Why can't I ping? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Why can't I ping? - Windows NT ; Got a small 6 server NT domain with couple 2000 servers. One PDC, no BDCs. Needed to install new shelving, so i unhooked all cables, labelled all cat5 cables, put in shelving and hooked up all servers and cabling. All ...

  1. Why can't I ping?

    Got a small 6 server NT domain with couple 2000 servers. One PDC, no
    BDCs. Needed to install new shelving, so i unhooked all cables,
    labelled all cat5 cables, put in shelving and hooked up all servers
    and cabling.

    All servers powered up, but none will see each other. Can't ping any.
    Servers are all in same subnet with static IPs. Pinged 127.0.0.1
    successfully. I did not change any configs. Checked all cabling and
    all looks fine. My switch is quite unhappy, though with frequent
    collisions. I have cycled the switch and re-booted the PDC and then
    rebooted other servers. Still no luck.

    Help.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. Re: Why can't I ping?

    - Get a cross-over cable and connect two servers
    directly. Can they ping each other? If no, do this:
    * Turn off your firewall.
    * Set both adapters to 10 MBits/s half duplex
    * Very carefully check their IP addresses and
    subnet masks.
    - When you have two servers that talk to each
    other, connect them to your switch. Do they
    still talk? If not, replace the switch.
    - Add one server at a time and keep testing
    your connectivity.
    - When everything is back to normal, restore your
    previous network speed / duplex setting, and your
    firewall.

    "Brian" wrote in message
    news:f0ae928e.0307041143.43a683de@posting.google.c om...
    > Got a small 6 server NT domain with couple 2000 servers. One PDC, no
    > BDCs. Needed to install new shelving, so i unhooked all cables,
    > labelled all cat5 cables, put in shelving and hooked up all servers
    > and cabling.
    >
    > All servers powered up, but none will see each other. Can't ping any.
    > Servers are all in same subnet with static IPs. Pinged 127.0.0.1
    > successfully. I did not change any configs. Checked all cabling and
    > all looks fine. My switch is quite unhappy, though with frequent
    > collisions. I have cycled the switch and re-booted the PDC and then
    > rebooted other servers. Still no luck.
    >
    > Help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian

  3. Re: Why can't I ping?

    Thanks for the suggestion. Along my same thinking. I'm on my way into
    the office right now and will let you know.
    Brian
    "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news:...
    > - Get a cross-over cable and connect two servers
    > directly. Can they ping each other? If no, do this:
    > * Turn off your firewall.
    > * Set both adapters to 10 MBits/s half duplex
    > * Very carefully check their IP addresses and
    > subnet masks.
    > - When you have two servers that talk to each
    > other, connect them to your switch. Do they
    > still talk? If not, replace the switch.
    > - Add one server at a time and keep testing
    > your connectivity.
    > - When everything is back to normal, restore your
    > previous network speed / duplex setting, and your
    > firewall.
    >

    > "Brian" wrote in message
    > news:f0ae928e.0307041143.43a683de@posting.google.c om...
    > > Got a small 6 server NT domain with couple 2000 servers. One PDC, no
    > > BDCs. Needed to install new shelving, so i unhooked all cables,
    > > labelled all cat5 cables, put in shelving and hooked up all servers
    > > and cabling.
    > >
    > > All servers powered up, but none will see each other. Can't ping any.
    > > Servers are all in same subnet with static IPs. Pinged 127.0.0.1
    > > successfully. I did not change any configs. Checked all cabling and
    > > all looks fine. My switch is quite unhappy, though with frequent
    > > collisions. I have cycled the switch and re-booted the PDC and then
    > > rebooted other servers. Still no luck.
    > >
    > > Help.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Brian