please help - Windows NT

This is a discussion on please help - Windows NT ; I have deleted a file on a network share, my workstation is windows 2000 and my server is NT 4.0 the file was on the server, but I deleted via mapped drive on my workstation the file is not in ...

  1. please help

    I have deleted a file on a network share, my workstation is windows 2000 and
    my server is NT 4.0

    the file was on the server, but I deleted via mapped drive on my workstation

    the file is not in the server recycle bin nor is it on my workstation
    recycle bin

    where does it go?

  2. Re: please help

    "Mostro Di Biscottos" wrote in message
    > I have deleted a file on a network share, my workstation is windows 2000

    and
    > my server is NT 4.0
    >
    > the file was on the server, but I deleted via mapped drive on my

    workstation

    > the file is not in the server recycle bin nor is it on my workstation
    > recycle bin
    >
    > where does it go?

    It got deleted for good. Ask your system administrator to retrieve
    it from backup.

  3. Re: please help

    thanks, although that's not what I what I wanted to hear

    i am the sys admin, and my backups at that remote location had not been
    working

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message

    > "Mostro Di Biscottos" wrote in message
    > > I have deleted a file on a network share, my workstation is windows 2000

    > and
    > > my server is NT 4.0
    > >
    > > the file was on the server, but I deleted via mapped drive on my

    > workstation
    > >
    > > the file is not in the server recycle bin nor is it on my workstation
    > > recycle bin
    > >
    > > where does it go?
    > >

    > It got deleted for good. Ask your system administrator to retrieve
    > it from backup.

  4. Re: please help

    When I was in charge of some 1000 PCs, one of my staff
    spent half an hour each day in checking various things on
    the servers at each site:
    - Amount of free disk space
    - Critical entries in the event loggers
    - Backup logs

    This was in recognition of the fact that automatic processes
    have a nasty tendency to fail for the most unexpected reasons,
    and that human scrutiny is essential.

    > thanks, although that's not what I what I wanted to hear
    >
    > i am the sys admin, and my backups at that remote location had not been
    > working
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mostro Di Biscottos" wrote in message
    > > > I have deleted a file on a network share, my workstation is windows

    2000
    > > and
    > > > my server is NT 4.0
    > > >
    > > > the file was on the server, but I deleted via mapped drive on my

    > > workstation
    > > >
    > > > the file is not in the server recycle bin nor is it on my workstation
    > > > recycle bin
    > > >
    > > > where does it go?
    > > >

    > > It got deleted for good. Ask your system administrator to retrieve
    > > it from backup.

  5. Re: please help

    thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated

    checking those things is a habit I will acquire

    > When I was in charge of some 1000 PCs, one of my staff
    > spent half an hour each day in checking various things on
    > the servers at each site:
    > - Amount of free disk space
    > - Critical entries in the event loggers
    > - Backup logs
    >
    > This was in recognition of the fact that automatic processes
    > have a nasty tendency to fail for the most unexpected reasons,
    > and that human scrutiny is essential.
    >
    > "Mostro Di Biscottos" wrote in message
    > >
    > > thanks, although that's not what I what I wanted to hear
    > >
    > > i am the sys admin, and my backups at that remote location had not been
    > > working
    > >

    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Mostro Di Biscottos" wrote in message

    > 2000
    > > > and

    > > > workstation

    workstation

    > > > It got deleted for good. Ask your system administrator to retrieve
    > > > it from backup.

  6. Re: please help

    "Mostro Di Biscottos" wrote in message
    > I have deleted a file on a network share, my workstation is windows 2000

    and
    > my server is NT 4.0
    >
    > the file was on the server, but I deleted via mapped drive on my

    workstation

    > the file is not in the server recycle bin nor is it on my workstation
    > recycle bin
    >
    > where does it go?

    WWW.google.com
    "Undelete for Windows"