Help, Please - NAT32/NDIS3PKT works but internal IP no longer works - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Help, Please - NAT32/NDIS3PKT works but internal IP no longer works - Windows NT ; I'm hoping someone can help me with this: or at least direct me to the right group. I am having trouble with NAT32e (trial version) and / or NDIS3PKT... I can't confirm which. Here's the situation I have a home ...

  1. Help, Please - NAT32/NDIS3PKT works but internal IP no longer works

    I'm hoping someone can help me with this: or at least direct me to the
    right group.
    I am having trouble with NAT32e (trial version) and / or NDIS3PKT... I
    can't confirm which.

    Here's the situation
    I have a home network shown roughly as below (need fixed font for viewing)
    +----------------+
    | | ---------------------
    | home pc 2 | | router |
    | (WIN XP) |-----| 192.168.1.1 |----> other home PCs
    | 192.168.1.129 | | (static IP) |
    | (DHCP Client) | | not a dhcp server |
    | | ---------------------
    +----------------+ |

    +----------------------+
    | |
    | home pc 1 | internal adsl
    | (Win NT SP6) |---------------> to internet
    | MS-TCP 192.168.1.128 | modem
    | |
    | ndis3pkt driver |
    | (NAT32 DHCP Server) |
    | 192.168.1.100 |
    | |
    +----------------------+

    Now:
    * ADSL connects JUST FINE to internet (DHCP address is assigned by ISP).
    * HOME PC 1 can connect JUST FINE through ADSL to internet
    * NAT32 is enabled on HOME PC 1
    * HOME PC 1 is configured as a NAT32 DHCP server
    * HOME PC 2 *correctly* is assigned an IP configuration
    * HOME PC 2 (and others) can connect JUST FINE to the internet
    (with NAT32 as the "gateway")
    * External DNS servers are accessible and work JUST FINE for all PCs

    Problem:
    * I CANNOT PING from 192.168.1.100 (NAT32 console) to the internal IP
    of HOME PC 1
    * Home PC 2 CANNOT PING to the internal IP of HOME PC 1
    * HOME PC 1 CANNOT PING the router (192.168.1.1)
    * Before NAT32 and NDIS3PKT were installed, all PCs could "see" each other

    What I've tried
    - I have tried more combinations of playing with ROUTE ADD / than I can
    enumerate.
    - I have tried enabling, disabling IP forwarding in the MS TCPIP stack.
    - I can reliably uninstall, unconfigure NAT32, reinstall and (re)configure
    it, change the subnet IP, etc etc etc and get everything to work EXCEPT
    being able to ping the ip address (Microsoft TCP-IP).
    - I can un-install NDIS3PKT and have it all work again (except now NAT32
    fails).

    At this point I am flummoxed. I'd buy NAT32 if I could just get past this
    last hurdle - it seems that NDIS3PKT may be the culprit. Or maybe I just
    don't know how to configure NDISP3PKT.

    Can anyone offer some advice?
    Thanks,
    Dave Grantier

    Work your way around the outside of the text box below if you want to
    contact me via email.

    eb@reitnarge Everything should be made as simple as possible,
    lotia@one.mv but not one bit simpler.
    lsouth.netda -- Albert Einstein

  2. Re: Help, Please - NAT32/NDIS3PKT works but internal IP no longer works

    Try posting at http://www.nat32.com/cgi/index.htm.

    Have you tried replacing the router with a simple switch? You may be
    complicating the network by using a router, thus causing the problem. Just a
    wild guess though, I've never used a router.

    "Dave Grantier" wrote in message
> [...]
    > - I have tried more combinations of playing with ROUTE ADD / than I can
    > enumerate.
    > - I have tried enabling, disabling IP forwarding in the MS TCPIP stack.
    > - I can reliably uninstall, unconfigure NAT32, reinstall and (re)configure
    > it, change the subnet IP, etc etc etc and get everything to work EXCEPT
    > being able to ping the ip address (Microsoft TCP-IP).
    > - I can un-install NDIS3PKT and have it all work again (except now NAT32
    > fails).
    >
    > At this point I am flummoxed. I'd buy NAT32 if I could just get past this
    > last hurdle - it seems that NDIS3PKT may be the culprit. Or maybe I just
    > don't know how to configure NDISP3PKT.
    >
    > Can anyone offer some advice?
    > Thanks,
    > Dave Grantier
    >
    > Work your way around the outside of the text box below if you want to

  3. Re: Help, Please - NAT32/NDIS3PKT works but internal IP no longer works

    "EJ" wrote in

    > Try posting at http://www.nat32.com/cgi/index.htm.
    >

    > Have you tried replacing the router with a simple switch? You may be
    > complicating the network by using a router, thus causing the problem.
    > Just a wild guess though, I've never used a router.

