RunOnce registry key and an http page - Windows NT

This is a discussion on RunOnce registry key and an http page - Windows NT ; Hi all, After my application is uninstalled I request a reboot and I would like after the reboot to start an internet web page (the default browser of the user) where the user if he wants, to complete some data. ...

  1. RunOnce registry key and an http page

    Hi all,

    After my application is uninstalled I request a reboot and I would like
    after the reboot to start an internet web page (the default browser of
    the user) where the user if he wants, to complete some data.

    For this at the end of uninstallation I thought about adding under the
    registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce
    something like: bla http:\\www.mypage.com

    The problem is that this seems to work only sometimes, like internet
    explorer is started and showing the page. But sometimes internet
    explorer is started with no address, so it's an empty page. (tried on a
    Win2k)

    Any clue why is this happening? What am I doing wrong?
    If the solution I have chosen doesn't work, how else could I implement
    this?

    Thanks in advance,
    Viv

  2. Re: RunOnce registry key and an http page

    "Viviana Vc" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > After my application is uninstalled I request a reboot and I would like
    > after the reboot to start an internet web page (the default browser of
    > the user) where the user if he wants, to complete some data.
    >
    > For this at the end of uninstallation I thought about adding under the
    > registry key:
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce
    > something like: bla http:\\www.mypage.com
    >
    > The problem is that this seems to work only sometimes, like internet
    > explorer is started and showing the page. But sometimes internet
    > explorer is started with no address, so it's an empty page. (tried on a
    > Win2k)
    >
    > Any clue why is this happening? What am I doing wrong?
    > If the solution I have chosen doesn't work, how else could I implement
    > this?

    If I remember correctly, I tried to use RunOnce for own of my programs
    and found that it ran too early in the start-up sequence for my purposes.
    You may be running into the same problem.

    --
    -GJC [MS Windows SDK MVP]
    -Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls)

  3. Re: RunOnce registry key and an http page

    I thought about this being the problem, but I wasn't sure.
    How can I be sure that this is the problem? And also how can I implement
    this if just adding an url to RunOnce doesn't work?

    Thx,
    Viv

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:14:17 -0500, "Gary Chanson"
    wrote :

    >"Viviana Vc" wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> After my application is uninstalled I request a reboot and I would like
    >> after the reboot to start an internet web page (the default browser of
    >> the user) where the user if he wants, to complete some data.
    >>
    >> For this at the end of uninstallation I thought about adding under the
    >> registry key:
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce
    >> something like: bla http:\\www.mypage.com
    >>
    >> The problem is that this seems to work only sometimes, like internet
    >> explorer is started and showing the page. But sometimes internet
    >> explorer is started with no address, so it's an empty page. (tried on a
    >> Win2k)
    >>
    >> Any clue why is this happening? What am I doing wrong?
    >> If the solution I have chosen doesn't work, how else could I implement
    >> this?

    > If I remember correctly, I tried to use RunOnce for own of my programs
    >and found that it ran too early in the start-up sequence for my purposes.
    >You may be running into the same problem.

  4. Re: RunOnce registry key and an http page

    Add an .lnk or .bat into All Users\.... Startup and have it delete itself..
    Or write a small tool that starts it with a delay (Sleep() +
    ShellExecute()).

    - Sten
    "Viviana Vc" wrote in message
    > I thought about this being the problem, but I wasn't sure.
    > How can I be sure that this is the problem? And also how can I implement
    > this if just adding an url to RunOnce doesn't work?
    >
    > Thx,
    > Viv
    >
    > On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:14:17 -0500, "Gary Chanson"
    > wrote :
    >

    > >"Viviana Vc" wrote in message
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> After my application is uninstalled I request a reboot and I would like
    > >> after the reboot to start an internet web page (the default browser of
    > >> the user) where the user if he wants, to complete some data.
    > >>
    > >> For this at the end of uninstallation I thought about adding under the
    > >> registry key:
    > >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce
    > >> something like: bla http:\\www.mypage.com
    > >>
    > >> The problem is that this seems to work only sometimes, like internet
    > >> explorer is started and showing the page. But sometimes internet
    > >> explorer is started with no address, so it's an empty page. (tried on a
    > >> Win2k)
    > >>
    > >> Any clue why is this happening? What am I doing wrong?
    > >> If the solution I have chosen doesn't work, how else could I implement
    > >> this?

