Disaster Recovery Advice - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Disaster Recovery Advice - Windows NT ; Hi We run a small network for an office of 8 people with one server running Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. Although the hard disks are mirrored for some fault tolerance I'm a little worried about what happens if our ...

  1. Disaster Recovery Advice

    Hi

    We run a small network for an office of 8 people with one server
    running Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. Although the hard disks are
    mirrored for some fault tolerance I'm a little worried about what
    happens if our server dies and cannot be restarted. We currently
    backup all of our data to tape on a daily basis but if we had to
    recover from a complete failure we would need to build a new server
    from scratch and then restore the data before finally re connecting
    all the clients.

    Is there a better way to do this ? Ideally if the server fails I'd
    like to be able to get the office back up and running in the minimum
    time with the minimum data loss.

    Thanks for any help.

    Barny

  2. Re: Disaster Recovery Advice

    Barny,

    There are a host of approaches to this, and in the end your budget for
    this will likely determine what you go with.

    The most ambitious goal is to have totally redundant services; eg a
    second server with Win2K3 and Exchange licensed, patched, and
    configured as a domain controller. Obviously, this is not justifiable
    for smaller networks.

    Second to that, you can aim for fault tolerance on the workstation end.
    Run your Outlook 2003 in cached mode. Use your web host for their
    secondary MX services if your Exch runs as a front-end server, then
    configure a POP3/SMTP account in each OL client to use the ISP for
    outgoing e-mails and the web host for incoming. Just keep that account
    inactive in the Send/Receive part until your outage occurs. You could
    even plan an outage in order to test this. Instead of (or in addition
    to) backing up to tape, have a network computer whose storage capacity
    matches that of your existing file shares, and back up nightly to that
    instead.

    So, you could potentially survive an outage on the server with minimal
    impact to the end-users. If you have other services on the server, then
    you need to get more creative, but you get the idea. If you want to go
    over these in detail, feel free to contact me;
    justin@synergyassured.com

    Cheers.
    netjustin

+ Reply to Thread