Duplicating a user account under Windows 2000? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Duplicating a user account under Windows 2000? - Windows NT ; Hi, I've recently upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional SP4 from Windows 98. In using my automatically-created Administrator account for a few months, I've customised it extensively. In my ignorance, I only discovered about the dangers of using such an account ...

  1. Duplicating a user account under Windows 2000?

    Hi,

    I've recently upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional SP4 from Windows
    98. In using my automatically-created Administrator account for a few
    months, I've customised it extensively. In my ignorance, I only
    discovered about the dangers of using such an account all the time (ie:
    greater potential for damage by any intrusions) and am now going to
    setup another non-Administrator account for everyday use as
    recommended.

    I'd like to keep all the customisations I have made (Start menu,
    Desktop, Documents etc etc) and migrate them over to a new account.
    Creating a new account and then moving the entire contents of the
    Administrator account directory (D:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator) to overwrite those in the newly created account
    is NOT having the desired effect.

    Using the Control Panel\System Properties\User Profiles\Copy To...
    feature also seems to not move everything desired.

    I'm using a standalone PC, so not using roaming profiles or anything
    like that.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Leigh Heydon
    lheydonNOSPAM@iprimus.com.au

  2. Re: Duplicating a user account under Windows 2000?

    Leigh Heydon wrote...

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've recently upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional SP4 from Windows
    >98. In using my automatically-created Administrator account for a few
    >months, I've customised it extensively. In my ignorance, I only
    >discovered about the dangers of using such an account all the time (ie:
    >greater potential for damage by any intrusions) and am now going to
    >setup another non-Administrator account for everyday use as
    >recommended.
    >
    >I'd like to keep all the customisations I have made (Start menu,
    >Desktop, Documents etc etc) and migrate them over to a new account.
    >Creating a new account and then moving the entire contents of the
    >Administrator account directory (D:\Documents and
    >Settings\Administrator) to overwrite those in the newly created account
    >is NOT having the desired effect.
    >
    >Using the Control Panel\System Properties\User Profiles\Copy To...
    >feature also seems to not move everything desired.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255095
    Duplicating User Profiles in Windows 2000

+ Reply to Thread