my understanding that the pc checks the local hosts (or should that
    >be lmhosts) file first and then WINS server, then DNS server. Is this
    >correct? What happens if the WINS and DNS servers cannot be found? In a
    >small peer-to-peer network all the pc's resolve the names of the others
    >themselves (don't they). So why do we need WINS? I know DNS has now
    >replaced it but I'm working on a LAN that has NT4 and WINS.

    I'm relatively new to this Networking lark but am enjoying the
    learning curve.

    I know on Linux you can set the search order, mine searches the local
    host file first then DNS.

    Not sure what happens when Windows takes over but is seems to work.

    WINS is a bit of a mystery to me.

    Geoff Lane

  3. Re: WINS, DNS And name resolution in general

    "MJC" wrote in

    > I've got a few questions about name resolution and the order that
    > it occurs. It was my understanding that the pc checks the local
    > hosts (or should that be lmhosts) file first and then WINS server,
    > then DNS server. Is this correct?

    It depends on what you are doing. You must consider Microsoft
    Networking (ie NetBT or NetBios over TCP/IP) apart from raw TCP/IP
    applications like web browsers, email servers/clients, and the like.
    "WINS" and "lmhosts" applies only to NetBT. "DNS" and "HOSTS"
    applies to TCP/IP.

    Assuming that you are talking about NetBT, then a name is resolved
    as follows:
    1) Local Name Cache
    2) WINS server
    3) secondary WINS
    4) Name query Broadcast on local subnet
    5) LMHOSTS
    6) DNS

    If you are talking a TCP/IP application, you can omit steps 1-5
    above.

    > What happens if the WINS and DNS servers cannot be found?

    see above. Microsoft networking cannot "see" past routers without
    WINS/lmhosts; so as long as a client is on the same subnet, the "name
    query broadcast" will probably find it.

    > In a small peer-to-peer network all the pc's resolve the
    > names of the others themselves (don't they). So why do we
    > need WINS?

    If the entire network consists of a single subnet, WINS is not
    needed. If I randomly plug my laptop into a DHCP network, there is
    no way for someone on a different subnet (using Microsoft
    Networking) to find my laptop on the network. With WINS, my laptop
    will register itself with the WINS server as soon as I plug it in
    and others can query the WINS server to find my laptop on the
    network.

    > I know DNS has now replaced it but I'm working on a LAN
    > that has NT4 and WINS.

    I don't believe DNS has totally replaced it. DNS is used for TCP/IP
    resolution and is a last resort when all else fails for Microsoft
    networking. Unless my laptop can somehow register with a [dynamic]
    DNS when it is DHCP-assigned an address (and everyone else on the
    network knows how to turn that name into a fully-qualified domain
    name), nobody will know where I am on the network.

    For more info:

    HTH,
    John

  4. Re: WINS, DNS And name resolution in general

    WINS
    DNS
    LMHOSTS
    Broadcast

    In a Peer to Peer all workstations send a Broadcast.

    WINS is used for Wide Area Networks (as Broadcasts will not pass through
    routers) and to reduce bandwidth consumption due to the Broadcasts.

    Windows 2000 Server and Server 2003 use DNS for name resolution.
    Microsoft has decided to join the Unix world and use Domain Names
    instead of the Windows Naming scheme.
    Microsoft will no longer be supporting WINS in the future.

    MJC wrote:
    > I've got a few questions about name resolution and the order that it occurs.
    > It was my understanding that the pc checks the local hosts (or should that
    > be lmhosts) file first and then WINS server, then DNS server. Is this
    > correct? What happens if the WINS and DNS servers cannot be found? In a
    > small peer-to-peer network all the pc's resolve the names of the others
    > themselves (don't they). So why do we need WINS? I know DNS has now
    > replaced it but I'm working on a LAN that has NT4 and WINS.
    >

    > maxcoppin@humphreyfarms.com

+ Reply to Thread