Help - how to connect two switch boxes? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Help - how to connect two switch boxes? - Windows NT ; Hi, I'm not familiar with network switch boxes, and would appreciate it if someone could help me on this. I have two identical switch boxes (s1 and s2) that are Dell PowerConnect 5012. Each one has 12 ports, and I ...

  1. Help - how to connect two switch boxes?

    Hi,

    I'm not familiar with network switch boxes, and would appreciate it if
    someone could help me on this.

    I have two identical switch boxes (s1 and s2) that are Dell PowerConnect
    5012. Each one has 12 ports, and I need to connect them together to provide
    20 ports.

    I have 2 host PCs (h1 and h2) and 1 target device (t1).

    - if I connect all 3 devices to the same switch box, then both h1 and h2 can
    ping t1.
    - if I connect h1 and t1 to s1, and h2 to s2. s1 and s2 are connected by a
    straight Ethernet cable. h2 can't ping t1 any more.

    What I missed? Do I need to setup any IP addresses for these two swithes?

    Thanks,

    T.

  2. Re: Help - how to connect two switch boxes?

    L wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm not familiar with network switch boxes, and would appreciate it if
    > someone could help me on this.
    >
    > I have two identical switch boxes (s1 and s2) that are Dell PowerConnect
    > 5012. Each one has 12 ports, and I need to connect them together to provide
    > 20 ports.
    >
    > I have 2 host PCs (h1 and h2) and 1 target device (t1).
    >
    > - if I connect all 3 devices to the same switch box, then both h1 and h2 can
    > ping t1.
    > - if I connect h1 and t1 to s1, and h2 to s2. s1 and s2 are connected by a
    > straight Ethernet cable. h2 can't ping t1 any more.

    You probably need a crossover cable.

    --
    Phil Frisbie, Jr.
    Hawk Software