XP Login - Sloooow - Windows NT

This is a discussion on XP Login - Sloooow - Windows NT ; Greetings, I have a Dell machine that came with Windows XP Home. Purchased XP Professional from Dell and updated the machine. This machine is a client in a small active directory. Here's the problem. When you log in and the ...

  1. XP Login - Sloooow

    Greetings,
    I have a Dell machine that came with Windows XP Home. Purchased XP
    Professional
    from Dell and updated the machine.

    This machine is a client in a small active directory.

    Here's the problem.

    When you log in and the box pops up about applying personal settings
    it takes a long time (5 minutes ?). The settings file is local, not on
    the network. Once it finishes, everything is OK.

    What is taking it so long ? Is there a service pack and do I need to
    install it ?

    thanks,
    Darryl

  2. Re: XP Login - Sloooow

    Put the nic on anything but autosense. Make sure that the ipconfig/all shows
    that everything is pointing to your server-IP. There are indeed servicepacks
    and hotfixes you need to install. Go to Windows Update.

    Marina

    "Darryl" schreef in bericht
    > Greetings,
    > I have a Dell machine that came with Windows XP Home. Purchased XP
    > Professional
    > from Dell and updated the machine.
    >
    > This machine is a client in a small active directory.
    >
    > Here's the problem.
    >
    > When you log in and the box pops up about applying personal settings
    > it takes a long time (5 minutes ?). The settings file is local, not on
    > the network. Once it finishes, everything is OK.
    >
    > What is taking it so long ? Is there a service pack and do I need to
    > install it ?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Darryl

  3. Re: XP Login - Sloooow

    Well,
    this network uses a hub not a switch (not my choice. I have explained till
    I'm blue in the
    face. And I've also shown that it costs not much at all to use a switch).

    I previously had set the nic from autosense to 10Mb half-duplex (due to hub
    not switch).
    It helped some. But he problem remains. I am not using roaming profiles
    (best as I can tell),
    and the destop is pretty vanilla.

    thanks for help so far.

    -Darryl

    wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:21:37 GMT, "Marina Roos"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Put the nic on anything but autosense.

    > There's a bit of advice guaranteed to cause problems. If you think
    > autonegotiation is not working properly, set both ends manually to the
    > same config.
    >
    > If you can only set one end, you MUST set it to half-duplex, otherwise
    > you WILL get a duplex mismatch. This is because if a switch or nic
    > sees the other end not negotiating, it is required to assume that it
    > does not support full dupex.
    >

    > >Make sure that the ipconfig/all shows
    > >that everything is pointing to your server-IP. There are indeed

    servicepacks
    > >and hotfixes you need to install. Go to Windows Update.

    > Have you considered that perhaps the profile is simply huge? I have
    > users with roaming profiles that put 500-meg files on their desktop
    > and then wonder why it takes forever to login.
    >
    > -Chris
    >

    > >Marina
    > >
    > >"Darryl" schreef in bericht
    > >> Greetings,
    > >> I have a Dell machine that came with Windows XP Home. Purchased XP
    > >> Professional
    > >> from Dell and updated the machine.
    > >>
    > >> This machine is a client in a small active directory.
    > >>
    > >> Here's the problem.
    > >>
    > >> When you log in and the box pops up about applying personal settings
    > >> it takes a long time (5 minutes ?). The settings file is local, not on
    > >> the network. Once it finishes, everything is OK.
    > >>
    > >> What is taking it so long ? Is there a service pack and do I need to
    > >> install it ?
    > >>
    > >> thanks,
    > >> Darryl

  4. Re: XP Login - Sloooow

    The hub doesn't support 100Mb?
    What does a ipconfig/all show? What OS on the server and is DNS installed?

    Marina

    "Darryl" schreef in bericht
    > Well,
    > this network uses a hub not a switch (not my choice. I have explained

    till
    > I'm blue in the
    > face. And I've also shown that it costs not much at all to use a switch).
    >
    > I previously had set the nic from autosense to 10Mb half-duplex (due to

    hub
    > not switch).
    > It helped some. But he problem remains. I am not using roaming profiles
    > (best as I can tell),
    > and the destop is pretty vanilla.
    >
    > thanks for help so far.
    >
    > -Darryl
    >
    > wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:21:37 GMT, "Marina Roos"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Put the nic on anything but autosense.

