"Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc - Windows NT

This is a discussion on "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc - Windows NT ; Hi, I have the following problem: rsh "Access is denied" - and I want to use the Win32-based version (rshsvc). My .rhosts file is located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" (OS is XP Pro SP 2). For testing my .rhosts file has only ...

  1. "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    Hi,

    I have the following problem:

    rsh "Access is denied" - and I want to use the Win32-based version (rshsvc).

    My .rhosts file is located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" (OS is XP
    Pro SP 2). For testing my .rhosts file has only an entry:
    + +
    I have executed the rshpswd command and entered my account password.

    When I execute:

    rsh cobra dir c:

    from the cobra pc I get "Access is denied".
    The file log "rshhistory" report, for example:

    HostName:192.168.0.2 RemoteUser:COBRA\Stefano LocalUser:Stefano Command:dir
    c: Status:Unauthorized User

    In the Stefano home directory I have put the .hosts file always with the
    entry:
    + +

    I have used also:
    cobra stefano

    but without success.

    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH!!!

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Best regards,
    Stefano

  2. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    Stefano Gragnani wrote...

    >I have the following problem:
    >
    >rsh "Access is denied" - and I want to use the Win32-based version (rshsvc).

    Where does rshsvc come from? XP Pro SP2 does not have such a beast.

    >My .rhosts file is located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" (OS is XP
    >Pro SP 2). For testing my .rhosts file has only an entry:
    >+ +
    >I have executed the rshpswd command and entered my account password.

    Why put a .rhost there?

    On *nix systems, .rhosts files are put, per user basis, on their home
    folders. On Windows, the equilvant would be
    C:\Documents and Settings\\

    And windows implementation of rshd's will read the allowed_users *not
    necessary* on C:\Documents and Settings\\.rhosts.

    So, read the documentation of your "Win32-based rshsvc" and see
    where the app will read the *allowed user list* from.

    BTW, rsh/rshd is outdated by ssh/sshd for many many years.
    Better search for ssh searver/client implementations.

    Good luck.

  3. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    'rshsvc' come from Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit.

    From the Windows 2000 SRK documentation:

    < directory>>

    I have put the .hosts file also in the home directories but I get the same
    'Access Denied'.

    thanks
    stefano

    "Harry" wrote in message
    > Stefano Gragnani wrote...
    >
    >>I have the following problem:
    >>
    >>rsh "Access is denied" - and I want to use the Win32-based version
    >>(rshsvc).

    > Where does rshsvc come from? XP Pro SP2 does not have such a beast.
    >
    >>My .rhosts file is located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" (OS is XP
    >>Pro SP 2). For testing my .rhosts file has only an entry:
    >>+ +
    >>I have executed the rshpswd command and entered my account password.

    > Why put a .rhost there?
    >
    > On *nix systems, .rhosts files are put, per user basis, on their home
    > folders. On Windows, the equilvant would be
    > C:\Documents and Settings\\
    >
    > And windows implementation of rshd's will read the allowed_users *not
    > necessary* on C:\Documents and Settings\\.rhosts.
    >
    > So, read the documentation of your "Win32-based rshsvc" and see
    > where the app will read the *allowed user list* from.
    >
    > BTW, rsh/rshd is outdated by ssh/sshd for many many years.
    > Better search for ssh searver/client implementations.
    >
    > Good luck.

  4. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    Stefano Gragnani wrote...

    >'rshsvc' come from Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit.
    >
    >From the Windows 2000 SRK documentation:
    >
    >< >directory>>
    >
    >I have put the .hosts file also in the home directories but I get the same
    >'Access Denied'.
    >
    >thanks
    >stefano

    I hope you used the correct filename, rhosts versus .rhosts, whatever it
    may be.

    The next thing to check is the event log, to see if you will get more
    information other than "Access Denied."

  5. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    Stefano Gragnani wrote...

    >'rshsvc' come from Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit.
    >
    >From the Windows 2000 SRK documentation:

    >>>My .rhosts file is located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" (OS is XP
    >>>Pro SP 2).

    So you have installed rshsvc from Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit
    onto XP Pro SP2. It might work, or might not, due to different OS'es.

    Hmmm.... is the rshsvc service running on your XP Pro SP2?

  6. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    Stefano Gragnani wrote...

    >'rshsvc' come from Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit.
    >
    >From the Windows 2000 SRK documentation:

    I don't have W2KS Resource Kit, but I have a copy of Microsoft Windows
    Services for Unix 3.5.

    Tried that on my XP Pro SP2, and I could go as far as execute an
    "invalid" command. Here is what I did.

    0. Install Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5
    - select the following components to be installed
    - Utilities
    - Interix GNU Components
    - Remote Connectivity
    - Windows Remote Shell Service <-- make sure to check this option
    1. from Start | Programs | Windows Services for Unix | Help for Services
    for Unix :
    - search for rshsvc
    - the help content says:
    // Security
    // You mush have an .rhosts file in the path specified in the
    registry entry
    // \HKLM\System\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rsh Svc\RhostsPath
    2. Run regedit, and browse to this registry key, it has the value
    RhostsPath C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    3. create the following file:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\.rhosts
    --
    + +
    --

    11/08/2003 02:16 AM 16,800 rshsvc.exe

    C:\SFU\common> rsh localhost -l admin cat c:\autoexec.bat
    Invalid User or Password

    C:\SFU\common> rshsvc.exe -stop
    Remote Shell Service: Service stopped

    C:\SFU\common> rshsvc.exe -start -p
    Remote Shell Service: Service started

    C:\SFU\common> rsh localhost -l admin cat c:\autoexec.bat
    Unable to execute the command

    C:\SFU\common>

  7. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    Stefano Gragnani wrote...

