WinNT 4 Client Connects to WinNT 4 Server, But Cannot Map Drives - Windows NT

This is a discussion on WinNT 4 Client Connects to WinNT 4 Server, But Cannot Map Drives - Windows NT ; I have finally managed to get all the right settings to get RAS running on a WinNT server. I have enabled TCP/IP bindings to the RAS and PPTP and am able to connect to the network internally on a Win2000 ...

  1. WinNT 4 Client Connects to WinNT 4 Server, But Cannot Map Drives

    I have finally managed to get all the right settings to get RAS running on a
    WinNT server. I have enabled TCP/IP bindings to the RAS and PPTP and am
    able to connect to the network internally on a Win2000 machine and map
    drives, etc. I have managed to setup a remote WinNT client with DUN, PPTP,
    etc. and it will actually connect with the server and show it enabled, but I
    cannot map any drives within the remote LAN.

    Is there an issue similar to Win98 where I have to be logged in to the
    remote computer with the same user name and password as I would use to
    authenticate to the network. The dial-up connection seems to be taking care
    of the authentication, so I'm not sure why I am able to connect, but not map
    any drives.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

    --
    Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly

  2. Re: WinNT 4 Client Connects to WinNT 4 Server, But Cannot Map Drives

    In news:nPtKa.13069$XR4.10298@fe03.atl2.webusenet.com ,
    Karl Burrows wrote:
    > I have finally managed to get all the right settings to get RAS
    > running on a WinNT server. I have enabled TCP/IP bindings to the RAS
    > and PPTP and am able to connect to the network internally on a
    > Win2000 machine and map drives, etc. I have managed to setup a
    > remote WinNT client with DUN, PPTP, etc. and it will actually connect
    > with the server and show it enabled, but I cannot map any drives
    > within the remote LAN.
    >
    > Is there an issue similar to Win98 where I have to be logged in to the
    > remote computer with the same user name and password as I would use to
    > authenticate to the network. The dial-up connection seems to be
    > taking care of the authentication, so I'm not sure why I am able to
    > connect, but not map any drives.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    >
    > --
    > Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly

    Do you have WINS running on your server, and do you have the remote client
    set to use WINS? When you connect over a RAS link, it acts to segment your
    network, and you need WINS to resolve NetBIOS names for drive mapping.

    One way to test this is to use an lmhosts file on the remote computer. Set
    it up so that it resolves the IP of one of your networked computers to IP
    address. Then have the remote client log on and see if it can then map a
    drive to that computer. If so, then you need to install WINS on the server
    and set the client to use it.

    --

    Frank GoBell

  3. Re: WinNT 4 Client Connects to WinNT 4 Server, But Cannot Map Drives

    Thanks for the reply Frank!

    I have setup WINS on the server. That was one of things I had to configure
    when I was looking into the VPN on the NT server. I was able to connect
    internally from a Win2000 machine (using the local server IP address) with
    no problem once I turned off IPSec on the 2000 client (which doesn't run on
    NT, so that shouldn't be a problem). I am having several issues with client
    connections on this server. I have inherited it from a previous "IT" person
    that did things like assign a public IP addressing scheme to the network,
    setup a subnet of 255.255.255.240, so they could add machines because the
    network was maxed at 13 and just a bunch of other stuff that I am still
    working through!

    So, on the client, I would add the WINS address to the dial up connection
    TCP/IP settings, the networking TCP/IP settings or the lmhosts file or a
    combination of these? I have another NT server I setup a few weeks ago that
    runs WINS and didn't need the WINS settings on remote connections (or is
    this something that applies only to NT clients).

    You know, you think this should be easy and straightforward, but each O/S
    has it own quirks!

    Thanks for the help!!!

