When pinging domain, wrong server responds - Windows NT

This is a discussion on When pinging domain, wrong server responds - Windows NT ; My company intially had one Windows 2000 server running active directory. This computer has lots of problems with its registry and other configurations. The best idea is to rebuild the operating system. We have obtained a new Windows 2000 server ...

  1. When pinging domain, wrong server responds

    My company intially had one Windows 2000 server running active
    directory. This computer has lots of problems with its registry and
    other configurations. The best idea is to rebuild the operating
    system. We have obtained a new Windows 2000 server because the first
    one has become full. I want to take the old server offline, format it
    and reinstall the OS. Everything has been changed over to the new
    server, that includes all shared drives, services, printers etc.. The
    problem is from any computer in the company, when you ping the domain
    by name, the old servers ip address responds. I have used ntdsutil to
    transfer the 5 operations master roles from the old server to the new
    server. This includes the schema, Domain, PDC, RID and ifrastructure
    roles. Why does the old server still respond when pinging the domain
    by name? Is it a DNS issue?

    Matt
    mattw@lifelinestechnology.com

    Thank you in advance

  2. Re: When pinging domain, wrong server responds

    Is the old server still online? I would check DHCP-server on the new server
    to see if it is pointing to the IP of your new server. Did you give the new
    server another static IP?

    Marina

    "Matt" schreef in bericht
    news:604a085.0308250835.63fc0683@posting.google.co m...
    > My company intially had one Windows 2000 server running active
    > directory. This computer has lots of problems with its registry and
    > other configurations. The best idea is to rebuild the operating
    > system. We have obtained a new Windows 2000 server because the first
    > one has become full. I want to take the old server offline, format it
    > and reinstall the OS. Everything has been changed over to the new
    > server, that includes all shared drives, services, printers etc.. The
    > problem is from any computer in the company, when you ping the domain
    > by name, the old servers ip address responds. I have used ntdsutil to
    > transfer the 5 operations master roles from the old server to the new
    > server. This includes the schema, Domain, PDC, RID and ifrastructure
    > roles. Why does the old server still respond when pinging the domain
    > by name? Is it a DNS issue?
    >
    > Matt
    > mattw@lifelinestechnology.com
    >
    > Thank you in advance