    >> C:\SFU\common> rshsvc.exe -stop
    >> Remote Shell Service: Service stopped
    >>=20
    >> C:\SFU\common> rshsvc.exe -start -p
    >> Remote Shell Service: Service started
    >>=20
    >> C:\SFU\common> rsh localhost -l admin cat c:\autoexec.bat
    >> Unable to execute the command

    Did you notice the -p option which I used to restart the rshsvc service?
    Type "rshsvc.exe /?" to check out this option.

    >However I have found a freware version of the rshd demon that accept the =
    >-r switch that ignore the .rhosts file.
    >Under that conditions all work fine (without the -r switch the service =
    >not install !!!)
    >But WHY rshsvc give to me 'ACCESS DENIED" !!!!!!!!!!

    I got past the "acces denied" error by invoking rshsvc.exe with the -p
    option. After that, still no fun.

    IMHO, rshsvc.exe is a handicapped toy not worth spending your time on.
    In fact, there may be freeware sshd (Secure Shell Daemon) much better
    than using rshd. The later is insecure. Check out cygwin implemenation
    of sshd instead.

  8. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    Stefano Gragnani wrote...

    >However I have found a freware version of the rshd demon

    I would recommend a freeware version of OpenSSH for Windows.

    http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

    Features
    - Windows NT Service Support
    - Full install about 5mb, installer under 3mb (Cygwin bloat has
    increased the size)
    - Windows Command Prompt support for SSH Terminal
    - SCP/SFTP server support
    - Command-line clients included

    Read the quickstart.txt after installation.

  9. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    > Did you notice the -p option which I used to restart the rshsvc service?
    > Type "rshsvc.exe /?" to check out this option.

    -p: Do not use passwords stored locally for users
    (Passwords for individual users
    can be stored by running the 'rshpswd' command)

    > I got past the "acces denied" error by invoking rshsvc.exe with the -p
    > option. After that, still no fun.

    I have removed rshsvc and:

    C:\SFU\common>rshsvc.exe -remove
    Remote Shell Service: Service Removed

    C:\SFU\common>rshsvc.exe -install
    Remote Shell Service: Service installed successfully

    C:\SFU\common>rshsvc.exe -start -p
    Remote Shell Service: Service started

    C:\SFU\common>rshpswd
    Enter your password:

    C:\SFU\common>rsh server-01 dir c:
    Access is denied

    or, if you prefers:

    C:\SFU\common>rsh server-01 -l Stefano dir c:\
    Access is denied

    C:\SFU\common>rsh localhost -l Stefano dir c:\
    Access is denied

    .... SIGH!!!

    > IMHO, rshsvc.exe is a handicapped toy not worth spending your time on.
    > In fact, there may be freeware sshd (Secure Shell Daemon) much better
    > than using rshd. The later is insecure. Check out cygwin implemenation
    > of sshd instead.

    OK! I know the security problem of rshd but I want understand why rshsvc
    give me 'Access Denied'.

    >I would recommend a freeware version of OpenSSH for Windows.

    http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

    I am going to the site now :-)

    Thanks
    Stefano

  10. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    Stefano Gragnani wrote...

    >> Did you notice the -p option which I used to restart the rshsvc service?
    >> Type "rshsvc.exe /?" to check out this option.

    > -p: Do not use passwords stored locally for users
    > (Passwords for individual users
    > can be stored by running the 'rshpswd' command)
    >
    >> I got past the "acces denied" error by invoking rshsvc.exe with the -p
    >> option. After that, still no fun.

    >I have removed rshsvc and:
    >
    >C:\SFU\common>rshsvc.exe -remove
    >Remote Shell Service: Service Removed
    >
    >C:\SFU\common>rshsvc.exe -install
    >Remote Shell Service: Service installed successfully
    >
    >C:\SFU\common>rshsvc.exe -start -p
    >Remote Shell Service: Service started
    >
    >C:\SFU\common>rshpswd
    >Enter your password:

    You don't need to run rshpswd. You are skipping password authentication.
    That is why you run "shsvc.exe -start -p".

    >C:\SFU\common>rsh server-01 dir c:
    >Access is denied

    One thing comes to mind is your wirewalls.

    Control Panel -> Security Center -> Windows Firewall ->
    Manage Security Setting for "Windows Firewall" -> Exception Tab ->
    [/] TCP/IP Remote Shell Command <-- make sure this option is enabled.

    If you have installed a 3rd party firewall, make sure you set it
    to allow the rshsrv port to go thru.

  11. Re: "Access is denied" with rsh / rshsvc

    > You don't need to run rshpswd. You are skipping password authentication.
    > That is why you run "shsvc.exe -start -p".

    .... obviously :-)

    > One thing comes to mind is your wirewalls.
    >
    > Control Panel -> Security Center -> Windows Firewall ->
    > Manage Security Setting for "Windows Firewall" -> Exception Tab ->
    > [/] TCP/IP Remote Shell Command <-- make sure this option is enabled.
    >
    > If you have installed a 3rd party firewall, make sure you set it
    > to allow the rshsrv port to go thru.

    Window XP firewall is disabled and I have not installed another firewall.

    Thanks
    Stefano

+ Reply to Thread