    Karl Burrows wrote:
    > I have finally managed to get all the right settings to get RAS
    > running on a WinNT server. I have enabled TCP/IP bindings to the RAS
    > and PPTP and am able to connect to the network internally on a
    > Win2000 machine and map drives, etc. I have managed to setup a
    > remote WinNT client with DUN, PPTP, etc. and it will actually connect
    > with the server and show it enabled, but I cannot map any drives
    > within the remote LAN.
    >
    > Is there an issue similar to Win98 where I have to be logged in to the
    > remote computer with the same user name and password as I would use to
    > authenticate to the network. The dial-up connection seems to be
    > taking care of the authentication, so I'm not sure why I am able to
    > connect, but not map any drives.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    >
    > --
    > Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly

    Do you have WINS running on your server, and do you have the remote client
    set to use WINS? When you connect over a RAS link, it acts to segment your
    network, and you need WINS to resolve NetBIOS names for drive mapping.

    One way to test this is to use an lmhosts file on the remote computer. Set
    it up so that it resolves the IP of one of your networked computers to IP
    address. Then have the remote client log on and see if it can then map a
    drive to that computer. If so, then you need to install WINS on the server
    and set the client to use it.

    --

    Frank GoBell

  4. Re: WinNT 4 Client Connects to WinNT 4 Server, But Cannot Map Drives

    I have the RAS setup that way for full access. I just setup another WinNT
    RAS and didn't have to use the same local login and password as the VPN
    login, so that wouldn't be the issue for this. I think it only applies to
    Win98 machines since they don't have PPTP by default and the local client
    authentication resolves RAS authentication.

    "Marina Roos" wrote in message
    Yep, on the remote computer you need to use the same username, password and
    domain to be able to use the LAN. Also in the TCP/IP properties of the
    RAS-configuration you need to enable the remote user to use the whole
    network.

    Marina

    "Karl Burrows" schreef in bericht
    news:nPtKa.13069$XR4.10298@fe03.atl2.webusenet.com ...
    > I have finally managed to get all the right settings to get RAS running on

    > WinNT server. I have enabled TCP/IP bindings to the RAS and PPTP and am
    > able to connect to the network internally on a Win2000 machine and map
    > drives, etc. I have managed to setup a remote WinNT client with DUN,

    PPTP,
    > etc. and it will actually connect with the server and show it enabled, but

    > cannot map any drives within the remote LAN.
    >
    > Is there an issue similar to Win98 where I have to be logged in to the
    > remote computer with the same user name and password as I would use to
    > authenticate to the network. The dial-up connection seems to be taking

    care
    > of the authentication, so I'm not sure why I am able to connect, but not

    map
    > any drives.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    >
    > --
    > Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly

  5. Re: WinNT 4 Client Connects to WinNT 4 Server, But Cannot Map Drives

    Got WINS installed on the server?
    BTW login with VPN is different than login on RAS-dialup. The latter needs
    the RAS-client booted with an existing useraccount and domain.

    news:NAQKa.51697$uK1.27145@fe05.atl2.webusenet.com ...
    > I have the RAS setup that way for full access. I just setup another WinNT
    > RAS and didn't have to use the same local login and password as the VPN
    > login, so that wouldn't be the issue for this. I think it only applies to
    > Win98 machines since they don't have PPTP by default and the local client
    > authentication resolves RAS authentication.
    >
    > "Marina Roos" wrote in message
    > Yep, on the remote computer you need to use the same username, password

    and
    > domain to be able to use the LAN. Also in the TCP/IP properties of the
    > RAS-configuration you need to enable the remote user to use the whole
    > network.
    >
    > Marina
    >
    > "Karl Burrows" schreef in bericht
    > news:nPtKa.13069$XR4.10298@fe03.atl2.webusenet.com ...
    > > I have finally managed to get all the right settings to get RAS running

    on
    > > WinNT server. I have enabled TCP/IP bindings to the RAS and PPTP and am
    > > able to connect to the network internally on a Win2000 machine and map
    > > drives, etc. I have managed to setup a remote WinNT client with DUN,

    > PPTP,
    > > etc. and it will actually connect with the server and show it enabled,

    but
    > > cannot map any drives within the remote LAN.
    > >
    > > Is there an issue similar to Win98 where I have to be logged in to the
    > > remote computer with the same user name and password as I would use to
    > > authenticate to the network. The dial-up connection seems to be taking

    > care
    > > of the authentication, so I'm not sure why I am able to connect, but not

    > map
    > > any drives.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly

+ Reply to Thread