    > > There's a bit of advice guaranteed to cause problems. If you think
    > > autonegotiation is not working properly, set both ends manually to the
    > > same config.
    > >
    > > If you can only set one end, you MUST set it to half-duplex, otherwise
    > > you WILL get a duplex mismatch. This is because if a switch or nic
    > > sees the other end not negotiating, it is required to assume that it
    > > does not support full dupex.
    > >

    > > >Make sure that the ipconfig/all shows
    > > >that everything is pointing to your server-IP. There are indeed

    > servicepacks
    > > >and hotfixes you need to install. Go to Windows Update.

    > > Have you considered that perhaps the profile is simply huge? I have
    > > users with roaming profiles that put 500-meg files on their desktop
    > > and then wonder why it takes forever to login.
    > >
    > > -Chris
    > >

    > > >Marina
    > > >
    > > >"Darryl" schreef in bericht

    on

  5. Re: XP Login - Sloooow

    "Marina Roos" wrote in message
    > The hub doesn't support 100Mb?
    > What does a ipconfig/all show? What OS on the server and is DNS installed?
    >
    > Marina
    >
    > "Darryl" schreef in bericht
    > > Well,
    > > this network uses a hub not a switch (not my choice. I have explained

    > till
    > > I'm blue in the
    > > face. And I've also shown that it costs not much at all to use a

    switch).

    > > I previously had set the nic from autosense to 10Mb half-duplex (due to

    > hub
    > > not switch).
    > > It helped some. But he problem remains. I am not using roaming

    profiles
    > > (best as I can tell),
    > > and the destop is pretty vanilla.
    > >
    > > thanks for help so far.
    > >
    > > -Darryl
    > >
    > > wrote in message

    > > > There's a bit of advice guaranteed to cause problems. If you think
    > > > autonegotiation is not working properly, set both ends manually to the
    > > > same config.
    > > >
    > > > If you can only set one end, you MUST set it to half-duplex, otherwise
    > > > you WILL get a duplex mismatch. This is because if a switch or nic
    > > > sees the other end not negotiating, it is required to assume that it
    > > > does not support full dupex.

    > > servicepacks
    > > >

    > > > Have you considered that perhaps the profile is simply huge? I have
    > > > users with roaming profiles that put 500-meg files on their desktop
    > > > and then wonder why it takes forever to login.
    > > >
    > > > -Chris

    settings

    not
    > on

    My bad. It is set to 100Mb Half-Duplex. I'll have to check the ipconfig
    /all when
    I get off work tonight. The server is running Windows 2000 Server and DNS
    is NOT installed.

    thanks,
    Darryl

  6. Re: XP Login - Sloooow

    Install DNS. XP relies on it a lot.

    Marina

    "Darryl" schreef in bericht

    > "Marina Roos" wrote in message
    > > The hub doesn't support 100Mb?
    > > What does a ipconfig/all show? What OS on the server and is DNS

    installed?

    > > Marina
    > >
    > > "Darryl" schreef in bericht
    > > > Well,
    > > > this network uses a hub not a switch (not my choice. I have explained

    > > till
    > > > I'm blue in the
    > > > face. And I've also shown that it costs not much at all to use a

    > switch).
    > > >
    > > > I previously had set the nic from autosense to 10Mb half-duplex (due

    > > hub
    > > > not switch).
    > > > It helped some. But he problem remains. I am not using roaming

    > profiles
    > > > (best as I can tell),
    > > > and the destop is pretty vanilla.
    > > >
    > > > thanks for help so far.
    > > >
    > > > -Darryl
    > > >
    > > > wrote in message

    the

    otherwise

    > > > servicepacks

    XP

    > settings

    > not
    > > on

    need

    > My bad. It is set to 100Mb Half-Duplex. I'll have to check the ipconfig
    > /all when
    > I get off work tonight. The server is running Windows 2000 Server and DNS
    > is NOT installed.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Darryl

+ Reply to Thread