PDC will not communicate with a BDC - Windows NT

This is a discussion on PDC will not communicate with a BDC - Windows NT ; I'm trying to get a BDC on a Windows NT network and when I get to the stage during installation where I have to enter the domain I want the system to join I enter the correct domain and choose ...

  1. PDC will not communicate with a BDC

    I'm trying to get a BDC on a Windows NT network and when I get to the stage
    during installation where I have to enter the domain I want the system to
    join I enter the correct domain and choose next. It returns with cannot find
    PDC (or something to that effect). cables are fine and the network cards are
    definately working on both machines. Does anyone have any idea why this is?

    Thanks
    Danny

  2. Re: PDC will not communicate with a BDC

    Have you put the IP of the PDC in the gateway of the TCP/IP-settings of the
    BDC-nic?

    Marina

    "charp" schreef in bericht
    > I'm trying to get a BDC on a Windows NT network and when I get to the

    stage
    > during installation where I have to enter the domain I want the system to
    > join I enter the correct domain and choose next. It returns with cannot

    find
    > PDC (or something to that effect). cables are fine and the network cards

    are
    > definately working on both machines. Does anyone have any idea why this

    is?

    > Thanks
    > Danny

  3. Re: PDC will not communicate with a BDC

    Yes.

    "Marina Roos" wrote in message
    newsu00b.89730$506.87055@typhoon.bart.nl...
    > Have you put the IP of the PDC in the gateway of the TCP/IP-settings of

    the
    > BDC-nic?
    >
    > Marina
    >
    > "charp" schreef in bericht
    > > I'm trying to get a BDC on a Windows NT network and when I get to the

    > stage
    > > during installation where I have to enter the domain I want the system

    > > join I enter the correct domain and choose next. It returns with cannot

    > find
    > > PDC (or something to that effect). cables are fine and the network cards

    > are
    > > definately working on both machines. Does anyone have any idea why this

    > is?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Danny

  4. Re: PDC will not communicate with a BDC

    I'm not sure if you can do this while setting up, but could you open up a
    commandbox and try to ping the server-IP?

    Marina

    "charp" schreef in bericht
    > Yes.
    >
    > "Marina Roos" wrote in message
    > newsu00b.89730$506.87055@typhoon.bart.nl...
    > > Have you put the IP of the PDC in the gateway of the TCP/IP-settings of

    > the
    > > BDC-nic?
    > >
    > > Marina
    > >
    > > "charp" schreef in bericht
    > > > I'm trying to get a BDC on a Windows NT network and when I get to the

    > > stage
    > > > during installation where I have to enter the domain I want the system

    > > > join I enter the correct domain and choose next. It returns with

    cannot
    > > find
    > > > PDC (or something to that effect). cables are fine and the network

    cards
    > > are
    > > > definately working on both machines. Does anyone have any idea why

    this
    > > is?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Danny

  5. Re: PDC will not communicate with a BDC

    "charp" wrote in message
    > Yes.

    Why would you do this unless the PDC was configured as a router? This is not
    the answer: more likely is that you need something like a WINS proxy on the
    BDC's subnet.

    > "Marina Roos" wrote in message
    > newsu00b.89730$506.87055@typhoon.bart.nl...
    > > Have you put the IP of the PDC in the gateway of the TCP/IP-settings of

    > the
    > > BDC-nic?
    > >
    > > Marina
    > >
    > > "charp" schreef in bericht
    > > > I'm trying to get a BDC on a Windows NT network and when I get to the

    > > stage
    > > > during installation where I have to enter the domain I want the system

    > > > join I enter the correct domain and choose next. It returns with

    cannot
    > > find
    > > > PDC (or something to that effect). cables are fine and the network

    cards
    > > are
    > > > definately working on both machines. Does anyone have any idea why

    this
    > > is?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Danny

    FR
    --
    "Erm, I think we're losing sight of the real issue here, which is 'What are
    we gonna call ourselves?' Erm, and I think it comes down to a choice between

  6. Re: PDC will not communicate with a BDC

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:20:15 +0000 (UTC), "charp"
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to get a BDC on a Windows NT network and when I get to the stage
    >during installation where I have to enter the domain I want the system to
    >join I enter the correct domain and choose next. It returns with cannot find
    >PDC (or something to that effect). cables are fine and the network cards are
    >definately working on both machines. Does anyone have any idea why this is?

    Two potential issues here. One is that the BDC can't find/identify
    the PDC. Use an LMHOSTS file with the OM switch for the PDC.

    Second is that many newer NIC's don't work correctly until SP4, and if
    you're installing with a non-SP or SP1 NT CD, you can't get a network
    connection until you install the service pack, and you can't install
    the service pack until you complete setup, and you can't complete the
    setup until you can connect to the PDC.

    For that, slipstreaming the service pack to an install CD usually
    works.

    Jeff

  7. Re: PDC will not communicate with a BDC

    I must agree with Fester.
    The default gateway is only used to forward your packaegs to another network
    (or subnet).
    I've seen the problem on clients (win2000 worskation) that can't get into
    the NT-domain. This is always the same problem --> no wins or dns entered
    for the network.

    Greetz,

    Jan.

    news:3f415b96$0$15036$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com ...