Dual IP on single NIC question from non-NT admin? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Dual IP on single NIC question from non-NT admin? - Windows NT ; Dear NT'ers; While I can do windows favorably, I hardly know NT 4.0 workstation. We have a replacement machine running NT workstation 4.0 SP1 which is working but we have some glitch things. Originally our NT box had two NIC ...

  1. Dual IP on single NIC question from non-NT admin?

    Dear NT'ers;

    While I can do windows favorably, I hardly know NT 4.0 workstation.

    We have a replacement machine running NT workstation 4.0 SP1 which is
    working but we have some glitch things.

    Originally our NT box had two NIC cards installed, one for one subnet,
    the other for another. Both networks functioned perfectly.

    With this replacement, we couldn't get the 2nd NIC card to work so we
    tried multi-homing on the first integrated one. We were in fact able
    to define two subnets and IP addresses for this box.

    However, while we can ftp back and forth between the 2nd IP and its
    network host, we cannot get to that subnets gateway to the internet
    NOR can we map a remote drive on that subnet.

    Again, as it wasn't an issue with the two adapters, it is now.

    My guess is that we are missing some fundamention piece of
    configuration that will enable this.

    Can someone please point us in the right direction to solve this?

    Thanks in advance to those who can help.

    Bob

  2. Re: Dual IP on single NIC question from non-NT admin?

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:40:51 GMT, "Alan Walters"
    wrote:

    >I'll give this a shot...
    >
    >1. Go to Control Panel/Network (or Right-Click Network
    >Neighborhood/Properties)
    >2. Click on Protocols Tab
    >3. Double-Click TCP/IP Protocol
    >4. Click on Routing Tab
    >5. Check Enable IP Forwarding
    >6. Keep clicking OK until the system reboots
    >
    >Now each NIC can forward to the other.
    >

    >If you want to add some simple security (especially to the NIC facing the
    >internet):
    >1. Get back to Double-Click TCP/IP Protocol
    >2. Click IP Address Tab (should be first by default)
    >3. Click Advanced Button
    >4. Click Enable Security
    >5. Click Configure Button
    >6. Choose the Public (internet) NIC
    >7. Configure desired Port/Protocol Settings
    >8. Keep clicking OK until the system reboots
    >
    >To be honest, I've never actually configured those, but have relied on a
    >Firewall instead.
    >

    >Alan Walters
    >(Windows and HP-UX guy)
    >

    >"Bob Mariotti" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:10:17 +0100, "Fester Rancid"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, I have a little change in this scenario.
    >>
    >> To improve the security of one subnet talking to the other through
    >> this machine I installed a 2nd NIC in this NT box.
    >>
    >> I then deleted the 2nd IP from the internal NIC and added it to the
    >> 2nd. Now I can access both subnets separately.
    >>
    >> HOWEVER, I still cannot access the internet from the 2nd card. I
    >> checked that the gateway for the 2nd subnet internet router is defined
    >> as the gateway for the 2nd NIC adapter. Also, there only seemed to be
    >> one place to define the DNS servers and that was under the "general"
    >> TCP/IP settings (not for each individual adapter).
    >>
    >> I listed my routes and it appears the 0.0.0.0 is using 192.168.0.1 as
    >> its default gateway (and that would be correct).
    >>
    >> What else do I need to define to allow access to the Internet from the
    >> 2nd NIC through the above mentioned router/gateway? And if it to add
    >> a route, please advise the command to accomplish that in NT 4.0?
    >>
    >> Thanks for helping a *nix guy.

    Alan;

    Thanks for the step by step instructions. However, it didn't really
    do anything and still does not work.

    However, here's a change and perhaps you would be willing to help
    with this variation. Same NT4.0 workstation system.

    Two NIC's, two subnets.

    Internal NIC IP 192.168.250.2
    gateway 192.168.250.1

    2nd NIC IP 192.168.0.98
    gateway 192.168.0.1

    Each gateway is the IP of a router for the appropriate subnet.

    The gateway to the Internet is the 2nd NIC gateway.

    I can ping any active device on the 2nd subnet and I can
    even map to a drive on the 2nd subnet.

    However, I cannot connect to the Internet from the 2nd subnet. IE
    just hangs and eventully times out.

    The 1st subnet is actually the secondary and used only to communicate
    with a data collection server on the other side of the gateway router.

    My question is:

    What must I do to allow this system to access the Internet via the 2nd
    NIC gateway 192.168.0.1???

    Thanks in advance for additional advice.

    Bob

  3. Re: Dual IP on single NIC question from non-NT admin?

    Hmmm, I was assuming your TCPIP configuration (such as Subnet Masks, etc.)
    were already defined correctly
    and all you needed to do was enable Forwarding between the two NIC's.

    Check out this MSKB article:
    and skip down to the section titled "Multihomed Router" and the associated
    Article 157025.

    According to these, your use of dual Gateways may be causing problems. One
    solution is to use only one
    Gateway and define Static Route(s) to cross subnets.

    Alan

    > Thanks for the step by step instructions. However, it didn't really
    > do anything and still does not work.
    >
    > However, here's a change and perhaps you would be willing to help
    > with this variation. Same NT4.0 workstation system.
    >
    > Two NIC's, two subnets.
    >
    > Internal NIC IP 192.168.250.2
    > gateway 192.168.250.1
    >
    > 2nd NIC IP 192.168.0.98
    > gateway 192.168.0.1
    >
    > Each gateway is the IP of a router for the appropriate subnet.
    >
    > The gateway to the Internet is the 2nd NIC gateway.
    >
    > I can ping any active device on the 2nd subnet and I can
    > even map to a drive on the 2nd subnet.
    >
    > However, I cannot connect to the Internet from the 2nd subnet. IE
    > just hangs and eventully times out.
    >
    > The 1st subnet is actually the secondary and used only to communicate
    > with a data collection server on the other side of the gateway router.
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > What must I do to allow this system to access the Internet via the 2nd
    > NIC gateway 192.168.0.1???

+ Reply to Thread