My machine is hecking big server? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on My machine is hecking big server? - Windows NT ; my sys admin said my windows XP machine is attempting to login as ROOT super user to one of our high-profile UNIX server every day at 4am. I have no clue what the heck in my machine is doing that. ...

  1. My machine is hecking big server?

    my sys admin said my windows XP machine is attempting to login as ROOT
    super user to one of our high-profile UNIX server every day at 4am. I
    have no clue what the heck in my machine is doing that. I have
    Network Associate's antivirus and Microsoft AntiSpyware running on
    that machine. Both says my machine is clean. There is no job in my
    scheduler in control panel that fires up at 4am.

    What can i do to find out what is trying to login to our UNIX box as
    ROOT super user? Please help. Thank you in advance.

  2. Re: My machine is hecking big server?

    (1) Ask your sysadmin what port your machine is logging into.

    (2) Take that information, and run TCPView by SysInternals
    (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html) and leave it
    running, checking back around 4:00am or whenever it supposedly
    connects.

    (3) In TCPView, you'll want to find out which process is connecting to
    the server's port and address combination

    That's the approach I would take to best establish "where we are".

    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread