Long Tape Verify Times - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Long Tape Verify Times - Windows NT ; Hi folks, The new Win 2003 server has been running automated backups with verify for a little over a week now. Most nights, the verify time is almost exactly the same as the backup time. On two nights though, the ...

  1. Long Tape Verify Times

    Hi folks,
    The new Win 2003 server has been running automated backups with verify
    for a little over a week now. Most nights, the verify time is almost
    exactly the same as the backup time. On two nights though, the verify
    time has been much longer: 43 minutes and a little over an hour, versus
    18 minutes for other nights.

    The first time it happened, I thought it might be a bad tape, but the
    second time has me wondering, and asking questions. There are no users
    on the system, and only one workstation at this time, and there are no
    automated processes (at least, none that I created). The backup begins
    at midnight.

    Any idea why the verify time might be much longer some nights?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dan Beaton

    NB: If you wish to email me, please send the message to
    dan dot beaton at sympatico dot ca.

  2. Re: Long Tape Verify Times

    On 2004-02-01, Dan Beaton wrote:

    > The new Win 2003 server has been running automated backups with verify
    > for a little over a week now. Most nights, the verify time is almost
    > exactly the same as the backup time. On two nights though, the verify
    > time has been much longer: 43 minutes and a little over an hour, versus
    > 18 minutes for other nights.
    >
    > The first time it happened, I thought it might be a bad tape, but the
    > second time has me wondering, and asking questions. There are no users
    > on the system, and only one workstation at this time, and there are no
    > automated processes (at least, none that I created). The backup begins
    > at midnight.
    >
    > Any idea why the verify time might be much longer some nights?

    Nothing in the error logs?

    Maybe the tape drive needs cleaning.

    --

    -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

  3. Re: Long Tape Verify Times

    Error logs? ntbackup writes to backupnn.log, and I was under the
    impression that it captured all pertinent information. (A full log is
    enabled, which lists all files backed up, as well as status reports.)
    If there are other logs, what would they be called?

    As for cleaning, the system is only a few weeks old. Cleaning should not be
    an issue.
    Dan

    John Thompson (john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org) writes:
    > On 2004-02-01, Dan Beaton wrote:
    >
    >> The new Win 2003 server has been running automated backups with verify
    >> for a little over a week now. Most nights, the verify time is almost
    >> exactly the same as the backup time. On two nights though, the verify
    >> time has been much longer: 43 minutes and a little over an hour, versus
    >> 18 minutes for other nights.
    >>
    >> The first time it happened, I thought it might be a bad tape, but the
    >> second time has me wondering, and asking questions. There are no users
    >> on the system, and only one workstation at this time, and there are no
    >> automated processes (at least, none that I created). The backup begins
    >> at midnight.
    >>
    >> Any idea why the verify time might be much longer some nights?

    > Nothing in the error logs?
    >
    > Maybe the tape drive needs cleaning.
    >
    > --
    >
    > -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)