I would like to throttle large file transfers. - Windows NT

This is a discussion on I would like to throttle large file transfers. - Windows NT ; Does anyone have suggestions on how to throttle a file copy command? I've recently been tossing large multigigabyte files (backups and databases) around our small LAN. I've gotten a few complaints from people who receive various errors or slowdowns when ...

  1. I would like to throttle large file transfers.

    Does anyone have suggestions on how to throttle a file copy command?

    I've recently been tossing large multigigabyte files (backups and
    databases) around our small LAN. I've gotten a few complaints from
    people who receive various errors or slowdowns when I do this.
    Typically the files are streaming off the Server, so my best guess is
    that I am saturating the Server's network connection.

    Also, I've had occasions in the past where I've been moving big files
    around on my local workstation. The large disk I/O can sometimes
    prevent me from doing other work in the foreground. A speed-limited
    copy would be useful in these cases too.

    I'm imagining a simple (scriptable) command that would be called in a
    manner similar to:
    "copyslow /speed=5MBS c:\here\this.file.zip d:\there.file.zip"

    I've considered FTP, but it's rather inconvenient and not quite as
    flexible.

    Perceptus Solutions Inc.
    A little computer support and web firm. http://www.perceptus.ca

  2. Re: I would like to throttle large file transfers.

    Even with a multi-gig file copy, you shouldn't be saturating your server
    unless you are not on a switched network. If you are using Windows Explorer
    to perform the copy then I can understand why your CPU utilization can go up
    that much. Try doing a simple copy or xcopy command (or better yet robocopy
    if you have the windows resource kit) and see if performance improves.
    --
    Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
    SCRIPTMATION, INC.

    wrote in message
    news:1132128217.412164.226220@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Does anyone have suggestions on how to throttle a file copy command?
    >
    > I've recently been tossing large multigigabyte files (backups and
    > databases) around our small LAN. I've gotten a few complaints from
    > people who receive various errors or slowdowns when I do this.
    > Typically the files are streaming off the Server, so my best guess is
    > that I am saturating the Server's network connection.
    >
    > Also, I've had occasions in the past where I've been moving big files
    > around on my local workstation. The large disk I/O can sometimes
    > prevent me from doing other work in the foreground. A speed-limited
    > copy would be useful in these cases too.
    >
    > I'm imagining a simple (scriptable) command that would be called in a
    > manner similar to:
    > "copyslow /speed=5MBS c:\here\this.file.zip d:\there.file.zip"
    >
    > I've considered FTP, but it's rather inconvenient and not quite as
    > flexible.

    > Perceptus Solutions Inc.
    > A little computer support and web firm. http://www.perceptus.ca

+ Reply to Thread