home networking with Internet access - Windows NT

This is a discussion on home networking with Internet access - Windows NT ; Hello, I have two Windows XP pro machines. They share a router for Internet access. I don't have any system problems. "Sharing" files between the two systems works. But, I would like to know something more about the network setting ...

  1. home networking with Internet access

    Hello,

    I have two Windows XP pro machines. They share a router for Internet
    access. I don't have any system problems. "Sharing" files between the two
    systems works.

    But, I would like to know something more about the network setting "File and
    Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". That is the setting I have turned
    on for both my computers to share network resources.

    I've heard that enabling "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
    is inherently dangerous. I use NAT (on Linksys router) and ZoneAlarm Pro on
    both machines.

    If I continue to use "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and
    continue to "share" certain folders and files what external Internet threats
    may I encounter? What are the risks involved?

    I see no other way to share files and folders between the two systems other
    than enabling "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". Is there
    something I should be doing?

  2. Re: home networking with Internet access

    If you allow the regular Microsoft updates to be installed and if
    you set ZoneAlarm security to "high" on the Internet side then
    you should be safe.

    "brian" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have two Windows XP pro machines. They share a router for Internet
    > access. I don't have any system problems. "Sharing" files between the two
    > systems works.
    >
    > But, I would like to know something more about the network setting "File

    and
    > Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". That is the setting I have turned
    > on for both my computers to share network resources.
    >
    > I've heard that enabling "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
    > is inherently dangerous. I use NAT (on Linksys router) and ZoneAlarm Pro

    on
    > both machines.
    >
    > If I continue to use "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and
    > continue to "share" certain folders and files what external Internet

    threats
    > may I encounter? What are the risks involved?
    >
    > I see no other way to share files and folders between the two systems

    other
    > than enabling "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". Is there
    > something I should be doing?

  3. Re: home networking with Internet access

    Dear Pegasus,

    Thank you.

    ~Brian

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > If you allow the regular Microsoft updates to be installed and if
    > you set ZoneAlarm security to "high" on the Internet side then
    > you should be safe.
    >

    > "brian" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I have two Windows XP pro machines. They share a router for Internet
    >>access. I don't have any system problems. "Sharing" files between the two
    >>systems works.
    >>
    >>But, I would like to know something more about the network setting "File

    > and
    >
    >>Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". That is the setting I have turned
    >>on for both my computers to share network resources.
    >>
    >>I've heard that enabling "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
    >>is inherently dangerous. I use NAT (on Linksys router) and ZoneAlarm Pro

    > on
    >
    >>both machines.
    >>
    >>If I continue to use "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and
    >>continue to "share" certain folders and files what external Internet

    > threats
    >
    >>may I encounter? What are the risks involved?
    >>
    >>I see no other way to share files and folders between the two systems

    > other
    >
    >>than enabling "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". Is there
    >>something I should be doing?

  4. Re: home networking with Internet access

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:40:34 GMT, "brian"
    wrote:

    >I have two Windows XP pro machines. They share a router for Internet
    >access. I don't have any system problems. "Sharing" files between the two
    >systems works.
    >
    >But, I would like to know something more about the network setting "File and
    >Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". That is the setting I have turned
    >on for both my computers to share network resources.
    >
    >I've heard that enabling "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
    >is inherently dangerous. I use NAT (on Linksys router) and ZoneAlarm Pro on
    >both machines.
    >
    >If I continue to use "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and
    >continue to "share" certain folders and files what external Internet threats
    >may I encounter? What are the risks involved?
    >
    >I see no other way to share files and folders between the two systems other
    >than enabling "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". Is there
    >something I should be doing?

    The issue with file and printer sharing is for those who don't need to
    share files. By default, this is enabled, and there are a number of
    exploits that make use of the associated ports. If you had a
    stand-alone system, there would be no reason to enable it.

    In your case, you need it enabled for your internal network. You
    should not configure your ZoneAlarm and Linksys to allow these ports
    (TCP ports 135-139) through, and you should make sure you use proper
    security on your network to prevent access should someone sneak in.

    Jeff

+ Reply to Thread