sharing cabling for 2 networks - Windows NT

This is a discussion on sharing cabling for 2 networks - Windows NT ; I've supported a small firm for a number of years, running NT4.0 Server and giving them internet connectivity through a shared DSL router. They've now sublet some of their suite to another firm and this second firm wants to set ...

  1. sharing cabling for 2 networks

    I've supported a small firm for a number of years, running NT4.0 Server and
    giving them internet connectivity through a shared DSL router. They've now
    sublet some of their suite to another firm and this second firm wants to set
    up their own network. They don't want to share anything, because of a legal
    need to have everything separate. Thus no shared server with the original
    firm, no shared printers, no shared internet connection. Can I set up a
    second domain on the same system of network cables? Thus the tenant would be
    NewDomain, the original firm OldDomain. Neither firm should be able to see
    the others resources. Each would have their own (different) ISP. In fact,
    NewDomain is purchasing a fractional T1 whereas OldDomain is staying with
    their longtime DSL connection. Or am I smarter to do a physical separation
    of the two networks, adding a second small switch for NewDomain. There will
    be two servers. Are there other issues I need to address? Like a firewall.
    OldDomain has a 3com hardware firewall operating but that won't do NewDomain
    any good, will it, since they're open to the net via different ISPs.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    ---

  2. Re: sharing cabling for 2 networks

    "Milo" wrote in message
    > I've supported a small firm for a number of years, running NT4.0 Server

    and
    > giving them internet connectivity through a shared DSL router. They've now
    > sublet some of their suite to another firm and this second firm wants to

    set
    > up their own network. They don't want to share anything, because of a

    legal
    > need to have everything separate. Thus no shared server with the original
    > firm, no shared printers, no shared internet connection. Can I set up a
    > second domain on the same system of network cables? Thus the tenant would

    be
    > NewDomain, the original firm OldDomain. Neither firm should be able to see
    > the others resources. Each would have their own (different) ISP. In fact,
    > NewDomain is purchasing a fractional T1 whereas OldDomain is staying with
    > their longtime DSL connection. Or am I smarter to do a physical separation
    > of the two networks, adding a second small switch for NewDomain. There

    will
    > be two servers. Are there other issues I need to address? Like a firewall.
    > OldDomain has a 3com hardware firewall operating but that won't do

    NewDomain
    > any good, will it, since they're open to the net via different ISPs.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions.

    No need to run any new wiring or even new patch panels but If I were you I'd
    add in a new switch and separate the two networks. It's a very cheap
    solution to what could turn into a very expensive network to manage other
    wise.

    Dump all company A's runs into switch A and all company B's runs into switch
    B. Once done there is now worry about one network seeing the other.

    Now if the current switch is managed then you may be able to do it right in
    the switch and avoid buying new hardware.

    If you choose to use the same network equipment just make sure both networks
    are on different IP subnets.

    --

    Rob

  3. Re: sharing cabling for 2 networks

    I would just put a second switch in which is dedicated to the new tenant
    (IMHO...see disclaimer below).

    --
    (DISCLAIMER: The preceding message reflects the opinion of only 1 out of
    billions of Internet and Newsgroup users. It does not reflect the opinions