How do I transfer files between my laptop and desktop computers? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on How do I transfer files between my laptop and desktop computers? - Windows NT ; I just bought a laptop (used IBM TP 600E). I want to transfer files from my old (actually archaic) desktop to my laptop and the reverse way also. I have a 3Com ISA Ethernet card in my desktop, a 3Com ...

  1. How do I transfer files between my laptop and desktop computers?

    I just bought a laptop (used IBM TP 600E). I want to transfer files from my
    old (actually archaic) desktop to my laptop and the reverse way also.

    I have a 3Com ISA Ethernet card in my desktop, a 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card
    in my laptop and a cable to connect the two. I have Windows NT 4.0 on the
    desktop and Windows 2000 on the laptop.

    Do I have everything I need to do what I want to do? If so, can somebody let
    me know what I need to do to do it?

    Further to this, is this the preferred way to transfer files between a
    desktop and laptop (ie: via ethernet cards and a cable? Being that I am a
    new laptop owner I am looking for advice on how to live with both a laptop
    and a desktop. I am used to just having the desktop and everything (emails,
    documents etc) stored on it alone.

    Jonathan Klein

  2. Re: How do I transfer files between my laptop and desktop computers?

    Your best bet would be to talk to a friend who is
    familiar with the basics of networking. If this is
    not an option, try Google with search phrases
    such as "Introduction to networking", "TCP/IP
    for beginners" etc.

    You might also try this newsgroup:
    microsoft.public.win98.networking
    They regularly quote links to sites with step-by-step
    networking instructions. 99% of the information applies
    to Win98 and WinNT/Win2000.

    "Jonathan Klein" wrote in message
    news:A195b.890417$3C2.20525996@news3.calgary.shaw. ca...
    > I just bought a laptop (used IBM TP 600E). I want to transfer files from

    my
    > old (actually archaic) desktop to my laptop and the reverse way also.
    >
    > I have a 3Com ISA Ethernet card in my desktop, a 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card
    > in my laptop and a cable to connect the two. I have Windows NT 4.0 on the
    > desktop and Windows 2000 on the laptop.
    >
    > Do I have everything I need to do what I want to do? If so, can somebody

    let
    > me know what I need to do to do it?
    >
    > Further to this, is this the preferred way to transfer files between a
    > desktop and laptop (ie: via ethernet cards and a cable? Being that I am a
    > new laptop owner I am looking for advice on how to live with both a laptop
    > and a desktop. I am used to just having the desktop and everything

    (emails,
    > documents etc) stored on it alone.
    >
    > Jonathan Klein

  3. Re: How do I transfer files between my laptop and desktop computers?

    This is a pretty big topic. You are pretty close...

    I'm not able to take the time to detail out everything you need to do to to
    make this go but it can be done, it's not that tough and it will work very
    well.

    Hardware wise, it sounds as though all you'd need is an Ethernet cross over
    cable to connect the network interfaces "back to back".

    Then it's just a matter of configuring network protocols properly and
    sharing a folder with proper security.

    If you didn't have the cross over cable available or don't know how to make
    one, you could connect both PCs to a switch or hub.

    DWM

    "Jonathan Klein" wrote in message
    news:A195b.890417$3C2.20525996@news3.calgary.shaw. ca...
    > I just bought a laptop (used IBM TP 600E). I want to transfer files from

    my
    > old (actually archaic) desktop to my laptop and the reverse way also.
    >
    > I have a 3Com ISA Ethernet card in my desktop, a 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card
    > in my laptop and a cable to connect the two. I have Windows NT 4.0 on the
    > desktop and Windows 2000 on the laptop.
    >
    > Do I have everything I need to do what I want to do? If so, can somebody

    let
    > me know what I need to do to do it?
    >
    > Further to this, is this the preferred way to transfer files between a
    > desktop and laptop (ie: via ethernet cards and a cable? Being that I am a
    > new laptop owner I am looking for advice on how to live with both a laptop
    > and a desktop. I am used to just having the desktop and everything

    (emails,
    > documents etc) stored on it alone.
    >
    > Jonathan Klein

  4. Re: How do I transfer files between my laptop and desktop computers?

    I am part of the way there already.

    I connected the computers with a crossover cable and set the network
    protocols to:

    PC1: 192.168.0.1
    PC2: 192.168.0.2
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

    both computers have the same workgroup name and password. However the user
    name is different on the two.

    I was able to ping each computer from the other so I figure the network is
    functioning.

    BUT, I couldn't figure out how to see the drives on the other computer. I
    tried playing around with the "Sharing" settings for the drives but I
    couldn't get it to work.

    Do you have any advice on how to set the sharing settings?

    -Jonathan

  5. Re: How do I transfer files between my laptop and desktop computers?

    Log on as "administrator" on each PC (with the same
    password!), open a Command Prompt and issue this
    command:

    net use x: \\OtherPC\c$

    > I am part of the way there already.
    >
    > I connected the computers with a crossover cable and set the network
    > protocols to:
    >
    > PC1: 192.168.0.1
    > PC2: 192.168.0.2
    > Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    >
    > both computers have the same workgroup name and password. However the user
    > name is different on the two.
    >
    > I was able to ping each computer from the other so I figure the network is
    > functioning.
    >
    > BUT, I couldn't figure out how to see the drives on the other computer. I
    > tried playing around with the "Sharing" settings for the drives but I
    > couldn't get it to work.
    >
    > Do you have any advice on how to set the sharing settings?
    >
    > -Jonathan

+ Reply to Thread