cannot login; netlogon service not running - Windows NT

This is a discussion on cannot login; netlogon service not running - Windows NT ; My WinNT 4.0 machine had a disk that went bad; so I reinstalled NT on a new disk. After the very first reboot, I have been unable to logon with this error! After trying all kinds of things (apart from ...

  1. cannot login; netlogon service not running

    My WinNT 4.0 machine had a disk that went bad; so I reinstalled NT on
    a new disk. After the very first reboot, I have been unable to logon
    with this error!
    After trying all kinds of things (apart from re-reinstalling), I
    decided to use an old Repair disk but I continue to get the same
    error.
    Any suggestions on how I can fix this without re-installing NT!
    Its very frustrating to not be able to login at all - I have a local
    network but now I don't even know if the machine is on the network to
    remotely start the netlogon service ...

    much thanks!
    sri

  2. Re: cannot login; netlogon service not running

    Did you reinstall NT over the top of the old install? If so the machine is
    most likely very damaged and not repairable. NT does not support installing
    ove itself like Windows 98 does. It usually doesn't even boot after doing
    this. It is basically because of the difference in files when you install
    Service packs etc. Now you have a total mismatch of files in the system.
    Some with Service Pack1 and some with whatever Service Pack the machine was
    at before you reinstalled. Also NEVER use and old ERD to repair a system as
    this does the same thing and usually destroys the install. A reisntall is
    probably going to be the best bet at this point.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    wrote in message
    news:19115048.0402020130.1c38a67c@posting.google.c om...
    > My WinNT 4.0 machine had a disk that went bad; so I reinstalled NT on
    > a new disk. After the very first reboot, I have been unable to logon
    > with this error!
    > After trying all kinds of things (apart from re-reinstalling), I
    > decided to use an old Repair disk but I continue to get the same
    > error.
    > Any suggestions on how I can fix this without re-installing NT!
    > Its very frustrating to not be able to login at all - I have a local
    > network but now I don't even know if the machine is on the network to
    > remotely start the netlogon service ...
    >
    > much thanks!
    > sri

  3. Re: cannot login; netlogon service not running

    No, I created and formatted a new partition and then re-installed NT.
    I think I got messed up after trying to use the Repair Disk.
    I have the disks that Dell sent me when I bought the PC but the
    product keys are not on the disk. Any idea how I can get them ? Can I
    somehow look at the registry files on by original disk that's bad to
    figure it out ?

    thanks,
    Sri

    "Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote in message news:...
    > Did you reinstall NT over the top of the old install? If so the machine is
    > most likely very damaged and not repairable. NT does not support installing
    > ove itself like Windows 98 does. It usually doesn't even boot after doing
    > this. It is basically because of the difference in files when you install
    > Service packs etc. Now you have a total mismatch of files in the system.
    > Some with Service Pack1 and some with whatever Service Pack the machine was
    > at before you reinstalled. Also NEVER use and old ERD to repair a system as
    > this does the same thing and usually destroys the install. A reisntall is
    > probably going to be the best bet at this point.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > wrote in message
    > news:19115048.0402020130.1c38a67c@posting.google.c om...
    > > My WinNT 4.0 machine had a disk that went bad; so I reinstalled NT on
    > > a new disk. After the very first reboot, I have been unable to logon
    > > with this error!
    > > After trying all kinds of things (apart from re-reinstalling), I
    > > decided to use an old Repair disk but I continue to get the same
    > > error.
    > > Any suggestions on how I can fix this without re-installing NT!
    > > Its very frustrating to not be able to login at all - I have a local
    > > network but now I don't even know if the machine is on the network to
    > > remotely start the netlogon service ...
    > >
    > > much thanks!
    > > sri

  4. Re: cannot login; netlogon service not running

    btw, is there any way to start the netlogon service over the network ?
    I have another WinXP system on the same LAN.
    Though I still have the problem of not knowing the NT system's IP or
    hostname.

    "Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote in message news:...
    > Did you reinstall NT over the top of the old install? If so the machine is
    > most likely very damaged and not repairable. NT does not support installing
    > ove itself like Windows 98 does. It usually doesn't even boot after doing
    > this. It is basically because of the difference in files when you install
    > Service packs etc. Now you have a total mismatch of files in the system.
    > Some with Service Pack1 and some with whatever Service Pack the machine was
    > at before you reinstalled. Also NEVER use and old ERD to repair a system as
    > this does the same thing and usually destroys the install. A reisntall is
    > probably going to be the best bet at this point.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > wrote in message
    > news:19115048.0402020130.1c38a67c@posting.google.c om...
    > > My WinNT 4.0 machine had a disk that went bad; so I reinstalled NT on
    > > a new disk. After the very first reboot, I have been unable to logon
    > > with this error!
    > > After trying all kinds of things (apart from re-reinstalling), I
    > > decided to use an old Repair disk but I continue to get the same
    > > error.
    > > Any suggestions on how I can fix this without re-installing NT!
    > > Its very frustrating to not be able to login at all - I have a local
    > > network but now I don't even know if the machine is on the network to
    > > remotely start the netlogon service ...
    > >
    > > much thanks!
    > > sri

  5. Re: cannot login; netlogon service not running

    Product key (25 chars) is usually on label sticked on machine case (with MS
    holo). If there is not any, contact support of Dell and provide serial
    number of your machine (it is on back side of case). They will help you to
    find correct product key.

    luck

    George

    píse v diskusním