Redirect TCP/IP printer port to file - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Redirect TCP/IP printer port to file - Windows NT ; My customer has an application (Oracle Financials) that prints to a TCP/IP port. Apparently, it does not use GDI, i.e., the people who installed the app created a TCP/IP port, but no printer in the Printers group uses this port. ...

  1. Redirect TCP/IP printer port to file

    My customer has an application (Oracle Financials) that prints to a
    TCP/IP port. Apparently, it does not use GDI, i.e., the people who
    installed the app created a TCP/IP port, but no printer in the Printers
    group uses this port.

    The print box does not have a "Print to file" option.

    Is there a way to capture the print and save it in a file? I am trying
    to get a cheque signing machine to work, and I need to see what is
    being sent to the machine, which is connected between the computer and
    the printer, so that the print passes through the machine and is
    modified by it then sent to the printer.

    The machine is able to do a hex dump of the input that it receives, but
    working with an actual print file is much easier.

  2. Re: Redirect TCP/IP printer port to file

    Try Virtual Port Monitor at
    http://www.alphatronics.com/AVPMon.html
    It's a "print to file" port monitor that
    emulates a Windows printer port and allows
    an application, such as your check signing
    application, to be run upon completion.

    You'll also need Print Services for Unix,
    (TCP/IP Print Server), assuming the app prints
    via LPR protocol. Install the Generc/Text Only
    driver and rename the printer to "checks".
    Install and configure a Virtual Port and attach it to
    the checks printer. Set up a printer destination in the
    printing application to go to the IP address of
    the computer you have installed the printer and
    LPD service, with the queue name being the printer
    name as seen in the printers folder (checks).

    Greg

    johnbrown105@hotmail.com wrote:
    > My customer has an application (Oracle Financials) that prints to a
    > TCP/IP port. Apparently, it does not use GDI, i.e., the people who
    > installed the app created a TCP/IP port, but no printer in the Printers
    > group uses this port.
    >
    > The print box does not have a "Print to file" option.
    >
    > Is there a way to capture the print and save it in a file? I am trying
    > to get a cheque signing machine to work, and I need to see what is
    > being sent to the machine, which is connected between the computer and
    > the printer, so that the print passes through the machine and is
    > modified by it then sent to the printer.
    >
    > The machine is able to do a hex dump of the input that it receives, but
    > working with an actual print file is much easier.

+ Reply to Thread