Windows XP Pro file sharing glitch - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows XP Pro file sharing glitch - Windows NT ; My computer is experiencing a chronic episode of file and printer sharing errors... thank you in advance to anybody who may be able to help me sort this out. I presently have my computer, a Windows XP Pro laptop called ...

  1. Windows XP Pro file sharing glitch

    My computer is experiencing a chronic episode of file and printer
    sharing errors... thank you in advance to anybody who may be able to
    help me sort this out.

    I presently have my computer, a Windows XP Pro laptop called valhalla,
    on a LAN with three other Windows XP machines (some Home, some Pro). The
    nature of my problem is this: When I attempt to access my laptop from
    any other computer on the network through Windows Explorer, my laptop
    will not grant access to anonymous users. Instead, the following error
    message appears:

    -

    \\valhalla is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    if you have access permissions.

    Access is denied.

    -

    (There is no prompt for a user name and a password.)

    This despite that I have configured the networking option "let everyone
    permissions apply to anonymous users" in the local security policy, and
    I have several active shares readable by "Everybody", "Guest", and
    "ANONYMOUS LOGON". My guest account is enabled. In fact, looking in my
    laptop's security audit logs, I observe that when I attempt to navigate
    to "\\valhalla" on a client machine, the client fails to authenticate
    with my server using its current user name and password. Then it
    defaults to trying to log in as "guest" - which succeeds, according to
    valhalla's logs. Indeed, even though I receive this error message on the
    client, a look at valhalla's net sessions or the client's "net use"
    output reveals that the client is apparently connected to \\valhalla\IPC$.

    I should note that I can successfully access shared files and printers
    on my laptop by logging in with my Administrator-group user name and
    password, by first executing

    net use \\valhalla /user:mshroyer

    on the client, entering my password when prompted, then navigating to
    \\valhalla using Windows Explorer.

    Any ideas? This one has baffled me for a while now...

    Thanks,
    -Mark

  2. Re: Windows XP Pro file sharing glitch

    This is no glitch at all. Make sure to define some account/password
    on each machine, and to use that account when logging on.

    Enabling guest accounts & anonymous logins is asking for
    trouble. Sooner or later you'll get hit by a hacker. Use proper
    accounts - it is so much safer!

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > My computer is experiencing a chronic episode of file and printer
    > sharing errors... thank you in advance to anybody who may be able to
    > help me sort this out.
    >
    > I presently have my computer, a Windows XP Pro laptop called valhalla,
    > on a LAN with three other Windows XP machines (some Home, some Pro). The
    > nature of my problem is this: When I attempt to access my laptop from
    > any other computer on the network through Windows Explorer, my laptop
    > will not grant access to anonymous users. Instead, the following error
    > message appears:
    >
    > -
    >
    > \\valhalla is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    > if you have access permissions.
    >
    > Access is denied.
    >
    > -
    >
    > (There is no prompt for a user name and a password.)
    >
    > This despite that I have configured the networking option "let everyone
    > permissions apply to anonymous users" in the local security policy, and
    > I have several active shares readable by "Everybody", "Guest", and
    > "ANONYMOUS LOGON". My guest account is enabled. In fact, looking in my
    > laptop's security audit logs, I observe that when I attempt to navigate
    > to "\\valhalla" on a client machine, the client fails to authenticate
    > with my server using its current user name and password. Then it
    > defaults to trying to log in as "guest" - which succeeds, according to
    > valhalla's logs. Indeed, even though I receive this error message on the
    > client, a look at valhalla's net sessions or the client's "net use"
    > output reveals that the client is apparently connected to \\valhalla\IPC$.
    >
    > I should note that I can successfully access shared files and printers
    > on my laptop by logging in with my Administrator-group user name and
    > password, by first executing
    >
    > net use \\valhalla /user:mshroyer
    >
    > on the client, entering my password when prompted, then navigating to
    > \\valhalla using Windows Explorer.
    >
    > Any ideas? This one has baffled me for a while now...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Mark

+ Reply to Thread