Permissions - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Permissions - Windows NT ; Here I have an application for which there is no documentation or support. (It comes from the local city government and is used to prepare certain forms.) Running on a Win2k workstation with the app on C: and the data ...

  1. Permissions

    Here I have an application for which there is no documentation or
    support. (It comes from the local city government and is used to
    prepare certain forms.) Running on a Win2k workstation with the app on
    C: and the data on an NT server, it fails if a user tries certain
    operations. Then, if the admin logs in and does the same operation it
    works, after which the user can do it under his login too. Is there a
    specific problem indicated by this behavior?

    I verified the user can create, modify and delete random files on the NT
    server. I didn't (yet) have time to run a complete trace on what files
    the app was accessing and where.

    --
    -Reply in group, but if emailing please add two more zeros and delete
    the obvious-

  2. Re: Permissions

    "Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
    > Here I have an application for which there is no documentation or
    > support. (It comes from the local city government and is used to
    > prepare certain forms.) Running on a Win2k workstation with the app on
    > C: and the data on an NT server, it fails if a user tries certain
    > operations. Then, if the admin logs in and does the same operation it
    > works, after which the user can do it under his login too. Is there a
    > specific problem indicated by this behavior?
    >
    > I verified the user can create, modify and delete random files on the NT
    > server. I didn't (yet) have time to run a complete trace on what files
    > the app was accessing and where.
    >
    > --
    > -Reply in group, but if emailing please add two more zeros and delete
    > the obvious-

    Assuming that the application itself has no inbuilt restrictions, you
    should open up permissions in these two areas:

    - The folder where the app keeps its data files. Make sure that the NTFS
    permissions are set to "Full Control" for everybody.
    - The registry key where the application is listed (HKLM/Software/abcxyz)
    where abcxyz is the name of your app. Run regedt32.exe, then set the
    permissions on this key and all subkeys to "Full Control" for everybody.

    The alternative is to make everyone at least a Power User.

  3. Re: Permissions

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:15:34 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso"
    wrote:

    >Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >>
    >> - The folder where the app keeps its data files. Make sure that the
    >> NTFS permissions are set to "Full Control" for everybody.

    >I had tried that, but there was no effect, so I suspected a local
    >drive/OS issue.
    >

    >> - The registry key where the application is listed
    >> (HKLM/Software/abcxyz) where abcxyz is the name of your app. Run
    >> regedt32.exe, then set the permissions on this key and all subkeys
    >> to "Full Control" for everybody.

    >Thanks. I'll try that.

    You may want to download and use the PS tools from
    www.sysinternals.com. There is a file and registry access monitor
    include in the tools. Simply fire up the monitor, then the program as
    a generic user, then look through the monitor log for access errors.
    The regmon and filemon can filter based on program name which will
    drastically cut down the number of non -relevant entries.

    These tools come in handy for figuring out where some programs stash
    licensing info (eg buried under the classes key)

    -Chris

  4. Re: Permissions

    chris@nospam.com wrote:

    > You may want to download and use the PS tools from
    > www.sysinternals.com. There is a file and registry access monitor
    > include in the tools. Simply fire up the monitor, then the program as
    > a generic user, then look through the monitor log for access errors.
    > The regmon and filemon can filter based on program name which will
    > drastically cut down the number of non -relevant entries.

    Thanks. Those are the very programs I had in mind but I didn't have
    time to do a lot of analysis. After logging on as admin it was fixed,
    so the user went back to work, but I thought it was odd that his
    username was enabled that way.

    I expect it might have been enabled only for that data, and when he
    creates a new data set it might have the same problem again, so I'll get
    back to it before that happens. First I wanted to get a clue from the
    way it was (temporarily?) fixed.

    --
    -Reply in group, but if emailing please add two more zeros and delete
    the obvious-

+ Reply to Thread