    > > If I remember correctly, I tried to use RunOnce for own of my

    programs
    > >and found that it ran too early in the start-up sequence for my purposes.
    > >You may be running into the same problem.

  5. Re: RunOnce registry key and an http page

    "Sten Westerback" wrote in message
    > Add an .lnk or .bat into All Users\.... Startup and have it delete

    itself..
    > Or write a small tool that starts it with a delay (Sleep() +
    > ShellExecute()).

    Or do the same using a value under the Run key. Both this and the items
    in the Startup folder get executed much later in the startup sequence.

    --
    -GJC [MS Windows SDK MVP]
    -Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls)
    - http://www.mvps.org/ArcaneIncantations/consulting.htm
    -gchanson@mvps.org

    > - Sten
    > "Viviana Vc" wrote in message
    > > I thought about this being the problem, but I wasn't sure.
    > > How can I be sure that this is the problem? And also how can I implement
    > > this if just adding an url to RunOnce doesn't work?
    > >
    > > Thx,
    > > Viv
    > >
    > > On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:14:17 -0500, "Gary Chanson"
    > > wrote :
    > >

    > > >"Viviana Vc" wrote in message

    like

    of

    the

    implement

    > > > If I remember correctly, I tried to use RunOnce for own of my

    > programs
    > > >and found that it ran too early in the start-up sequence for my

    purposes.
    > > >You may be running into the same problem.

  6. Re: RunOnce registry key and an http page

    Is it processed before shell starts?

    "Gary Chanson" wrote in message

    > If I remember correctly, I tried to use RunOnce for own of my programs
    > and found that it ran too early in the start-up sequence for my purposes.
    > You may be running into the same problem.
    >
    > --
    > -GJC [MS Windows SDK MVP]
    > -Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls)
    > - http://www.mvps.org/ArcaneIncantations/consulting.htm
    > -gchanson@mvps.org

  7. Re: RunOnce registry key and an http page

    I couldn't really tell for sure but I don't think so. It seems to start
    just after the shell started but before any other programs are started. I
    think it's the shell which launches all of the startup programs.

    --

    "Alexander Grigoriev" wrote in message
    > Is it processed before shell starts?
    >
    > "Gary Chanson" wrote in message
    > >

    > > If I remember correctly, I tried to use RunOnce for own of my

    programs
    > > and found that it ran too early in the start-up sequence for my

    purposes.
    > > You may be running into the same problem.
    > >
    > > --
    > > -GJC [MS Windows SDK MVP]
    > > -Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls)
    > > - http://www.mvps.org/ArcaneIncantations/consulting.htm
    > > -gchanson@mvps.org

  8. Re: RunOnce registry key and an http page

    The weird things are:
    1) Internet Explorer is opened but the link in the "address" bar is
    missing (is empty), so it can not be something related with the fact
    that a module was not yet initialized right? As the address bar entry is
    empty obviusly the IE stays empty.
    2) If I add the same entry in the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
    it works perfectly even though in MSDNL is written:

    "the keys are loaded in the following order:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServicesOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    StartUp Folder
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce"

    which basically doesn't make any sense as HKLM\...\RunOnce is loaded
    before HKCU\...\RunOnce and still for me first one works, but not the
    2nd one.

    Viv

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:54:26 +0100, Viviana Vc
    wrote :

    >Hi all,
    >
    >After my application is uninstalled I request a reboot and I would like
    >after the reboot to start an internet web page (the default browser of
    >the user) where the user if he wants, to complete some data.
    >
    >For this at the end of uninstallation I thought about adding under the
    >registry key:
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce
    >something like: bla http:\\www.mypage.com
    >
    >The problem is that this seems to work only sometimes, like internet
    >explorer is started and showing the page. But sometimes internet
    >explorer is started with no address, so it's an empty page. (tried on a
    >Win2k)
    >
    >Any clue why is this happening? What am I doing wrong?
    >If the solution I have chosen doesn't work, how else could I implement
    >this?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Viv

+ Reply to Thread