    [snip]

    Thanks. I did post my question over on the NAT32 message boards. I Have not
    tried that. However, I'm responding to this post from a machine which
    passes packets *through* the router and on to the NAT32 gateway. The
    router is pretty much functioning as a switch-only at this point anyway, so
    I don't think that's the problem.

    There's something "going on" with either NAT or NDIS3PKT.
    on Home PC 1:
    Nat installed: 192.168.1.100
    Local NIC (Microsoft TCPIP): 192.168.1.128

    just to summarize:
    From a windows DOS box I can't ping 196.168.1.100 (or anything else on the
    network).
    From the NAT32 console, I can't ping 192.168.1.128. I *can* however see
    *everything else* on the network via the NAT gateway address.

    --
    ten.htuoslle It often requires more courage to dare to
    dccoftmoooob do right than to fear to do wrong.

  4. Re: Help, Please - NAT32/NDIS3PKT works but internal IP no longer works

    When you said "Before NAT32 and NDIS3PKT were installed, all PCs could "see"
    each other", I assumed that now no PCs could see eachother, thus I suspected
    the router complicating things. But tell me if I've got it straight now:

    Home PC 2 and the "other" home PCs can all see still see each other and ping
    each other as well as the router.
    So the only problem is "seeing" and pinging between Home PC 1 and all other
    PCs, the router, and "itself" in some cases?

    The only thing that's still not clear is what you meant by:
    I *can* however see *everything else* on the network via the NAT gateway
    address.

  5. Re: Help, Please - NAT32/NDIS3PKT works but internal IP no longer works

    "EJ" wrote in

    > When you said "Before NAT32 and NDIS3PKT were installed, all PCs could
    > "see" each other", I assumed that now no PCs could see eachother, thus
    > I suspected the router complicating things. But tell me if I've got it
    > straight now:
    >
    > Home PC 2 and the "other" home PCs can all see still see each other
    > and ping each other as well as the router.
    > So the only problem is "seeing" and pinging between Home PC 1 and all
    > other PCs, the router, and "itself" in some cases?
    >
    > The only thing that's still not clear is what you meant by:
    > I *can* however see *everything else* on the network via the NAT
    > gateway address.

    Hi EJ, Thanks for taking the time - I can see where this could get
    confusing.

    Home PC 2 *can* ping Home PC 1 at 192.168.1.100 (this is the network
    adaptor owned by NDIS3PKT / NAT32 - not entirely sure which) NAT32 comes
    up as a DHCP server and acts as the gateway to the internet - all other
    home PCs can use this gateway and "see" the internet with no problem.

    I'm having trouble getting from HOME PC 2 to HOME PC 1 via the
    192.168.1.129 address (this is the internal address assigned to the NIC
    in the Network TCPIP Properties panel). This means I can't share drives,
    use Remote Admin, etc. etc. In fact, from a CMD box (.1.129) on HOME PC
    1, I can't even ping the NAT gateway address (.1.100) - I guess this is
    pinging from one network stack to another on the same box.

    I hope this helps. (And I hope you or someone can steer me towards the
    "A HA!!!" moment so I can fix this.)

    Thanks,
    Dave

    --
    tnargevadte A Hospital is no place to be sick.
    i@.ahm-aotn -- Samuel Goldwyn

  6. Re: Help, Please - NAT32/NDIS3PKT works but internal IP no longer works

    Hmmm, I just remembered that when I was using NAT32+ (that was a couple
    years ago), I set the Winroute IP address to be the same as the internal
    NIC's IP address (because I assumed the internal NIC's address would be
    changed if I accepted the default, and I didn't want that), and everything
    worked fine. My NIC's address was manually assigned, I understand yours is
    too.
    If this works, I suggest you get NAT32 support to confirm that it's a
    supported config before buying, as I suppose it could cause problems even
    though it worked for me.

    If this doesn't work for you, I'm guess I can't really help further since I
    have no experience with the default two-IP method. But perhaps you could get
    support's attention with a "I will buy if you can help with this" email?

    - EJ

+ Reply to Thread