Re: DHCP addresses on different subnets and different floors - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: DHCP addresses on different subnets and different floors - Windows NT ; Assuming the 4 segments can talk to one another you would have to set up 4 scopes and perhaps depending on the MAC address of each specific computer on each floor you could delegate accordingly. I am unaware if you ...

  1. Re: DHCP addresses on different subnets and different floors

    Assuming the 4 segments can talk to one another you would have to set up 4
    scopes and perhaps depending on the MAC address of each specific computer on
    each floor you could delegate accordingly.

    I am unaware if you can set IP address with a computer name, I would think
    probably not considering they are on two different layers.

    Hope this helps, not sure if it will!

    "MR. Mr" wrote in message
    news:5ae83dff.0306230738.775284e2@posting.google.c om...
    > I have a large building with 4 floors. I want to assign a DHCP address
    > based on which floor the request comes from. There are Cisco switches
    > (6500 series) seperating the floors. We are using 192.168.1.0 -
    > 192.168.4.0 for ip address scheme. I do not want a dhcp server on
    > each floor. DHCP server is Windows 2000.
    > Thanks,

  2. Re: DHCP addresses on different subnets and different floors

    Do you have VLAN capabilities?

    Do your 6500s have routing modules or layer 2 ones?

    The 6500's support VMPS which you can map any VLAN to Mac address. This
    would allow any system to be moved and still be contained with the same
    vlan with any reconfiguring.

    Using VLAN's to seperate your subnets is probably something you should
    consider. Create 4 vlans and configure the interfaces on your internal
    router as such (make sure to include a dhcp helper address if required).
    If your 6500's have routing modules then you would perform configuration
    there.