Re: "Could not find domain controller for this domain" HELP, where to start? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: "Could not find domain controller for this domain" HELP, where to start? - Windows NT ; Thanks: Because if I take this approach I'll need to *TRY* to have the Server down for the shortest possible time, could you give me a brief outline on how to remove the TCP/IP stack and the associated services? Thanks ...

  1. Re: "Could not find domain controller for this domain" HELP, where to start?

    Thanks:

    Because if I take this approach I'll need to *TRY* to have the Server down
    for the shortest possible time, could you give me a brief outline on how to
    remove the TCP/IP stack and the associated services?

    Thanks again,
    Paul

    "- AJS" wrote in message
    > "PBS" wrote:
    > >NT4 Server
    > >
    > >I attempted to go to the "User Manager for Domains" and received the

    message
    > >"Could not find domain controller for this domain"
    > >
    > >I went to Control Panel / Services, and noticed several Services that are
    > >marked to start automatically were not started. I attempted to start

    each
    > >using the "START" button. In each case they failed, with a variety of
    > >messages, as follows:
    > >
    > >1. Could not start the COMPUTER BROWSER Service on \\servername
    > > Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    > >
    > >2. Could not start the MICROSOFT NETWORK Service on \\servername
    > > Error 0002: The system cannot find the file specified.
    > >
    > >3. Could not start the NET LOGON Service on \\servername
    > > Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    > >
    > >4. Could not start the REMOTE ADMINISTRATOR Service on \\servername
    > > Cannot Load Library ADMDLL.dll [OK] following clicking [OK]
    > > Error 2186: The service is not responding to the control function.
    > >
    > >5. Could not start the TCP/IP NetBIOS HANDLER Service on \\servername
    > > Error 0003: The system cannot find the path specified.
    > >
    > >Any guidance on where to begin is appreciated.

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > Just to state the obvious, that's a mess.
    >
    > 1st, make sure you have a complete backup of the server. Now make a

    second...
    > tapes fail, always at the worst times.
    >
    > Assuming a rebuild is out, here's what I would try next. Remove the TCP/IP
    > stack and the associated services, including those listed. Reboot. Now
    > reinstall TCP/IP. The services should be reinstalled and re-registered in

    the
    > process. Make sure to re-apply your service pack and all aplicable

    hotfixes, at
    > least up to your present level.
    >
    > If that fixes it, now you need to find out what caused the trouble... Was
    > anyone working on the machine lately? Any new applications? Any one using

    it to
    > browse the web.... You get the idea.
    >
    > Or, after backing up all the data and making copious notes, copy all the

    data
    > across the wire to a workstation with a big NTFS drive. Use SCopy and

    Permcopy
    > from the Resource Kit to keep Share, File and Folder ACLs intact. This

    way, you
    > have an easy-access, fast backup to restore from. Now, reinstall the

    machine.

    > Good luck.
    > - AJS

  2. Re: "Could not find domain controller for this domain" HELP, where to start?

+ Reply to Thread